Main Menu

Kick drum pedals

Started by agent of change, March 15, 2015, 11:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent of change

So I'm increasingly dissatisfied with the action I'm getting with my double bass work, as I build my chops back up. I've been using Pearl Eliminators (two bass drums) because they originally came with my set, and they're adjustable with different little plastic inserts. I'm beginning to think that's kind of a gimmick, and wondering what y'all like for speed and impact. I recall really liking my DW5000 double bass pedal back in the day. I've played a bit with drum head tension, but dialing them in any tighter I don't get the THUD I really like.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

nyarlathotep

I use Demon Drive Eliminators - they're powerful and the action is good, but I'm also working on my chops so I can't really say much about their speed. DW5000s are still a good option, they're pretty much the same as they always have been.

If you're looking for thud, you could try wooden beaters - Danmar makes some good ones. They make a pretty serious thud but may also burn a hole through your bass drum if there's any friction. I just switched to woodens and I'm a little worried they're going to bore through the Falam Slam I put on there. Guess I can add another...

Also, try tuning down your reso head to make it looser - that always adds more thud but at the expense of volume.

VOLVO)))

Using Iron Cobras, still.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: nyarlathotep on March 16, 2015, 12:42:37 AM
If you're looking for thud, you could try wooden beaters - Danmar makes some good ones. They make a pretty serious thud but may also burn a hole through your bass drum if there's any friction. I just switched to woodens and I'm a little worried they're going to bore through the Falam Slam I put on there. Guess I can add another...

Stick one of those patches on there? I got one when I bought a new skin for my drummer, because don't want to have to buy him new skins often.

justJon

I never liked the feel of any of the DW pedals. They're well made, and all, but IMO overpriced/overhyped. Ditto the "Demon Drive" by Pearl. I used the Axis for awhile, but they just felt too fiddly for me. Never broke 'em, but always was afraid I would. I keep coming back to the Iron Cobras, and probably won't look for anything else for a loooong time. They're solid, fast, and hit as hard as I do.

I also use the felt faced beater. Wood always gave me a "clicky" sound to my ear. Felt beater hitting a Falam pad at full power gives me attack, the "thump," but also gives me a little of the "boom" that I like.

I also use big drums, 24" and up, 2-ply batter heads, and everything tuned nearly tabletop tight.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Bro. Righteous

Ditto on the Cobra, takes a fuckshit of beating, ha...beating - SOLID.

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

deleted account

I like Yamahas.  mostly cuz I break 'em less frequently than the other kinds