Anyone playing a MM Stingray 5?

Started by Corey Y, July 29, 2011, 03:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Y

I've been thinking of adding a 5 string to my arsenal lately and found a great deal on one locally. Not interested in it for down tuning, I have my Kramer 450B tuned to BEAD. Our band plays in Eb and a lot of the songs use inverted power chords, so I end up playing a lot of lines on the A string, and I'd like to be able to arrange my bass lines differently and exploit that B string for more low end. I've never owned a Music Man bass before. I always got the impression they were favored for a very aggressive high end and I use a pretty thick, bassy tone, not a lot of zing. I do know the bassist from Wallrus uses one and I love his bass tone (though it's definitely not the tone I use currently).

What say ye? Anyone rocking the SR5?

bass sic

I have an HH4, not a 5 but still a stingray. It has a lot of ballsy low end. The thing plays and sounds perfect, but there's no mojo with this bass. I always go back to the Pbass. I chose not to go with a fiver because in my opinion there's just better tone in a four string, and I really don't need the extra couple notes. There's only so high I go above drop C. Still, it's a great second bass and totally reliable unlike my old P.

Corey Y

Yeah, I don't play in a really low tuning for my main band, so I could make use of the full scale of a 5 string easily. I have songs where I use all 4 strings and the main riff goes up from the 3rd fret on the A string, so I could really make use of a B string to rearrange my parts. I figured I'd stick with a 34" scale fiver to preserve the sound I'm used to on E-G. Typically I play either my Carvin SB4000, which is basically a jazz bass, or my Fender MIM Precision. I love my Carvin, but it's a little too hi-fi most of the time for what I'm playing so I've been using the Precision more often lately. Also the Precision is about a pound lighter and I have a bum shoulder.

So I've thought about picking up a MIA P5 or some other 34" scale Precision based 5 string, but I figured I'd give the Stingray an honest consideration. Especially because I got offered a great deal for a mint condition with a hardshell case in my favorite color scheme. I figured if I don't like it at all I could probably sell it and make my money back or even make a little off of it.

bass sic

I don't think you will be disappointed in the SR. I say go for it.

MikeyT

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Corey Y

I pulled the trigger on it, just got back from picking it up. Mint condition made in 2007, with the original hardshell case and case candy, $1050. The same model lists for $1645 on basscentral right now.

giantchris

I always liked stingrays seem to have a deeper growl then Rics.  Prefer the necks and the string taper as well.  Thats a nice looking one you really can't go wrong with a tobacco burst.  Post some clips!

Thats a pretty decent price too.

bloodofkings

Owned one for a while. I loved the way it played but I was always fighting how snappy of a tone it had. Also heaviest damned bass I ever owned. With that aside it was a great bass. I wound up trading it for a MIA Jazz Bass. Kinda wish I didn't.
I can't crap for shit.

Corey Y

I had sort of written them off because of the usual weight, but this one is only 8.7 lbs.

bass sic

Mine is way lighter than my fender. Almost feels cheap it's so light weight.

Corey Y

Well, I used the Stingray 5 at practice tonight. It wasn't really to my taste, which was a bit disheartening. I guess the best description I could use is it isn't "rude" enough for me. Too smooth sounding for my rig. I suspect it would shine with a very modern aggressive bright, scooped mid tone. It's definitely a great instrument, really comfortable to play, but I suspect it will be moving on soon to someone who will appreciate it more.

bass sic

Even with different strings and maybe tweaking the onboard EQ? Or maybe its the 5 string lack of tone I mentioned. Just seems to me 4 strings sound better.

Corey Y

A change of strings might push it further towards what I like tonally. I did a lot of tweaking with the eq and pickup settings, but could dial it in to my liking. I think it might just be a matter of taste. So many vaiables, I haven't played a stingray or a five string before, either one or both might just not be for me.

bass sic

At least you can make your money back on it, and then some.

Corey Y

Yep, just made back my money selling it to a guy who has owned a few before and will surely appreciate it a lot more. It's like I got a 4 day free trial. Definitely the quickest turnaround on buying and selling a piece of gear for me, but oh well.

bass sic

If you can, try a four string. Its a different world. You might like it a lot.