help pls: ez2 learn generic party tunes. i need a ton in a month

Started by jibberish, August 04, 2011, 04:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

my nephew is putting together some big labor day blowout weekend thing for vans/panels.   needs many hours of background music when featured bands arent playing. whole PA setup will be there. so wtf. i'll help.

i am immediately thinking ac/dc stones..????  just ez2 learn catchy crap. i would go straight to sabbath if itwas just me..but we have borderline rednecks and wtf shows up at van rallies

anyway, if y'all have learned songs that really were easy and sound cool, i would love a mention. i'll track down videos/tabs/lyrics etc as i need. i know m&b suggested some ac/dc way long ago..now i wished i prioritized those and got more into them more than just a couple tunes...

what i have in the bag that i think will work:
4 credence tunes
the "colour haze mountain ripoff jam"
4 of my own instrumental tunes <--fun catchy, not heavy
go your own way, doktor death fun version
ripple and friend of the devil, my 2 dead tunes
a set of cry in yer beer tunes:  lightin' bar blues, thank god and greyhound your gone, friends in low places, 6 pack woman.

so i need more better rock..skynyrd seems too tricky for a real quick learn, but if there are deceptively ez2 learn/play ones, please hit me up.
mucho grass

spookstrickland

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

mawso

living after midnight
kickstart my heart
communication breakdown
foxy lady

.. all relatively straightforward, relatively well known

Volume

These are all songs I've played with cover bands and what not, easy and well known.

Skynyrd:
Simple Man
Tuesday's Gone

Stones:
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction
Sympathy for the Devil
Honky Tonk Woman

Zeppelin:
Whole lotta love
Rock and roll

AC/DC:
It's a Long Way to the Top
You Shook Me all Night Long
TNT
Whole Lotta Rosie

neighbor664

RacerX

Some good easy Skynyrd songs are Gimme Three Steps and The Breeze. Both are uptempo numbers.

Don't forget some ZZ Top!

Tush
Tubesnake Boogie
Arrested for Drivin' While Blind
Jesus just Left Chicago
La Grange

Some Neil Young like Down by the River would also be good.
Livin' The Life.

The Bandit

The Boys Are Back In Town
Can't You See (don't worry about the flute part)
Train Train

Hemisaurus

You can learn every ramones tune in about 20 minutes, pick the ones you like, are the ramones suitable for a van rally?

also

Iggy - I wanna B ur Dog who doesn't love Iggy.

jibberish

funny you mentioned ramones hemi, i have been listening to adios amigo and ..ya those songs seem prtty straight forward..i think that gang can take somewhat of a radio mix and a bit of punk should fly. especially upbeat stuff
thats a lot o tunes on demand so to speak.  probably have to do sedated i guess heh but i like a couple from adios too

i wish i was talented enough to cover the entire machinehead album by deep purple.  that would be a fucking party

-------this just played on the CD player---------
so there's a bit off of king crimson's Vroom album that sounds just like jerry was a race car driver WTF?????

ok back to topic: was there any tolerable like more pop (oooh i hate invoking that word) rock songs that were easy winners?

i need to check out some kinks methinks. those are some ez barre chord deals mostly i believe

chille01

Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
Alice Cooper - I'm 18/No More Mr. Nice Guy
Thin Lizzy - Boys are Back in Town
Foghat - Slow Ride
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Mountain - Mississippi Queen
Ram Jam - Black Betty
The Nuge - Snowblind
Kiss - Strutter

wow... I just constructed a perfect storm of cliche (not that I don't love most of those tunes, but they are obviously the most obvious).  Pretty much just get the soundtrack to Dazed and Confused and learn that...

jibberish

heh chili. i WISH i could just pick up on that list.  i'm barely past unacceptable in public heh.

however, you have suggested a really legit comp tape right there.

ok strutter ....ahhhh ya ill poke thru kiss tunes. that's a good direction call.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: jibberish on August 05, 2011, 12:45:06 AM
funny you mentioned ramones hemi, i have been listening to adios amigo and ..ya those songs seem prtty straight forward..i think that gang can take somewhat of a radio mix and a bit of punk should fly. especially upbeat stuff
thats a lot o tunes on demand so to speak.  probably have to do sedated i guess heh but i like a couple from adios too

i wish i was talented enough to cover the entire machinehead album by deep purple.  that would be a fucking party

