Stupid bills and economic slump.

Started by Instant Dan, August 22, 2011, 03:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

Got bills to pay and it seems like right now (because of the economic slump) amps that once were going for more than they are worth are now being let go for fair prices (Master Volume Marshall JMP's, Sunn Model T's, one Orange OTR80 reissue).

justinhedrick

Quote from: Instant Dan on August 22, 2011, 03:58:10 PM
Got bills to pay and it seems like right now (because of the economic slump) amps that once were going for more than they are worth are now being let go for fair prices (Master Volume Marshall JMP's, Sunn Model T's, one Orange OTR80 reissue).

yeah, our boat's getting pretty full, isn't it? but, i guess that's the way it goes . . .

bitter

It's all that greed. people finally having to be fair about asking prices...

maybe in a few years the economy will level out some?  :-[
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Instant Dan

Well it's also just a market based on demand when people have money. I hate to be one of those suckers who spent $$$ on these boutique pedal, guitar, and amp builders and it is now on some selling forum or ebay collecting dust. Oh wait, I was one of those guys. Damn myself for buying that Green Electric amp 4x12. :P

bitter

ouch, I feel for you on that. Those cabs being somewhat niche and expensive to boot.  :'(

Jake

Although I think that there are some greedy people out there, I think that prices just reflect fundamental supply and demand economics really -- you buy and/or sell at whatever the market will bear. It's a double-edged sword in that it's nice that some pretty cool stuff becomes affordable, but isn't as fun when it comes to reselling. And let's face it, many musicians (or hobbyists) tend to do a lot of both.
poop.

bitter

To clarify, I was referring to the economy as a whole with that greed comment. Someone always gets taken advantage of in the end, and no one ever learns  :(

Jake

Yeah, I wouldn't disagree with that. Seems like a big part what went wrong with the economy was the buildup of all these bubbles. Like people just assumed that the market value of things (real estate, etc.) would just continue to grow and grow. That, to me, smacks of greed.
poop.

Hemisaurus

I wonder if it's all slump related, don't you think some of it may be due to the influx of a large number of reasonably priced (or bargain basement) tube amps? Used amps used to be the only alternative to the high price of Marshall/Mesa/Fender new heads, but now there's a marketplace of sub $500 new amp heads.

Baltar

I'm making a lot less than I was in '06-'07, losing three jobs in so many years stipped me of my Sovtek 3/4 stack and my Sunn half-stack.  Now I have a re-worked Bogen P.A. and a 4x10 that I built up, $400US/CAN for both.  I'm actually pretty proud of my thrifty scores.  But it sure would be nice to have those amps back.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.