Places to Play (w/ Google Map)

Started by Hemisaurus, May 06, 2011, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Also we have Places NOT To Play

justinhedrick

we going to put websites/contact info up to? (i don't remember the old thread on SR.com)

LogicalFrank

Stone Tavern in Kent, Ohio. Some of you may recall I thread where we needed a gig on short notice and they stepped up and gave me one... Awesome place to play. They treated us better than any bar I've ever played at and the audience was quite receptive even though the focus on the place is not necessarily metal.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

my 2 suggestoins:

Cowboy Monkey in champaign il. Good crowds, great sounding room. a lot of indie bands play it though, so it might be an odd fit with a stoner-y band.

Mike and Mollys: great vibe. small room upstairs (about 100 people) but a great beer garden outside that is open from May to Sept for shows (weather permitting).

Hemisaurus

Yeah, we can put up whatever info we like. I think this time I'll extend it beyond the midwest.

I remember that bar Frank, I was very impressed.

Justin, have you played either of those places? I think we should only have confirmed hits, as it were.

Lumpy

In NYC there are loads of places to play, especially if you are already established. But for underground bands, there's a small DIY all ages club called The Acheron in Brooklyn, located in an industrial area (parking right in front, and no stairs.) Stage is small but good sound system. 99% of the shows are metal or punk.

http://theacheronbk.blogspot.com/
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 06, 2011, 03:09:33 PM
Yeah, we can put up whatever info we like. I think this time I'll extend it beyond the midwest.

I remember that bar Frank, I was very impressed.

Justin, have you played either of those places? I think we should only have confirmed hits, as it were.

i play both of them quite regularly. actually, both in the the course of the next month and a half!

LogicalFrank

Empty Bottle in Chicago -- They've always treated us well and the sound and lighting guys know what they are doing and will do what you ask. One of my favorite places to play, esp. as far as sound quality on stage. They do full on real-live rock star sound checking so you have to show up way early though. One thing I really, really like about these guys is they are straight up and professional in paying the bands. They explain how the door is divided between the band and it generally seems like their book keeping is honest and fair. You don't see that much.

Metal Shaker in Chicago -- Not really my favorite place to play but they do cater to metal and there seems to be a fair number of folks in there no matter who is playing. Sound system was much improved from how they originally had it set up 2/3 years ago.

Carabar in Columbus -- This place is cool. They give you free beer after a certain time and the sound system is adequate. We always play this place w/ our friends in Bridesmaid and there is a generally a good crowd. Last time we were there there were a bunch of kids w/ mohawks creating havok which pissed off everyone else but I thought was hilarious. Sound system is adequate. We seem to sell a lot of merch here but that is probably just because we have a lot of friends in Columbus.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

johnny problem

Up here in Kingston Ontario, Canada, we have two places.  One of them is a comedy club called Time to Laugh, many bands play here.  Sound is great, stage is small and crowd is receptive.  The other is The Mansion (Living Room).  The Mansion is more of an indie type bar, but many metal bands play here.  Sound is decent and has a great atmosphere.

Both places have the same sound guy who is really good.  Know's his stuff and not a douchebag. 

Booking shows up here, I would recommend Kingston Punk Productions http://www.kingstonpunk.ca/.

bass sic

The two best I e played in the north east Ohio area are the maple grove tavern in maple hts, not extremely big but a very cool place to play and lots of metal to be had. The other is a tiny place in painsville called Nemeths. Smallest bar I've ever played, but very fun. They get some good bands in there like Karma to burn, Keelhaul I believe played there too.

SpaceTrucker

In baltimore the fuckin' sonar is closed(at least the liquor license is gone). Other than that, there is a place right down the street that has metal shows every week or so. But like 6 bands a night and shit. and I haven't scoped it out yet. Should drag my ass their but I can't drink right now. and I hate going into a bar alone, it makes me ache inside.

Hemisaurus

Keep 'em coming. It's weird that they are all around the lakes and in NY so far. Like a little north central / north eastern tour.

ROWDYBEER

Three Kings Tavern in Denver is always a good joint to play.

eyeprod

Lil red lion in eureka, ca. or the alibi in Arcata. That's far north, almost to oregon. In eugene, there's the oak street speakeasy. In portland there are lots of places. Near Sacramento there's a place called the Stag in a town called Woodland. I like all of those bars, and they are cool with loud music.
CV - Slender Fungus

VOLVO)))

If you clowns want something deleted, just put "DELETE ME" in the text field, and I'll delete it when I see it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Portland, Oregon

The Know
Plan B
Ash St. Saloon
Slabtown
Berbati's
Dantes
Backspace
Tube
Tonic Lounge
Saratoga
No Focus Pocus

LogicalFrank

Poncho's Bar in Chicago - I thought this place was gonna be bunk since it's a Cuban restaurant by day and a sometimes Karaoke bar by night but it was cool. No real backstage but the woman who ran sound knew what she was doing and I was very surprised by how good it sounded. The guy who runs the place is cool too.

The Mutiny in Chicago - This place is a total dive but it serves the purpose of being one of those bars where they will basically let anyone play there so if you're hard up for a gig in Chicago, give 'em a call. It gets decent street traffic because there is no door charge and does have good shows from time to time. Cheap beer and you get to play shows w/ bands you normally wouldn't because it's kind of a free for all. I forget specifically why but I remember load in being a special pain in the ass here. Also, I would be remiss if I failed to mention that there is a toilet there which is a thing of extraordinary beauty.

Should I mention places not to play or is that a different thread?

Metal and Beer

Good topic, we can all use help when booking/routing shows, but I don't think it'd be an active enough topic to make a sticky. Keep in mind any time someone posts new info, the thread will bounce back to the top anyway..

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RacerX

Albuquerque, NM:

The Launchpad (618 Central Ave. SW)

Burt's Tiki Lounge (313 Gold St. SW)
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Metal Dave on May 09, 2011, 11:59:23 AM
Good topic, we can all use help when booking/routing shows, but I don't think it'd be an active enough topic to make a sticky. Keep in mind any time someone posts new info, the thread will bounce back to the top anyway..

Downtown Music, White Water Tavern, Rev Room/Sticky Fingers in Little Rock
Soundstage or Plan B in Conway, AR (30 mins from L.R. on I-40)
My bad, my concept of sticky was for topics that were continually useful (like how does Ohms Law work  :) )

Hemisaurus

Quote from: LogicalFrank on May 09, 2011, 10:41:59 AM
Poncho's Bar in Chicago - I thought this place was gonna be bunk since it's a Cuban restaurant by day and a sometimes Karaoke bar by night but it was cool. No real backstage but the woman who ran sound knew what she was doing and I was very surprised by how good it sounded. The guy who runs the place is cool too.
I found Cafiteria de Pancho in Logan Square area, is that the place, I added that to the map ???

LogicalFrank

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 09, 2011, 02:26:05 PM
Quote from: LogicalFrank on May 09, 2011, 10:41:59 AM
I found Cafiteria de Pancho in Logan Square area, is that the place, I added that to the map ???

Basically... There is the restaurant and the bar right next to each other. They are connected inside but operate separately. Bans play in the bar part of it, obviously.

This place is known informally around town as "the New Ronnie's," Ronnie's being a shit show of a venue that you really only played if you had not other option. I think MP Shows or someone who booked at Ronnie's moved to Poncho's and that is how it got the name. But Ponchos is good to play at so win for everyone but Ronnie. Ronnie's is shut down for shows or I would throw it in the places not to play thread.