J Mascis Muff Clone

Started by clockwork green, August 23, 2011, 05:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

...now all you need is an Adidas jacket and you'll be just like J
http://www.tymguitars.com.au/?p=3571
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Don't forget your J. Mascis custom Jazzmaster from Fender.

Discö Rice

I would purchase both of those products. The only bummer for me is the basswood body on the jazzmaster. A pretty paint job like that on the softest wood possible is just begging for heartbreak.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

Is there anything special on the Mascis Jazzmaster? If not there's Warmoth, get a nice Mahogany body and a maple neck.

xayk

I've had the jacket for a while, just waiting for the pedal.

I think the Fender has a J specific bridge and pickups, but I'm too lazy to look that up.  I've had Jazzmaster lust for a few years now - aside from Warmoth, what are my best Jazzmaster-style options?  I'm tempted by the Xavier's, and I know there's a new-ish Squier to be had.

Hemisaurus

Don't Rondo do Jazzmasters, or is it just Strats with P90s?

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 23, 2011, 06:50:24 PM
Is there anything special on the Mascis Jazzmaster? If not there's Warmoth, get a nice Mahogany body and a maple neck.
Vintage-voiced JM style P-90s, a gold anodized metal pickguard, increased break angle on bridge for better sustain, bitchin purple metal flake paint job, jumbo frets, beefed up whammy bar (threaded)... That's all I can think of.

Instant Dan

Eh, just get a Ronsound Hairpie '75. Best Ram Head Muff clone besides the Bluebeard I have played.

Jake

That pedal is too rich for my blood but that was a very enjoyable read. Thanks for the post.
poop.

Hemisaurus

Wonder what version of the Muff the VD-1 is based on? For $37 and some parts you could maybe get a Rams Head clone for cheap.

clockwork green

Quote from: Jake on August 23, 2011, 09:49:32 PM
That pedal is too rich for my blood but that was a very enjoyable read. Thanks for the post.
Yeah, that's what I thought. His blog in general is entertaining and I appreciate someone going that far to make something. Maybe if I was more into muffs (I very rarely like them with guitar) I'd consider getting one but it's not my thing.
This would be cool if it wasn't so expensive: http://www.tymguitars.com.au/?page_id=4&shopp_pid=1096

Discö Rice

I forgot - that Jazzmaster also has a satin finished neck (which I love).

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 23, 2011, 10:45:17 PM
Wonder what version of the Muff the VD-1 is based on? For $37 and some parts you could maybe get a Rams Head clone for cheap.

They don't sound bad, but the way it's built makes it pretty annoying to mod.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO)))
They don't sound bad, but the way it's built makes it pretty annoying to mod.

but for a few more dollars more you could find a russian muff, and sometimes the NYC ones.

Hemisaurus

I haven't seen inside one, is it all surface mount?

The main deal with the Rams Head is it uses PNP instead of NPN transistors, though I think most of the deal with the tone comes in EHX constantly changing the values of coupling capacitors, the Ram uses .1 the new issues use 1, and a bunch of other cap values are changed.

If it hadn't been surface mount, it would have been cheaper than buying a generic Muff board and populating it yourself.

If I wanted to RAM-ify a standard Muff, I probably wouldn't worry too much about values that were different by less than 25%. I'd put that 10uF on the input, which I imagine lets way more low end into the first gain stage, be interesting to just do that mod first, and then sub the .1uF in place of the 1uF one section at a time working from input to output, and hear how it changes along the way.

Anyone feel like sending me their Muff and it can come back a Ram ;D

VOLVO)))

Everything is surface mount inside the Behringer. It doesn't sound bad, though. The switch is garbage...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 24, 2011, 11:14:14 AM
I haven't seen inside one, is it all surface mount?

The main deal with the Rams Head is it uses PNP instead of NPN transistors, though I think most of the deal with the tone comes in EHX constantly changing the values of coupling capacitors, the Ram uses .1 the new issues use 1, and a bunch of other cap values are changed.

If it hadn't been surface mount, it would have been cheaper than buying a generic Muff board and populating it yourself.

If I wanted to RAM-ify a standard Muff, I probably wouldn't worry too much about values that were different by less than 25%. I'd put that 10uF on the input, which I imagine lets way more low end into the first gain stage, be interesting to just do that mod first, and then sub the .1uF in place of the 1uF one section at a time working from input to output, and hear how it changes along the way.

Anyone feel like sending me their Muff and it can come back a Ram ;D

i'll send one to you that has  a bad switch and you can ram it. seriously.

Hemisaurus

You wanna drop it in the post, or we could grab some pizza in Decatur or something?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 24, 2011, 12:53:54 PM
You wanna drop it in the post, or we could grab some pizza in Decatur or something?

sadly, post office is probably the best bet. i'm so flippin busy right now with my jobs, kid, blah blah blah.

unless . . . i could talk you into driving over for a show my band has on sept 2 in champaign? we could drink a few beers . . .

just Bmail me yr address.

Chovie D

clockwork green

Quote from: Chovie D on August 25, 2011, 01:37:40 PM
LOVE my ramshead....
That would mean something entirely different in general discussion.

Chovie D

Quote from: clockwork green on August 25, 2011, 09:39:50 PM
LOVE my ramshead....

IM not scottish or anything, i dont covet sheep vadge..would saying ramshead bug muff help any?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Chovie D on August 26, 2011, 01:23:47 PM
LOVE my ramshead....

IM not scottish or anything, i dont covet sheep vadge..would saying ramshead bug muff help any?

ramshead bug muff, is that the muff of the bug that lives on the ramshead, which would make your winky dinky ;D

That's to get you back for the scottish comment. >:(

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 26, 2011, 04:30:10 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on August 26, 2011, 01:23:47 PM
LOVE my ramshead....

ramshead bug muff, is that the muff of the bug that lives on the ramshead, which would make your winky dinky ;D

That's to get you back for the scottish comment. >:(

don't worry hemi, he's probably not worth wasting the hagis on.

Hemisaurus

Two g's justin ;D