Help Upgrading Pickups???

Started by bitter, August 21, 2011, 09:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter

I'm in the market for some new p/ups in my Hagstrom super swede RI. I've researched this topic for some time now, but I could really use some help. This may be kind of tough, but I'm looking to breathe some new life into this fiddle. I basically have 2 major topics I'd like to focus on.

1) Should I be upgrading parts of the electrical system? Pots/wiring/jacks??? I read a bit about this in Jake's pot values thread and wonder how much more lively those upgrades can be tonewise?

2) Finding some new p/ups... The Hags have fairly traditional '58 style humbuckers. They're not that hot but they get the job done for the heavy stuff. I wouldn't mind something a little hotter but maybe less than say a Duncan JB, as they're a bit too compressed for my tastes. Looking for a pair of 4 conductor p/ups that will add clarity, liveliness, and that sound good coil tapped.

Bridge – I'd like something that's not too modern but is still slightly more aggressive, clearer, and richer than stock. I'd like to avoid super hot/compressed stuff. I've considered an evolution or a super 2 as they're hot but not overly so. Again, open to suggestions... How are those Super Distortions  :D?

Neck – The stock unit is too muddy and vowel like as a humbucker, and the coil tap is really weak (nearly unusable at times). I'd like something that would provide a better clean tone in lower tunings. The emphasis being in clarity/brightness and coil tap flexibility. I don't play the neck dirty much but a little extra heat wouldn't hurt.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

Yes pot values can make your pickups sound completely different, as can changing the values of your tone caps, and any other passive components in the electronics (I don't know how a super swede is wired off the top of my head).

Changing the make of the electronics, CTS pots, Switchcraft jacks, etc. will not change the sound of your instrument, but they will affect it's reliability.

I'd make a start by getting to know the raw sound of each pickup, disconnect a pickup from the wiring harness and wire it straight to a jack, and then listen to that pickup on it's own. It may sound harsh, as some pickups are designed to be loaded down with pots. If you really like the sound of the unloaded pickup, you may want to consider getting some 'no-load' pots to install.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

i just changed out pickups, pots, 3 way switch, and caps.

i went with some GFS fat pat humbuckers. I wired them per GFS wiring schematic, which was way different than the guy I had wire my guitar before had done it.
My guitar is alive again. My tone knobs actually do something. They have a really versatile sweep to them now.

Ive only played with them a bit, but I am really digging these pickups a lot. I changed from a Kent Armstron bridge humbucker, and a GFS mean 90 neck.

By the way I have a gold mean 90 in humbucker size Im willing to sell.

bitter

Ok Good things to know! GFS has a LP upgrade kit that i looked at a few weeks back http://www.guitarfetish.com/Complete-Les-Paul-Upgrade-Electrical-Component-Kit_p_179.html#, which seems to have everything I need (minus the wiring). Problem is, I cant tell what the value is on the pots. I could send an email, do y'all think a kit like that + some wiring would be a good option? I'm gonna have to see if my local shop will do this for me as I'm a rubbish tinkerer  :(

Quote from: rayinreverse on August 22, 2011, 12:38:22 AM

i went with some GFS fat pat humbuckers. I wired them per GFS wiring schematic, which was way different than the guy I had wire my guitar before had done it.
My guitar is alive again. My tone knobs actually do something. They have a really versatile sweep to them now.

Those p/ups seem like a good option as do the '59's. seems a bit hotter. they have enough output for you?

rayinreverse

The GFS kit comes with 500k and 250k pots and .047 caps I think. They might be .022 I can't remember. I bought that drop in with my fat pats.

bitter

Thank for the help here fellas. This is a lot cheaper than going Bare knuckles or some other route.

they claim the kit includes the .22 uf caps. .

Does it come with 4 or 8 pots of 250k and 500k? Or is it 2 of each? I wish they included a parts list in their description.