Main Menu

Active Monitors (Vox)

Started by TannisRoot, March 31, 2015, 10:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TannisRoot

Any recommendations for active monitors for vox? For practice and gigs. Considering a JBL PRX712.

Really sick of blowing my voice out. My budget setup has incurable feedback no matter the positioning in the room. Was considering getting a 31 band EQ as a last ditch effort, but I really just want it solved so we can focus on making music.

Submarine

Go with a 15".  You are still going to need a 31 band graphic EQ to get where you need to be.  PM me if you want an in depth discussion.  I mix some of the loudest bands in the world and spent years in club land on crappy gear.

Lumpy

Why 15" speaker and not 12"? (if vocals are mostly upper mids.)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Submarine

Quote from: Lumpy on April 01, 2015, 05:42:02 PM

Voices can get down pretty low but the reason I suggested 15" is that you get better results when your budget is lower.  High end systems with 12" are amazing but you can't expect that performance under $1000+

Lumpy

Quote from: Submarine on April 01, 2015, 10:46:40 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on April 01, 2015, 05:42:02 PM

Voices can get down pretty low but the reason I suggested 15" is that you get better results when your budget is lower.  High end systems with 12" are amazing but you can't expect that performance under $1000+

Okay, thanks for the info.

Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day is JBL Eon 1x15 powered speakers for $199

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

You can find used gear for this on Craigs List or Ebay though
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Submarine

The old model powered Eons were shockingly good.

neighbor664

Quote from: Submarine on April 02, 2015, 09:23:18 AM

Those Eons are shit! JBL stands for Junk But Loud. Invest in a better system, don't use shitty mics and set your gain structure right and you won't need much of any EQ.

The OP's feed back issues are likely from trying to be too loud in a too small practice space. I imagine this plagues many heavy bands. Just because you have big amps doesn't mean you need to practice at stage volume.

TannisRoot

Submarine

Quote from: neighbor664 on April 02, 2015, 10:02:16 AM
Quote from: Submarine on April 02, 2015, 09:23:18 AM

Those Eons are shit! JBL stands for Junk But Loud. Invest in a better system, don't use shitty mics and set your gain structure right and you won't need much of any EQ.

This kind of posting is why I lost interest in the old sr.com board. 
I've been a live sound engineer for 20+years.  I have mixed everything from the tiniest clubs to stadiums around the world. I even worked for one of the most respected bands discussed and reviewed on this site. I have used the shittiest gear and I've used the most cutting edge technology and most everything in between. 

I feel that I am fairly qualified to comment on whether or not a JBL Eon is good rather than just spew some random "Eons are shit" without any real supporting evidence. 
JBL is often referred to as "junky but loud", but at the same time their pro-line of vertec, vtx and vrx systems are requested on riders by real touring acts. 

Considering Tannis's original post: Tannis is frustrated by not be able hear him/herself (sorry don't know your gender).  Tannis needs a solution that doesn't not involve spending multiple thousands of dollars.  The Eon is not going to get you the results of a touring class system but with a little skill, patience and experimentation, Tannis can get adequate results and not blow his/her voice out.

A decent microphone, into a budget mixer with a 31band graphic EQ into an Eon should get you very good results.  The reason for the graphic EQ is that at 31 bands you are cutting only 1/3 of an octave with each fader.  Feedback is not generated equally across the audio spectrum due to mic type, mic position relative to speaker, room acoustics and speaker/amp performance.  By cutting several of the most feedback prone frequencies you can still retain a healthy overall gain level. 

I specifically mention the Eon because I spent 4 years in a club that had them.  I rarely had trouble getting the vocals over a loud rock act.  Even Joe Perry of Aerosmith was quite happy with his monitor mix when he performed there and this is a guy who can have anything he wants.

Would I want an Eon while on tour, no.  But would I be happy in a rehearsal studio or club, absolutely yes.

Mackie 450 (12") or 650 (15")are also pretty good if the Eon scared you off.  Moving up the line the Qsc K12 is excellent.  An Sm58 or 57', sennheiser 900 series or Audix vocal mic are all good choices.  Any budget mixer mackie or behringer is fine for your needs at this time.  Any 31band graphic EQ that has 15db of cut will work. 

Mixers:  mackie profx 12 because it will have reverb built in or mackie 402 (bare bones) or Yamaha MG06 ( has reverb too)

Graphic eq
Dbx131. (Only 12db of boost and cut),
Peavey qf131 (18db of cut)

Hope this helps.

neighbor664

I've had more broken EON on my bench or crap out on site than any other powered speaker. They make them semi-disposable. Sure the high end JBL stuff is fine (just parrotting the acronym) but those EONS have a ton of self noise and the drivers and crossover are constantly vibrating loose. These are barely passable for corporate A/V let alone live sound, but since they are cheap they are everywhere. Meyers, QSC, Mackie all make better powered speakers.

Submarine

In all fairness Neighbor is right about self noise and bench time.
But considering Tannis probably plays in stoner rock band and not Steely Dan the self noise is not a major issue.
Secondly the system is being used in a rehearsal space not in a club or corporate A/V type situation where the demands/expectations and wear & tear factors are different so I'm not sure that would a major issue either.  Yes, QSC is better and I did recommend that.  As usual you get what you pay for but a little knowledge can save you $$ and headaches.

RacerX

I'm not a sound guy, but wouldn't those new in-ear monitors kinda rule for high sound pressure level situations?
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

fyi old thread but I want to say I got 3 Alto 800 watt powered professional 15" monitors and stands

the key is the mixer as I was using them in a small room which easily feeds back, you need an equalizer with faders on the mixer to get rid of frequencies that easily feed back