Question for bass players that use their fingers instead of a pick

Started by Ranbat, August 15, 2011, 09:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I'm primarily a guitar player, but do play some bass. I like playing with my fingers as opposed to using a pick because it seems natural and makes it feel like I am playing a different instrument. I tend to anchor my thumb on the pickup and play with my index and middle finger. Occasionally I'll use my thumb or even my ring finger. Is this a common technique or am I really doing it wrong. Not that I believe there is a 'wrong' way, but am I losing something by not following an established right hand method?
Meh :/

bass sic

Pretty common technique, but try to not get too stuck on using it. Try moving your hand around some to get different tones and different feels of the strings. It's good that your using your thumb too. Something I've never worked on.

clockwork green

It's all about using your fingers and where you pluck the string for a reason. I've seen a few old R&B use their thumb especially higher up the neck for a rounder tone. Les Claypool will sometimes pick with index, middle and ring fingers on faster stuff, especially near the bridge for a brighter, spankier tone.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

bbottom

Quote from: bass sic on August 15, 2011, 10:14:48 PM
Pretty common technique, but try to not get too stuck on using it. Try moving your hand around some to get different tones and different feels of the strings. It's good that your using your thumb too. Something I've never worked on.

this

I mostly rest my thumb on the pup or the strings. I used rest it on the neck and play up pretty high, although I rarely do that anymore

Danny G

I rest my thumb on the pickup/pickup cover and use mainly index and middle finger to pick. And for a mellower tone use the corner of the neck as a rest. Sounds cool, wider range of tones.

Used ring finger occasionally for triplets, but as played diff styles with diff bands have been using mainly my index and don't use ring at all any more.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Metal and Beer

Yup, whatever you do to make the strings sound like you want is a-okay. I use a pick about 60% of the time and hold it in my palm w/ ring & pinky fingers when finger-pluckin'. Thumb, different hand positions, up, down, palm "blap", all good under the hood brah
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Ranbat

Just lookin' for pointers from experienced players as I explore. I've always played with guys that used a pick, so I've never really spent any time around somebody that played bass with their fingers. The last bass player I jammed with used up strokes almost exclusively. Even on fast picking stuff. Really weird to watch.

giantchris

Theres a bunch of different techniques it doesn't really matter as long as your wrist is straight.

Personally I alternate between a couple different techniques depending on what kind of tone I want.

-I do the one finger (index) James Jamerson picking.  I do this to give an even (more fluid) sound on some riffs.
-I do classical guitar style finger plucking (Jack Bruce does this as well I think)
-I do your standard 2 finger style and I generally pick over the end of the fretboard or directly over my sweet spot humbucker.  
-I sometimes do the Steve DiGiorgio 3 finger technique
-I will RARELY use my thumb for warm old school R&B/dub riff.  I only do that really when I am playing with this singer-songwriter chick.

Just make sure you don't experience any pain while playing and generally you get a deeper fundamental if you pluck as lightly as possible.  

VOLVO)))

I use index, middle, and ring, for my E D G and respectively, thumb for the E, most of the time.

I vary from I-M, to I-M-R depending on the style of music. I play a lot chords on bass, so.

And if I'm feeling really froggy, I play like Al in Om.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I agree with everyone.

Just to add that if you like using your ring finger too, keep throwing it in there. That's some advanced kung fu (3 finger approach). Thumb plucking - not sure how you're using it, but the most important thing is to 'get the note' and not whether your technique is pretty. Even so, if you're still learning, now would be a good time to develop good habits, or pick methods that pay off. 3 finger plucking is a good one, adds additional complexity in learning, but if you find it comfortable it's a win.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

what everyone else said..regardless of how you approach it..make sure you keep good time and less is more..

MichaelZodiac

Like people have said: there isn't really a right technique... As long as it sounds good and you're having fun, that's what it's all about. Hint: try working out some Black Sabbath songs, Geezer wasn't a guy for intricate bass stuff so it's mostly straight forward and you can learn what feels most comfortable while doing simple but awesome songs (e.g Children of the Grave)
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Ranbat

I tend to play with just my thumb for slower doomy stuff. I will use my thumb and ring finger in a more Classical style if I am playing arpeggiated chords. I use the ring finger also if I am playing triplets on a single string in a galloping fashion. Mainly though it's the thumb anchored using the index and middle to pick. I appreciate all the responses as it gives me other ideas. Right now I'm playing to mostly stuff like 60s Rock (Them, Sonics, Beatles), Sabbath and some stabs at Dragonaut by Sleep.