Main Menu

Cheap Recording is possible.

Started by Submarine, September 15, 2015, 06:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Submarine

Here is a project i've been working on.  Both as an engineer and a player.
In light of the many discussions around these parts about buying recording gear and especially how much to spend, I thought I'd share this as I'm am very pleased with the results.
14 mics were used of which 10 of them were under $150.  This was recorded with a Digi002, some Behringer, Aphex and ART preamps.   No Neves, SSLs, etc were used in this recording.  Tracked on Pro Tools LE 7.3 and mixed on Pro Tools 9 in the box.

https://soundcloud.com/dark-heart-speedway/01-pedros-dirge-150107-f

Thanks for listening.

everdrone

wow, sounds great!  You are really talented for sure, nice mixing and mic placement etc.

dogfood

You've done this before  8)

I wondered when you'd share some of your "stuff" with us.
Problem solving whiskey!

Submarine

Thanks to both of you.   ;D
I was thinking about putting together something with some pictures, soundbites and explanations.  A little bit of researching, experimenting and trial & error can go a long way.  There was no click track or drum sample replacement and the rhythm guitar was tracked with the drums live.

jibberish

Quote from: Submarine on September 15, 2015, 09:51:30 PM
Thanks to both of you.   ;D
I was thinking about putting together something with some pictures, soundbites and explanations.  A little bit of researching, experimenting and trial & error can go a long way.  There was no click track or drum sample replacement and the rhythm guitar was tracked with the drums live.

yeah, that was real nice. I know I always dig getting a peek under the hood when something cool happens. this would be one of those times.
so just saying, if you did something like this idea of yours, I know I would study it.

TannisRoot

Sounds great! 14 mics? That's still a lot of coin!  :P

liquidsmoke

Sounds 100% pro to me, great job!

This is what I call cheap recording-

;D

jibberish

that's cool to see that you have an LDC too. the other one I could recognize a mile away haha

so I have to look at MXL, MCA, M&M's..no wait, that's the weed talking...  hope my mind doesn't go MIA

Submarine

I've got this one, did I recommend it?  It's worth way more than $60 it sells for.

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 17, 2015, 03:17:14 AM
Sounds 100% pro to me, great job!

This is what I call cheap recording-

liquidsmoke

Fantastic mic as far as I can tell.