Main Menu

Wino's Model T up for sale

Started by Instant Dan, May 11, 2011, 02:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

The scarey thing is, at it's current bid, it's the cheapest Model T on eBay so far.

EddieMullet

What I want to know is why is he selling it? 

Stonergrunge

Quote from: EddieMullet on May 11, 2011, 09:27:28 PM
What I want to know is why is he selling it? 

Now that's the million dollar question.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

db3jed

"Wino has more Model T heads that aren't for sale..."
Nuff' sed.

Instant Dan

eyeprod

he's probably hoping to get a couple grand for it. Extra money is nice.
CV - Slender Fungus

peyotepeddler

Quote from: eyeprod on May 12, 2011, 08:56:11 PM
he's probably hoping to get a couple grand for it. Extra money is nice.

my thoughts, the man is a legend to "many" within a small niche, a shame i know

so hes not exactly swimming in sweaty $100 bills, people gotta eat and pay bills

Hemisaurus

I hope it's him selling it, and he hasn't been ripped off, be a bit ballsy to rip someone off, and then use their name to sell the hot gear on eBay ::)

Instant Dan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 13, 2011, 08:28:26 AM
I hope it's him selling it, and he hasn't been ripped off, be a bit ballsy to rip someone off, and then use their name to sell the hot gear on eBay ::)

Nah it's his, but someone is probably selling it for him. I know Tim Sult did that with several of his old Orange's and Sunn Model T.

Proof is in the picture that it's his
http://www.lacemusic.com/artists/artists_details.php?userId=2272

VOLVO)))

1525 reserve not met my ASS. Fuck this shit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Dude send me the $1500, I'll build you an amp with doubles. 2 PT's, 2 OT's & 2 x quad of KT-88's ;)

Actually I might be selling myself a bit cheap, let me check Mr. Webers site ;D

VOLVO)))

I'd be more inclined to have you clone me one, than buy one, now. Even then, I can build my own custom head box for it. I know it won't have any bullshit issues because some dickwad has been running it at mismatched impedance with tubes pulled, or something.

I wanted to get one of Ben Verellen's, but the price jumped before I could jump. Eats a diiiiiiccckk.

I thought Weber's site sold sorta shitty parts, or is that just with the kits?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I forgot you were like that.

Main cost of most tube amps is the iron

From Mercury Magnetics

OT $370
PT $295
Ck $45

So you are looking at over $600 for new 'original' iron. Add in a couple of hundred for a chassis, however much you spend on a headshell, you can spend $120 on a quad, but higher end maybe nearer $200 or so, plus say anothet $50-80 on preamp tubes.

It's beginning to look like Wino's giving it away.

VOLVO)))

Who's to say we don't cannibalize an already cooked amp?

I could make the chassis myself, My buddy is a machinist/sheet steel worker and I want to learn. I have good friends. They teach me everything they paid to learn, for free/instrument repairs.

I'm interested to see what the reserve is.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 13, 2011, 01:27:13 PM
I'd be more inclined to have you clone me one, than buy one, now. I know it won't have any bullshit issues because some dickwad has been running it at mismatched impedance with tubes pulled, or something.

If you cannibalize a cooked amp, hows that better than just buying used? If it's cooked you don't know what's going on in there, you can't tell a duff transformer from a good one, just by looking, except in some extreme cases.

You want a brand new, hand-wired, point to point Model T, with premium parts, it's gonna cost a lot.

Maybe I should start a business, you buy all the parts, I'll charge you a $200 flat fee for design / assembly work, I'll throw in the solder for free  ;D

VOLVO)))

I'm talkin' about for chassis, totally gut and rebuild.

NERD.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Total gut, as in throw away the PCB?

Or total refurb, new caps, tubes, transformers, pots, jacks, etc, maybe keep wire and resistors.

Can I keep the old parts ;D

VOLVO)))

Yes. You may keep the old parts. You're a pack rat for parts, like I am... haha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I'm thinking that might be a good way to acquire a selection of trannies and tubes. Offer an upgrade service, you pay for new parts, I keep original parts as payment.

EddieMullet

I was hoping it wasn't due to financial problems, the guy doesn't deserve it. 

Not really related but it also sucks that so much of his work is out of print and sells for ridiculous prices, see what a copy of the 1st Obsessed album or a copy of Jug Fulla Sun goes for nowadays.

Eyehatehippies

I remember when these amps were going for under $400, and I didn't trade a Marshall JCM900 for an old Model T, because the JCM900 was worth so much more...

I was here, but I disappare.

Hemisaurus

Auction closed at $1575, reserve not met, so it's back on again, 1 bid of $999 probably the seller.