Places to Play (w/ Google Map)

Started by Hemisaurus, May 06, 2011, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I'll sticky it when it gets more intensive. METAL DAVE EATS VAGINA. (glad you're back, though.)

hahaha    ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Is Sourmash Propaganda still booking shows in Hickory, NC? That was a good gig.

C'mon we have about 8 states and one Canadian province. I know the scene is bad, but it's surely not that bad, what happened to Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Indiana, Florida and Wisconsin, Bongzilla, Madison, I mean come on ???

gatorsnot

Will's Pub, Orlando FL

Transitions skate gallery, Tampa FL

The Brass Mug, Tampa FL

VOLVO)))

The Farside, Tallahassee, FL - collective space run by a bunch of kids, collectively. Nice PA, nice space, no smoking/drinking/being an asshole. One of my favs.

The Engine Room, Tallahassee, FL - Bar/club, rad sound system, rad people.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

Columbia SC- New Brookland Tavern (don't be too loud)
Spartanburg SC- Ground Zero (open mic Wednesday nights, anyone that puts their name on the list can play.  Go get the best burger in the country at The Beacon)
Raleigh NC- Dive Bar, Vol 11 Tavern
Wilmington NC- Soap Box (never played there)
Charlotte NC - Tremont Music Hall, The Milestone and maybe if you're the right fit Snug Harbor (no metal really unless you're celebratory power metal that makes hipsters happy), new place just opening this weekend called The Chop Shop.
Nashville TN- The Springwater
Frederick MD- Krug's Place (awesome)
Johnson City TN- The Hideaway
Murfreesboro NC- Zakk's Coffee shop, cool owner.

There used to be Iresons pub in Bristol TN, and it was the most amazing place to play, at 1:30 the dance club up the street (across the state line in VA) closed and the hopped up kids came down the block into TN and would continue to party until 3:00.  Still taking money at the door.  Didn't matter who was playing.  I think the owner had a habit.

Now, I'm not going to say these are the best places on earth to play, (well, the Milestone is pretty kick-ass) but they deserve to be on the map.
Vinyls.   deal.

black_out

Would this work better as a list of booking resources? Very rarely do I find myself contacting actual venues. Usually you're either dealing with a band, or a dude you know/know of,  that books shows in that area.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

LogicalFrank

Quote from: black_out on May 15, 2011, 12:30:26 PM
Would this work better as a list of booking resources? Very rarely do I find myself contacting actual venues. Usually you're either dealing with a band, or a dude you know/know of,  that books shows in that area.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same. Some of the places I mentioned, I don't think you'd get very far just calling them up and asking to play. We are lucky enough that we get asked to do as many shows as we can play around town so I don't know anything about booking, really. I've only booked one show myself in my entire life.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

LogicalFrank

Though to throw on a place you might be able to just call up and book a show:

Cal's Liquors in Chicago. It is a bar/liquor store and a real hole in the wall dive but it's cool. There's a bunch of punks and bike messengers and shit who hang out there and it's generally receptive and fun to play. It is kind of hit or miss though, just based on whether or not people decide to hang out.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Hemisaurus

Quote from: black_out on May 15, 2011, 12:30:26 PM
I'd say, booking dude, yes, band, no. Or maybe we should do bands but a different colour.

The idea was for anyone who might want to try and get a show in a particular area, to be able to know who to talk to. It's true bands often help out with booking shows in their area, but are you willing to book shows for anybody and everybody who might want a show in your area?

Hemisaurus

Should have added, this is a definite jumping off point, rather than a comprehensive DIY thing, which could take forever. Hence I don't find contact details, or any of that, you get the name of the place, and the address, and you can google the rest of it for yourself. It can serve two purposes I guess.

One, let people know that there's a place in your area, that's cool to play, you get more bands coming by.
Two, let people who are looking for places to play between Point A and Point B, that there are places to play in all these towns.

Personally, I've enjoyed a lot of smaller town gigs, and without something like this I wouldn't know I could play Kent, or Painsville, rather than Cleveland, that kinda thing.

If you want to book shows in your area, sure give me your details, I'll stick them on the map.

black_out

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 16, 2011, 04:54:01 PM
Should have added, this is a definite jumping off point, rather than a comprehensive DIY thing, which could take forever. Hence I don't find contact details, or any of that, you get the name of the place, and the address, and you can google the rest of it for yourself. It can serve two purposes I guess.

