Main Menu

Lovekraft Chupacabra

Started by Blueberry Lazer, March 13, 2011, 12:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry Lazer

Has anyone ever played one of these? Its supposed to be a rat clone with more low end. I've never played a rat that I like (no low end) but they are used on so many great recordings that I have always wanted one. I have only played the newer shitty rats (without the chip) I know the 80's rats are highly praised. I'm hoping this pedal would be a more reliable alternative to the original. Any thoughts?

VOLVO)))

Hey, dickhead, ill be in your neck of the woods for Weedeater on the 21st. Lets find something interesting to do!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Blueberry Lazer

sup bra! Hit me up. I think i might be jamming with one of the opening bands for that show. So you can check out the one Sunn beta lead in north florida that you don't own!

Volume

I have a Keeley moddel RAT which has a fat-RAT mode. It's my favorite distortion, a lot more low end compared to to the classic RAT.

Instant Dan

I am sure I will catch much flack for this but besides Sunn and Buzz, why is the pro co rat so lusted after?

LogicalFrank

I need to check these out. I am a long-time Keely Rat user and it's a good pedal but, despite the mods, it is still a cheap pedal and I worry about it crapping out.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

grimniggzy

I got lucky & got a RAT II from the 90's for $50, it's beat to hell cosmetically, but great for bass. 
You can usually scoop them on buy/sell/trade forums, got mine on talkbass.
I'd bet there is probably no need to spend the $$$ on an upgraded one.

Blueberry Lazer

Quote from: Instant Dan on March 14, 2011, 10:48:33 AM
I am sure I will catch much flack for this but besides Sunn and Buzz, why is the pro co rat so lusted after?

No i'm actually in the same boat as you. I have just had people recommend that I use a rat with my single channel amp but I have never been impressed with the results. However I love the guitar tone on Gluey Porch Treatments. I actually feel the same way about big muffs. I have never been able to get a great tone with them but I have certainly heard others do so (and I am just as curious about the Chupacabra as I am the Bluebeard). I keep hoping that these clones will be updated  and modified to have better low end. Maybe I should have been a bassist.

Instant Dan

The problem with clone pedals is if you eventually sell them , I usually do for others, you never recoup the full money put in it. You could probably get your money's worth on a real RAT with Keeley mods but not that one made with quality and reliable components.