Main Menu

Peavey Fest!

Started by hayseed, March 26, 2011, 12:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

I've got the Mark III and a 15" black widow cab.  They are pretty loud but are very hard to dial in.  The graphic eq can really fuck you up.  It's best to run it pretty flat then use the Shelving to roll off some treble or bass.  Also they seem to sound much better when you use the low gain input.  They sound like a fucking monster with a Big Muff and a Bflat tuned guitar!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

yesca

yeah that's the one. that's funny cause my bassist bought a sansamp pedal as well and dicked around with it for about a week and decided it wasn't worth the 200 bucks he paid at GC. it seems like its always got some trebly sound to it even with the treble knob rolled down all the way and a natural overdrive.

neighbor664

Replaced the logo with the badge from my 73 Valiant after I rolled it.

hayseed

I got my T-40 yesterday and i must say it is awesome!!! Sounds killer and so much more ballsy than my P bass. Not as heavy as i imagined but having a non-filed edge makes my picking hand placement a bit odd. Just have to readjust to it. My only grip is that the action is a little high for my liking and i think it may be wound the whole way down. A more detailed inspection of that will happen when i change the strings. The case is the original Peavey case made for it and it is in great shape as well

Does anybody know how to date these/ My serials are 00363836 if you need it. 
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

If the action on the bridge is all the way down, and the truss is right, you may just have to shim the neck, it's pretty common. Some people use business cards, I was taught to use bits of beer mat. You take off the strings, then the neck, and put a 1/4" strip of beer mat in the bottom of the neck pocket, and put the neck back on. You should now have plenty action to play with.

hayseed

Interesting. I have never heard of such a thing!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

spookstrickland

Quote from: neighbor664 on March 29, 2011, 10:44:42 PM

I like that.  I got a "Swinger" log from a dodge dart that my buddy gave me I but that would look cool given the same treatment.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

neighbor664

Quote from: spookstrickland on March 31, 2011, 10:18:54 PM
Quote from: neighbor664 on March 29, 2011, 10:44:42 PM

I like that.  I got a "Swinger" log from a dodge dart that my buddy gave me I but that would look cool given the same treatment.

It may have been serendipitous that the logo just so happened to have spaces that lined up well with the original screw holes. I still have the Peavey logo and could swap it out if I was to part with it.
You may conceivably have to fuss with it a little more.

Lumpy

Plus, you might get some action after the show.  ;)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mawso

Quote from: Lumpy on March 26, 2011, 11:35:23 PM
Peavey has probably manufactured more stuff than Sunn did (just a guess though). Peavey prices are not going up, as far as I can tell (there may be some rare exceptions, but generally not).

yeah there's just way too much of it out there

spookstrickland

Quote from: Lumpy on March 31, 2011, 11:14:33 PM

Plus, you might get some action after the show.  ;)

I like the way you think.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

LogicalFrank

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 31, 2011, 10:41:16 AM
If the action on the bridge is all the way down, and the truss is right, you may just have to shim the neck, it's pretty common. Some people use business cards, I was taught to use bits of beer mat. You take off the strings, then the neck, and put a 1/4" strip of beer mat in the bottom of the neck pocket, and put the neck back on. You should now have plenty action to play with.

Never done it myself but what seemed like a good suggestion to me was to cut out a piece of a beer can and use that as a shim. It's thin so you can fine tune it and won't compress like a coaster or card might. 
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 31, 2011, 10:41:16 AM

what is beer mat?

LogicalFrank

I assumed he meant a coaster...
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

hayseed

Here is 2 pics of my !510 T cab. 2x15, 2x10, 3 tweeters. sounds great. needs new grill cloth  and has a few cosmetic issues. I plan to re load it when i go back to work.

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2lsv39g.jpg
http://oi52.tinypic.com/14alahi.jpg

SpaceTrucker

Right now I'm running a Vtm120 a Peavey 1820 and a Peavey T-40. And it sound awesome, and surprisingly versatile.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on April 11, 2011, 03:03:45 PM
Right now I'm running a Vtm120 a Peavey 1820 and a Peavey T-40. And it sound awesome, and surprisingly versatile.

that's awesome. i'd love to have a mix of 10s and a 15 . . .

Hemisaurus

1820 is a 18 and 2 10's.

Be very careful with the 10's my 1820 ate two sets of Scorpions (10"), before I gave them up as a bad job. Not sure why, the Scorpion 15's seen to hold up fairly well, never really dealt with the 12's.

The 18" BW on the other hand is rock fucking solid ;D

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 11, 2011, 04:12:34 PM
1820 is a 18 and 2 10's.

Be very careful with the 10's my 1820 ate two sets of Scorpions (10"), before I gave them up as a bad job. Not sure why, the Scorpion 15's seen to hold up fairly well, never really dealt with the 12's.

The 18" BW on the other hand is rock fucking solid ;D

i have an 18" BW cab that has the foamy crap off the back of the magnet fall into the speaker. now i have to scrape it off the piston very carefully or the speaker literally gets stuck on it . . . any advice?

hayseed

I have yet to pull the speakers on  my 1510 T. It sounds great with my Sunn Coli 300 and my T-40 though. I called Peavey and they had told me this cab is one of the first Peavey cabs made and to NOT run more than 100 watts through it, which of course i did! I can tell that one of the 10's has been replaced because it is a lighter color. Not too sure about the rest.

There is 3620 on Ebay in San Diego i think. It has 2 18"s and 2 10"s. It has to be at least 6 feet high! I am 6'5" and my 1510T comes up to just above my teets. Transportation would be a serious factor with that bad boy.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on April 11, 2011, 04:53:51 PM
i have an 18" BW cab that has the foamy crap off the back of the magnet fall into the speaker. now i have to scrape it off the piston very carefully or the speaker literally gets stuck on it . . . any advice?
Foamy crap on the back of the magnet? Do you mean something over the vent cover?

I'd remove the basket from the magnet, clean of all the foamy gunk (like a half teaspoons worth?) and re-assemble, if you want to keep particulates out the magnet, put some mesh over the hole.

I'm guessing here though, I have no idea what the foamy crap you are talking about is.

SpaceTrucker

I want the Peavey tvx? 4 12 bass cabinet. Just to load with some weber Cali's and kill My neighbors dog with.

Hemisaurus

Easier to do with a box of 99c piezo bullet tweeters and a laptop :)

Ignoramus

neighbor664's classic is pretty rad. i have a valveking 100 that i f'n love. i'd post a picture but i'm too lazy to figure it out. stone on, bros.

SpaceTrucker

If the Neck of your T-40 says "Patents applied for"(like Mine :D) It is first production run years 78 or 79. After that, Idk. Also, mine Might not have the original neck(All the parts of all of them are interchangeable) But that's doubtful it came with the original case.