Main Menu

tooled leather

Started by VOLVO))), August 20, 2011, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a sheet of this shit, so I can make a pickguard? I've got one on my tele, that came with it when I bought it, costs WAY too much, because I know I can make the fucker in a heartbeat. Googled and googled, and all I get is the site that sells them for WAY TOO MUCH.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

I would say just do it yourself. That being said, I don't know what decent crafting tools cost. Harbor Freight's got a cheap set for 10 bones  :-\ but their quality is always questionable.

check this vid out; shows what the tools are capable of and the enya music has a placatory affect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPaJhHPDoxI&feature=related

EDIT: It's kinda weird that how some of those sites sell their leather. Spendy! You may wanna wait 'til farmer John puts "ole Bessy down and get them $hit$ on the cheap!
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

I googled leather supplies, got a fair amount of hits, your looking for the stiff stuff with embossed patterns on it?

Is there anything you could recycle it from? Boots, jackets, suitcases, furniture, sort of things you can pick up in a thrift store?

Saddleries might have it too. Cowboy outfitters, bike places that do upholstery work. I used to play with an upholsterer had a sweet neck thru Carvin, but he's moved out the area, else I'd ask him, most of his work was on private planes.

VOLVO)))

I think I want to tool it myself, actually. Can i get ahold of raw leather? probably can't get it in black, or can I? 1/4, maybe 3/8s thick?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

Get some of that tooled leather tolex, and glue it to your pickguard.

Works pretty goodwell.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

Yeah, I want my guitar to look like a Texan tech went at it.

Thanks, but no thanks, yokel.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

Pfffft, you city boys don't know nothin'.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

I'm moving to Texas, I heard everything is bigger there.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

Hemisaurus

I saw gator hide embossed black leather, and I imagine they would have it plain.

The minimum seems to be 17 square feet, maybe they do it by the cow?

Jor el

Now I got a hankerin' for some Texas Toast.
What Would Scooby Do ?

bitter

not sure about the thickness but this is $35 Sides average 13-15 square feet. 2 to 3 oz.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Leather/9157-22.aspx

They have other options too that are shaped like what Hemi posted.

bitter

I thought so. They seem to have a fair bit of options.

Slow

I do like the leather reclamation idea, I might troll a few goodwills. I doubt there will be anything thick enough. I can get the tools pretty easily, I'm pretty excited to at least try my hand at doing some leatherwork. Might be fun.
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

The Shocker

Quote from: Slow on August 20, 2011, 10:21:42 PM
I do like the leather reclamation idea, I might troll a few goodwills. I doubt there will be anything thick enough. I can get the tools pretty easily, I'm pretty excited to at least try my hand at doing some leatherwork. Might be fun.

Ok Waylon.  ;)

Slow

black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Hemisaurus

My grandad had a leather bowling bag, that would probably be heavy enough, if you can find one old enough to be leather not vinyl, though maybe a vinyl pickguard would work too.

jibberish

check out a place called "tandy leather supplies"

definitely keep your eyes peeled for recycle opportunities.

btw, what exact size piece (squared off dimensions pls) are you looking for anyway? 1 foot square?  6" square? 6"x12"? that sort of dimension

VOLVO)))

Just big enough to make a strat pickguard out of... I'll tool it myself, I think I can handle it. Plus, it's a rad skill to learn.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Nobody has strat guards, goddamn it. I'll make my own! :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

same site.

Hemisaurus

Or you could make your own in wood, you can do wood.

VOLVO)))

Shit! that black one is exactly what I want. It matches my tele.

75 dollars for a pickguard. I can buy a decent set of stamps for 30 bucks, leather from a local shop for real cheap (under 20 bucks for more than I need) and I get to learn a skill. I wish that shit wasn't so expensive to buy... all they do is tool it, then shellac the fuck out of it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.