Laney AOR100 = Search Over.

Started by CID Vicious, May 24, 2015, 03:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CID Vicious

So after nearly a year of owning my early metal corner AOR100, the stars aligned, & SG, Laney, cab, & jam space finally came together.

For my target tonality, this is even more of a dream amp than my EL34 JCM900 2500 head was. And...not really a "clone tone", AKAIK unlike the 900 you can't just buy a Tri AC or Character pedal and cop the Laney, but the Laney definitely does Marshall tones.

And....CLEANS!!! As one might expect a bit woolier than a twin, but a great warm clean in it's own right.

Low Input = Plexi. This input ate up my Eno Myomorpha (LM308 Rat/Turbo Rat clone) & Modtone Fuzzer with aplomb. Jams, live, this plus my board and it's sounding great and is every bit as flexible as my board is, just with the best "power stage" one could want.

High Input, no AOR boost = JCM800 with more flexible eq. I have a feeling that this channe will do a great 900 impression with a compressor. Tight cutting jackhammer.

High WITH AOR = HS. HS? "His Sound" or "HOLY SHIT!!!"

Fizzy if you dial the preamp gain to 10, but back it off to tas te and go yeah, this is the first Laney Tony didn't need a pedal for.

The EQ boosts volumes I & II & the AOR bo
ost interact with the EQ controls and preamp gain. MASSIVE all tube sludge available, but get the eq right and you'll be hammering out Sabbath riffs until the cops show up...and let you go on for another few minutes.

I personally don't care much for Mesa, 5150, & a lot of other "go to" modern metal amps. So being a "British Only" sorta guy (weird boat for an Irishman to be in!) this thing is just. Boss. Tits.

Mine has some pro mods but as far as I can tell, it's a hot bias and that's it, but I haven't nerded out and traced the circuit to uncover potential Secret Sauce. Also running half power with just a duet.

Anyway, if you're on the fence, get one. For the money having the first two options is good enough, wouldn't shy away from a non AOR myself. Frankly the AOR is a footswitchable tube boost pedal - I'm assuming the same tones could be coaxed out with the proper boist pedal. I know Tony uses a Beano by Analogman by now, but wouldn't be surprised if Donner, Behringer, Joyo or Biyang made one that would get it done.

Three amps in one, ALL rockin and useful...and of course nothing is cooler to lean your SG against ;-)
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

everdrone

that looks really cool! I have wanted one as a backup to my orange thunderverb 50.

Mr. Foxen

Should have a 100 and a 50 heads going next week. Also got a 30w combo to go.

Dylan Thomas

A friend of mine had one of these, they sound great.  I used one on some of the Black Pyramid guitar parts, it did the job very nicely....
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.