Main Menu

Hey guitar techs...

Started by franksnbeans, August 14, 2011, 04:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franksnbeans

I got my new guitar set up and now I am breaking strings every couple of days.  All my other guitars have had strings on them for years without breaking strings.  What could it be?

Lumpy

I'm not a tech but where are the strings breaking? That's important info.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

I'm not a tech, either.

Maybe you should post yer question on the "Ask a tech" thread.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

That would be the smart move ;D

Like was said, where it breaks is important, usually it's where it's in contact with the hardware, like the bridge, saddles, tuners or the string trees. Look for little burrs or nicks that are catching the string, especially on any new hardware, like did you get new saddles fitted, but also could be someone dropped or slipped with a tool and made a nick on the current hardware.

But ask Sunn, I haven't guitar tech'd in 20 years, the horrors of Floyd Rose  :o

VOLVO)))

Hemi said it, Check the saddles for burrs, you may not be able to see them, but they're there. Take some 220 grit sandpaper, and run it through the saddles that are breaking strings. If they're breaking at the nut, do the same through all of the nut slots. Is it a stop-tail guitar? IF it's a stop-tail, check the break behind the bridge, if it's too steep, it'll aide in breaking strings. Just raise it up evenly, if that's the case. report back.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

It appears to be breaking at the bridge.  I'll give it some sand-papering and check the steep-age.  I'll get back to you if it all works or not.

VOLVO)))

You don't want to grind out too much, just make it smooth.

EDIT: Y'all niggas be careful while doing shit that I recommend! Sandpaper is a dangerous tool, and I don't need you puttin' out an eye or something!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

it's probably because you used the "n" work sunn . . .

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

franksnbeans

Damn yo! I don't understand why the N-word entered the conversation..Does it have to do with the black metal I play? y'all is haters...Word

I fixed the steepage, and now plan to do only a few slight swipes with some 220, then 600 grit paper.

VOLVO)))

Should stop it! I play black metal, too. My afro is huge.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.