Main Menu

Dunkirk

Started by jmucke, July 19, 2017, 11:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmucke

IMO Nolan is the best director doing big budget-movies right now and this is impeccable filmmaking. Tightly told (106 minutes) and not trying to be an epic which I think is smart since TV is the medium for a long narrative these days. Joe Wrights longshot in "Atonement" was an obvious inspiration and Nolans interweaving of different timelines (yes, he manages to do that in a WWII-movie) borders on showing off but eventually its a great movie. Will see it again in 70mm just to see if I spot a difference.

EaterofBirds

I agree, this was tight and well done. Just saw the matinee earlier...Begs for the big screen, so would highly recommend seeing it before it leaves. if there is any CG, it's so subtle, if at all. Very reminiscent of Kubrick.

juan11

It was ok. There was about a dozen civilian boats shown, even in the widest shots, and suddenly, 350,000 people were off the beach.

Why did the pilot put down in the most retarded spot ever?  Fucking Hollywood.

The awesome parts were awesome. Total action flick.
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

juan11

(Saw in IMAX. Sound was unreal.)
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

bbottom

I found it to be just ok. I felt as if the movie could've been much much better if Nolan didn't try edit it in his typical "Nolan" way. I didn't get the sense of total desperation that I believe that he was trying to convey.

I think that it also should've been much more violent and the stories with the soldiers on the boat and the old mans boat felt really forced.

Nolan made a good looking movie that, in my opinion, wasn't very good