Main Menu

73' sg for $1250...

Started by kirky, July 02, 2011, 12:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

xander face

that's killer because it's in great shape

"reduced from $2500" haha now he's charging what it's actually worth...

keep in mind that gibsons from the 70's aren't exactly "vintage spec" and that a late 80's or even a brand new SG is gona have more in common with the kick-ass 60's ones than the 70's...other than the fact that the 70's ones have had time to break in...

what i'm saying is, you could buy a lamer guitar for that price.  much lamer.

Slow

black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

johnny problem

That bridge is disgusting and looks rather culprit.  I'm a big fan of those block inlays, though.  On a side note, the finish on this guitar still looks superb, doesn't appear to have any cracks or anything.

MikeyT

" "reduced from $2500" haha now he's charging what it's actually worth..."

Ha, ha, ha.  Exactly. I dig the 70's guitars (well, mainly 70's Strats), but this "vintage" price stuff is way over the top.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

the diddler

"Steel humbuckers"!!  That Schaller harmonica bridge is hideous but was standard issue on a lot of 70's SGs. 

black_out

fuck the guitar, I want the head off of that kick!
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Slow

Fuck the guitar and kick, I want some head!
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

MikeyT

Quote from: xander face on July 02, 2011, 01:15:32 AM
other than the fact that the 70's ones have had time to break in...

what i'm saying is, you could buy a lamer guitar for that price.  much lamer.

By "time to break in", I assume you mean the wood has had more time to dry out, tending to make the guitar sound sweeter and more resonant. Aging wood along with what playing does to it, right?
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Pissy

I have a '77 model that is exactly like that. The bridge never bothered me. In a sea of SG's that look alike, that and the inlay being straight up blocks instead of trapezoids makes it a bit unique. It feels better for palm muting.

That guitar is the one I'm going back in for when the house burns down and the wife and kids are safe. Mine has a headstock repair so it isn't worth much more than $700 i figure, but i played it for so long that I'm married to it.
Vinyls.   deal.

Jake

Not a knock on anyone that has a 70s SG, but those have always seemed a little funky to me. Some of them have body contours that got kinda squirrely and the neck pickup sitting on the fretboard always seemed a little iffy.
poop.

SpaceTrucker

Aren't the 70's SG's the ones with extra wood at the headstock to keep it from snapping off with a blink of an eye? or am I just imagining I heard this? ???

The Shocker

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on July 13, 2011, 01:46:32 PM
Aren't the 70's SG's the ones with extra wood at the headstock to keep it from snapping off with a blink of an eye? or am I just imagining I heard this? ???

You mean the volute?  Yeah, they have them.  Or at least some of them do.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: deaner33 on July 13, 2011, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: SpaceTrucker on July 13, 2011, 01:46:32 PM

You mean the volute?  Yeah, they have them.  Or at least some of them do.

DEAN WITH TECHNICAL INFORMATION! +1 applaud
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Blushes

My SG-100 had a volute which didn't bother me, but the fucking neck joint was massive and really got in the way.

xander face

Quote from: MikeyT on July 03, 2011, 01:39:54 AM
By "time to break in", I assume you mean the wood has had more time to dry out, tending to make the guitar sound sweeter and more resonant. Aging wood along with what playing does to it, right?

The drying out thing is a big part of it, but I'm convinced that actually playing a guitar makes it better over time...

You know all the subtle little adjustments and tweaks you do to make your favorite guitar sound better or play better?  Add up all of those tiny little adjustments for like 30-40 years and you've got something that not even the best of techs could do in one sitting.

I've also heard that guitars can get used to vibrating more...stories about dudes taking new Les Pauls on tour and not playing them, just leaving them sitting in front of a half stack to get "loosened up" by the vibrations...and when I play my friend's real 58 Les Paul, the one he gigged on regularly since he bought it as a teenager in the 60's, it's like the guitar knows what I'm going to do before I do it.

You hit the strings and it's like "Oh, yeah, Em, I know that one.  What else you got?"

It's the 'mojo' people talk about when they're playin these old guitars...they've just got more vibe, more spirit to 'em.  When I buy a guitar I like to make sure it's at least 10 years old because of that...when I bought my Les Paul I wanted it to be at least as old as I am :D

Volume

QuoteThis posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

I can't see the pic, but I assume it's like my SG. Ebony fretboard, harmonica bridge and super narrow neck at the nut. It's a great guitar, but the neck and bridge might put some people off, but to me it just gives the guitar more personality.