One, let people know that there's a place in your area, that's cool to play, you get more bands coming by.
Two, let people who are looking for places to play between Point A and Point B, that there are places to play in all these towns.

Personally, I've enjoyed a lot of smaller town gigs, and without something like this I wouldn't know I could play Kent, or Painsville, rather than Cleveland, that kinda thing.

If you want to book shows in your area, sure give me your details, I'll stick them on the map.

haha...I'm with you. I guess I was thinking about it a little differently. I was kind of thinking that it's usually a pain in the ass to contact a venue directly for a show, because most of them don't want to/don't have the time to check out every bands shit that is rolling through town, but I can see how it could be a little much to go my route and keep it current.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Hemisaurus

Might be worth a bands in the area type tag? Or maybe that should just be separate? Attaching bands to one venue is OK, in one horse towns, might get a bit tricky in the metropolitan areas.

Someone else want to maintain the active bands map?

Hemisaurus

Added the others, what happened to the list of dudes you know in the area that book shows?

Hemisaurus

Nobody want to fill in the middle :D

LogicalFrank

I can continue listing every place I've played in Chicago if you want but I think I've done enough damage.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: LogicalFrank on May 20, 2011, 10:33:32 AM
I can continue listing every place I've played in Chicago if you want but I think I've done enough damage.
You managed to hit me with one I hadn't heard of, Poncho's!

I'm just surprised that the Wichita and Lawrence contingent haven't chimed in yet. Plus I'm really curious if there's gigs in the Dakota's, and Utah. I've never reaaly seen any genre tour through there.

Also kind of surprised nowhere in Madison, WI has been mentioned. Texas?

black_out

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 17, 2011, 06:31:42 PM
Added the others, what happened to the list of dudes you know in the area that book shows?

We'll keep it to venues. The more I think about it, it's probably not cool to be throwing somebodies info out there for the entire internet to see.

If you're looking for websites, let me know and I can come back and add them.

Mojo Main - Newark,DE

Mojo 13 - Wilmington,DE

The Depot - York,PA

JR's Bar - Philadelphia,PA

Mike_Sims

Eli's Mile High Club - Oakland, CA
Stork Club - Oakland, CA
Vitus - Oakland, CA
The Hemlock Tavern - San Francisco, CA
Bender's Bar & Grill - San Francisco, CA
Thee Parkside - San Franciso, CA
Bottom of the Hill - San Francisco, CA
Elbo Room - San Francisco, CA
Retox Lounge - San Francisco, CA
Slim's - San Francisco, CA

There's so many over here in the Bay Area, I'm missing a bunch but those were the first that popped up in my head.

Pundan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 09, 2011, 01:33:35 PM
Quote from: Metal Dave on May 09, 2011, 11:59:23 AM
Good topic, we can all use help when booking/routing shows, but I don't think it'd be an active enough topic to make a sticky. Keep in mind any time someone posts new info, the thread will bounce back to the top anyway..

Downtown Music, White Water Tavern, Rev Room/Sticky Fingers in Little Rock
Soundstage or Plan B in Conway, AR (30 mins from L.R. on I-40)
My bad, my concept of sticky was for topics that were continually useful (like how does Ohms Law work  :) )
I'd like that topic, please do one.

rayinreverse

Salt Lake has
Burts Tiki Lounge- dive bar, has heavy shows

There are other venues, but Im old, jaded and out of touch. I only play shows when I get called.

gatorsnot

These fellows will help a band out for Orlando and possibly other florida areas.   

http://www.facebook.com/orlandooom

Blueberry Lazer

If you guys ever come to Panama City, FLorida (not likely i know, but we have been getting good shit here lately!! i.e. Obituary tonight ) I know of 2 places that I could definitely get you on and they are both decent drinking establishments.

Zacherys American Bistro- These people are like family to all musicians and the food and drinks are badass

C-level bar and grill -Ive seen yob,dark castle, wormrot, jucifer and countless others here, A dude named Dj books all of the shows there and you can find him on facebook his name is Kulcher Korner and he loves the doom.