Good low-budget 4x12 cab? (not scooped)

Started by Lumpy, August 03, 2011, 07:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

What is a good 4x12 that is not too expensive? I was told that the Mesa Boogie straight cab 4x12 makes everything sound good, but those are like 500-700 dollars I think.

Are there any less expensive cabs that sound great, with lots of midrange hopefully... a good stoner rock cab?

Or recommend the right speakers, if it's more about the speakers (and I suspect it is)

I'm pretty good at hunting down used gear, so it can be from any era. It just needs to be affordable.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Instant Dan

The speakers play a big role in it. As long as you aren't running 75 watt celestions, you will be okay. I have seen some old Laney cabs with Celestions vintage 30's.

ROWDYBEER

I see Mesa cabs on craigslist for 400-500 all the time. While that's not cheap they do sound awesome.

justinhedrick

mesa cabs are awesome, but this is coming from someone who has never owned one.

my suggestion: find a beat to hell 4x12 and put some V30s in it.

RacerX

http://avatarspeakers.com/

Go to the specials/overstock. They've got the vintage contemporary 4x12 for $499+shipping. That's the one with the facing that looks like an Orange cab.

For that $$, you can get V30s, G12H30s, or both (which is a killer combo for downtuned stuff), plus many other speaker choices.
Livin' The Life.

bitter

Quote from: justinhedrick on August 03, 2011, 08:13:57 PM

my suggestion: find a beat to hell 4x12 and put some V30s in it.

+1

...Or save a few bucks by going the warehouse guitar speakers route [http://wgs4.com/content/vet30]. I've got a quad set in my Verellen and they sound pretty good.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

liquidsmoke

bitter

Nothing really wrong with them, more of a tonal preference. The 75 watt celestions, or at least the G12T-75W models (often found in Marshall 1960a & b cabs), produce that scooped mid range tone that Lumpy didn't want.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Volume

The Marshall 1960 cabs are good, easy to find and easy to resell I imagine. I don't like the G75's much, but exchanging only two of them for V30's or some other midrangey speakers will do the trick.

Jake

Although I don't prefer them, I've always been able to EQ out any harshness and dial in plenty of mids when using a Marshall cab with GT-75 Celestions.

In fact, when used in conjunction with other speakers, I've even gotten 75s to sound pretty good. They've got a pretty full, rich bottom.
poop.

tossom

I am a vintage 30s fan too, have them in my 2x12.  Put Greenbacks (Celestion G12M) in my 4x12, only advisable if you're using a 50w valve head - 100w would eat the speakers alive!  Love the sound of them though, they have a bit of midrange punch - sound great with a strat.
"Beige rock"

blackkrosses

Carvin. You can find used Carvin's as cheap as 150-200 bucks. They've never made a cheap cabinet, it's all birch-ply. The early one's have optional Celestion speakers and the Carvin speakers don't sound terrible.

mawso

Quote from: bitter end on August 04, 2011, 01:37:32 AM
Nothing really wrong with them, more of a tonal preference. The 75 watt celestions, or at least the G12T-75W models (often found in Marshall 1960a & b cabs), produce that scooped mid range tone that Lumpy didn't want.

The way internet folklore has evolved around these speakers, you'd think that the minute you even looked at a 1960A you'd instantly get Michael Angelo Batio's "tone".  They are a little scooped, compared to other Celestions anyway, but it's nothing you can't deal with by turning your mids up and treble down.  I happen to prefer my 75 watt 2X12 over my greenback 2X12 for most stuff - heresy I know - and I do go for a very midrangey tone.

Ranbat

Maybe various Peavey cabs? They seem pretty cheap. I've had several Butcher cabs over the years that had Celestion G12K-85s in them and they seem to sound good with most any amp I've put through them. On the downside, I have never been able to get a clean I was happy with through those cabs.
Meh :/

VOLVO)))

Peavey cabs are fuckin' solid if you get the older ones... they're mostly celestion equipped and are dirt cheap...

Just do it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

QuoteThe way internet folklore has evolved around these speakers, you'd think that the minute you even looked at a 1960A you'd instantly get Michael Angelo Batio's "tone".