-------this just played on the CD player---------
so there's a bit off of king crimson's Vroom album that sounds just like jerry was a race car driver WTF?????

ok back to topic: was there any tolerable like more pop (oooh i hate invoking that word) rock songs that were easy winners?

i need to check out some kinks methinks. those are some ez barre chord deals mostly i believe
Hmm, Kinks are good, but you need a separate vocalist, unless you are real good, doing the vocals to You Really Got Me, whilst playing it, can fuck you up, fucks a lot of people I know up, timing wise I mean.

I did a bunch of Avril Lavigne a few years back, when my niece came down to visit. That's as pop as I can go, Lady GaGa and Justin Bieber I'm afraid you are on your own for ;)

Anythink punk can be simple, from my learnin' days, Social D and the Sex Pistols, were both good, you can do entire Social D albums, and the Pistols only made the one real album. I liked

jibberish

speaking of vocals.  yes, i'm seeing a lot of these songs, especially te ac/dc, need the vocals to be complete. heh, really would be too simple.   i also see the screaming need for the bass on some stuff like whole lotta rosie.

even a close listen to thunderstruck. just many repeats of that arpeggiated classic thing riff.  if there was no singing, that would get old.(probably wont try that even though that riff is really fun)

i think simple man is a winner.(i like the bass part better than the guitar backing part heh)  i think i actually have laGrange in a guitar magazine back section. im kind of stoked to get to the punk stuff and kiss heh, but i want to get through the more countryish stuff first.

wheni get like 6-8 chosen and feeling decent about them,  i'll pass the list to my son just to whoop up drum parts, and start that chain.  my nephew is a fair drummer and my son plays guitar better than i can and i've been spending a lot of time with the bass.
so anything i play for commentary is just my part and unless specified like a comedy tune, i wont solo this stuff.  could end up playing bass and singing a lot, but not ac/dc unless it is type o neg style covers ..heh cinnamon girl..

i actually might knock out one techno/dance type tune, or more if the crowd gets into it. ive been studying that classic dance duo 2 unlimited and the structure of the songs.  heh, there IS a riff for those. not much else except for a very compelling beat. then the chick throws in vocal pieces and vocal effects and he does little rap things here and there and little like synth solos, but the real drive of the song is the riff and the drumbeat..so...im looking at a lot of ideas. tis is really super. i need to learn all these songs anyway

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

jibberish

^that song IS party. great call.   i have a joe walsh album called "You bought it, you name it" .
being an easily amused clownshoe myself, i thought that slayed heh. i like the offspring for the same reason. they are a bunch of clowns. Crom bless 'em.

Ramones tunes haha!   total fakebook material, 3 to a page. ya. peeeps even tab those in bunches.  definitely going to say ok, only 3 and keep moving.

after listening to type o negative and "she's so heavy"..im kind of liking that for a beatles song. plus my version of "i feel fine" which i already know. ill probably check out a rowdy one like ussr or another 3 chord rocker and thats it for them

surf music...i happen to have the ventures medley half learned from long ago, (pipeline/walk dont run/wipe out)
i would love to do church key and telstar or wtf that cool song is called.

still sorting through ac/dc, but accumulating a huge pile of songs so far.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
my nephew, who won that van burnout thing, is setting this up for his van pals, and he blind emailed a ton of bands. got a ton of response. i hope he didnt email a certain cowtown band that shall not be mentioned
he just emailed me and said he met greg allman at a small music festival in grafton on fri night. wtf is gregg allman doing 10 min from me and i missed out on the info. wtf

jibberish

it seems the bands are a-plenty. i am well prepared to be "rodeo clown" in case of a lull or problems w/e, but there are lots of hungry bands. i have learned so mny new songs it is crazy. great crazy. thx all. this adventure thread is pretty much concluded, but i have gained much.