what gauge guitar strings do you use, and what tuning?

Started by justinhedrick, May 20, 2011, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pundan

I found this new awesome set that is .68 - 14. Awesome for A#.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Pundan on June 26, 2012, 04:28:24 PM

where did you find these? brand?

Metal and Beer

.11's for standard tunin', but I'll occasionally jump a gauge either way for a change o' pace, heavier gauges for lower tuning, never higher than .13 though and I definitely prefer a plain G string (when I was learning I evidently learned to rely on the "feel" of that string in that position to help keep my place, for lack of a better description? I've tried wound thirds and it always fucks me up!)
   In decades of playing I've never heard a difference in major brands, frankly, although I got some shitty ones in a bargain pack a few times--ball winding comes unwound, etc.)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

clockwork green

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 02, 2012, 09:21:09 PM
Quote from: Pundan on June 26, 2012, 04:28:24 PM

where did you find these? brand?
Probably D'Addario's. I've been using them for a dozen or do years. You can find them pretty commonly these days and if not www.juststrings.com
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

Told y'all aboot these last year. I got about 12 sets around here.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

I got Pyramid to put me sets of the same sizes in their pure nickel sets...not insanely different but a bit warmer sounding and a more slinky feel.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: clockwork green on July 02, 2012, 11:19:56 PM
I got Pyramid to put me sets of the same sizes in their pure nickel sets...not insanely different but a bit warmer sounding and a more slinky feel.

and like 30 bucks a pop!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 02, 2012, 11:22:58 PM

and like 30 bucks a pop!
That's why I bought it bulk...it was less than $20.  The D'Addario's are often 10-15 but I don't change strings very often.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: clockwork green on July 03, 2012, 12:22:47 AM
Quote from: SunnO))) on July 02, 2012, 11:22:58 PM

and like 30 bucks a pop!
That's why I bought it bulk...it was less than $20.  The D'Addario's are often 10-15 but I don't change strings very often.

Hook me up, what's the deal with Pyramid? Dean and I assume that 30 dollar guitar strings have to be bathed in virgins blood or something in order for them to be 30 bucks. Anything special?

I've you've been paying 10-15 bucks for those Daddarios...

Price:
$5.80

You've been had.  ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

Yeah I just saw that. I haven't bought from them in awhile since I still have a dozen or so sets around the house but the used to be quite a bit more than that.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

liquidsmoke

Partly custom 14-64 set for B standard. Thickest strings I've ever had on a guitar despite how I'm tuned higher than I have been in years. Was in F sharp for quite awhile with thinner strings.

Set of 8s on my SG for standard E, too thin, will probably go up to 9s.

ryansummit

had $7 left on gift cert. at prymaxe so i got thee EB not even slinky 4pack for $5.99
figured it was gonna go to waste anyway might as well try, and i like em alot
first time using fatter strings

im in D standard ,and drop that to A occasionally(not sure what its called)
A-G-C-F-A-D

that third is a killer,but i do like how it sounds
was using heavy bottom skinny tops

Danny G

I wound up with a few sets of DR Lo Rider 11-50 and I really like them, for standard tuning or D standard.

Big fan of DR bass strings too, I like the steel wound Lo Rider 45-105 in gray box. DRs seem to last a bit longer than the Daddario equivalents, making them worth the few extra bucks

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

I've liked the Dean Markley Blue Steels quite a bit but they seem to break more than the DRs, at least the bass strings do.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

fallen

Long time ago I bought 2 boxes of SIT "stay in tune" strings off of eBay mostly in 11s and those have been going strong for years.

Tried some Ernie Ball strings recently for nostalgia sake and just like back in the day I snapped through the wound strings fairly quickly. Never got along with those strings.

But whatever those strings are with the colour coded ball ends are they seem to last forever. Have a set that came on a guitar with a wrap around tailpiece that I was going to replace but they won't die. I'd run those again for sure.

I,Galactus

Quote from: fallen on September 12, 2012, 02:02:18 PM
But whatever those strings are with the colour coded ball ends are they seem to last forever. Have a set that came on a guitar with a wrap around tailpiece that I was going to replace but they won't die. I'd run those again for sure.

D'addario.  My personal faves as well.

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Jake

Quote from: I,Galactus on September 12, 2012, 02:16:14 PM
Quote from: fallen on September 12, 2012, 02:02:18 PM

D'addario.  My personal faves as well.

Fuck me running. You must have to set aside an afternoon for string changes!
poop.

RacerX

Yeah, restringing that 12-string bass must be a bitch.
Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

Quote from: RacerX on September 12, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
Yeah, restringing that 12-string bass must be a bitch.

but i bet it's a great way to kill a couple hours on a rainy saturday afternoon with a few beers!

RacerX

Quote from: Baltar on July 04, 2012, 05:09:51 PM
C pentatonic.

That's absolutely bizarre—you tune your guitar to C - Eb - F - G - Bb - C?

Livin' The Life.

Instant Dan

Anyone using Dunlop strings? The guitar store near me has them marked lower than usual.