Main Menu

miles davis?

Started by peyotepeddler, March 12, 2011, 02:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peyotepeddler

so i'm "elevated" and inebriated

live-evil is blowing my mind, not that its technically above skill level, its just to badass to ignore, grand times for me and the ol' ears

my music snobness is apparent when i get others to sample this treat, i cannot say enough about it, classic vibes for sure!

Jake

I'll tell ya what. On that Bitches Brew 4-disc box set, there's some pretty fantastic and unexpected stuff happening.
poop.

peyotepeddler

Quote from: Jake on March 12, 2011, 02:45:50 AM
I'll tell ya what. On that Bitches Brew 4-disc box set, there's some pretty fantastic and unexpected stuff happening.

i'm well versed with the original release, but haven't checked out the 40th anniversary stuff with all the unreleased tracks, need to grab a copy

peyotepeddler

check this out, found this the other day at half price books, killer stuff

eyeprod

I love me some alice coltrane
CV - Slender Fungus

bloodofkings

I can't seem to get enough of "Get Up With It" lately.
I can't crap for shit.

mortlock

miles is in my personal top 3 favs..hes probably no. 1.

his entire electric period is beyond fantastic.

agharta and dark magus are insane. heavy duty. bitches brew is easily a top ten album ever..

if you havent already seen it, you must see 'miles electric:a different kind of blue'.  killer doc with the entire isle of wight set from 1970 with stunning footage..awesome.     

peyotepeddler

Quote from: mortlock on March 12, 2011, 08:06:20 PM
miles is in my personal top 3 favs..hes probably no. 1.

his entire electric period is beyond fantastic.

agharta and dark magus are insane. heavy duty. bitches brew is easily a top ten album ever..

if you havent already seen it, you must see 'miles electric:a different kind of blue'.  killer doc with the entire isle of wight set from 1970 with stunning footage..awesome.    

as i type this agharta is wrapping up, pangaea is up next, from what i have read agharta was recorded in the afternoon, followed by pangaea in the evening

i'll have to check out the documentary, thanks for that

awesome!!!!!!!

The Riffer

IMO, some of the best music ever created. Along with the previous mentions, Black Beauty, Jack Johnson and In a Silent Way comprise one of the richest periods of music by ANY artist.

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

mortlock

"as i type this agharta is wrapping up, pangaea is up next, from what i have read agharta was recorded in the afternoon, followed by pangaea in the evening"

yeah..it blows my mind how these guys had the energy to do it twice in one day..especially considering how heavy agharta is..i believe they were both recorded in japan..

a few years back i went on a serious miles binge and scooped up nearly every album from his elecrtic period..on vinyl and cd..some on both. i cant get enough. theres so much going on in the music it seems like theres something new everytime i listen, no matter how many times ive heard it.
ive always said, my dream band would be miles from 70 - 73 with me on bass..although i guess holland and henderson were ok..haha.

peyotepeddler

agreed, some of the best music ever

his electric period is by far my favorite, i love the medley of styles and instruments, and the production values have a sweet spot with me

this music makes you hungry for more music and to broaden your own little box

thats something i never understood about "the rock", if you step out and try something different you get slammed and labeled a sellout

found this on the tube

Woody

One of my favorite live Miles tapes is the double one from the Fillmore East March 1970 called It's About That Time. Bitches Brew was recorded but not yet released. Excellent band including Wayne Shorter, who quit Miles not long after this, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnnette. They were opening for Neil Young and Steve Miller.

Track this muther down before it's out of print.

peyotepeddler

thank you good sir, another to add to the list!

mortlock

along with all the other things that blow my mind about miles..is the fact that bitches brew was cut and pasted together from bits and pieces of jams..totally amazing especially considering there was no computer tech to help..all done old school..

....and ill say it again, bitches brew is the single greatest album to fuck to..EVER..

L. Ron

That 1970 Ilse Of Wight footage is the shit.  If you haven't checked them out before, I highly recommend the albums Mwandishi, Sextant and Crossings by Herbie Hancock.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.