Granted, they're able to span quite a range of sounds, from AC/DC to Rainbow, through Priest/Maiden, and yes, all the crappy hair metal and shred metal you could shake a stick at. They can also get pretty heavy with the treble rolled off, but I personally don't like the shimmery high end on them. And because I like some treble in my tone, that's the deal-breaker for me.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

poop.

Lumpy

Quote from: Ranbat on August 06, 2011, 12:01:31 PM
Maybe various Peavey cabs? They seem pretty cheap. I've had several Butcher cabs over the years that had Celestion G12K-85s in them and they seem to sound good with most any amp I've put through them. On the downside, I have never been able to get a clean I was happy with through those cabs.

That's what I've got. It's a weeee bit scooped. With my setup, I think I need something that's a wee bit mid-heavy (or a more). I'm not able to easily get the sound I want (possibly due to user error). I may be crazy but I think it's just due to the stuff I'm sending it, no fault of the Peavey cab. They are built Ford tough... I believe that cab may be indestructible, and I do recommend it (150 dollar used 4x12 w/Celestion speakers!) I think I need to try something else. Maybe I need to borrow something, and see what a different cab would bring.

Ranbat

Definitely try brrowing a cab and see what you hear. Then maybe just swap out the speakers before you return the cab  ;D jk
Meh :/

mawso

Quote from: RacerX on August 06, 2011, 12:30:17 PM
QuoteThe way internet folklore has evolved around these speakers, you'd think that the minute you even looked at a 1960A you'd instantly get Michael Angelo Batio's "tone".

Granted, they're able to span quite a range of sounds, from AC/DC to Rainbow, through Priest/Maiden, and yes, all the crappy hair metal and shred metal you could shake a stick at. They can also get pretty heavy with the treble rolled off, but I personally don't like the shimmery high end on them. And because I like some treble in my tone, that's the deal-breaker for me.

Maybe it's an age thing?  Because both of the 75-equipped cabs I've had have dated from the 80s - my old JCM800 1960A, which I never should have sold, and my current 1966B.  And I find them pretty easy to dial in.. with a midrangey amp anyway.  I don't go for a total treble roll-off either.  But those speakers are all 25+ years old, and they've been used for all that time too.. my experience with newer 75s is basically zero I guess.

The Riffer

I just took in on a trade and sold a pair of Peavey Windsor cabs. I thought they were pretty decent. Especially for the money. Not saying they are great, but for a beater cab, I'd hit it.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

VOLVO)))

The Windsor cabs aren't bad cabs. Lumpster, what're you powering everything with?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

heytrid

Just look for a used Mesa cab, I had one and they have lots of midrange and sound decent, I LOVE the sound of them or anything with 2 V30's and 2 G12T-75's in them. That is what you could do however if you found a marshall cab with 75's in it, see if you can trade some speaker with someone and get what you want. this way it is nice and versatile.

Pretty much anything in the lower range it would be a "try with your amp/setup" setup to see what sounds good to you and then if it is worth it.

Also for new stuff, if there is a traynor dealer near you, you can call them. new cabs are all birch 2 models are avail with v30 or g12t-75's and retail new for between $500-700 here in canada.

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=2&cat=18&id=417
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=2&cat=18&id=441

Lumpy

Quote from: SunnO))) on August 07, 2011, 08:26:44 PM
The Windsor cabs aren't bad cabs. Lumpster, what're you powering everything with?

Earth B2000 Superbass head. My whole signal chain is a bit weird though (bass guitar with flatwounds is just the beginning). The Peavey with Celestions can be a little too harsh with my particular setup, and there is way more bass on tap than I can use. I have the amp's mids way up, and it's still not ideal.

What are the stock speakers in a Mesa Boogie cab? Any difference between the Mesa cabs with a metal grille, and ones with fabric/mesh?

chille01

This thread is very interesting to me right now, as I picked up an old Garnet 212 recently on a whim, and am interested in swapping the drivers out.  Thinking Celestions.... V30's or Greenbacks probably, to build a portable 8 ohm cab for my Traynor YBA-1.  Also interested if anyone has any comments or links about cab size/volume... as this thing seems pretty small to me.  It's outside dimensions are roughly 26.5x16.5x9. It's built of 3/4" wood of some type, but I don't think its birch, because its pretty light.  I can haul it with one hand easily.  Has two circular ports of of about 2" on the baffle, which I'm considered covering one or both of... but I don't know if they are there because of the small size or what?