Main Menu

Park amps???

Started by Ranbat, March 10, 2011, 10:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I remember these being Marshall's previous line of SS amps in the 80s. I picked one up for $20 tonight. It's has two channels (clean and overdrive), 25 watt, 1-12" speaker and reverb.Everything seems to work okay.  I was just wondering if anybody here has had any experience with them. Thanks.
Meh :/

VOLVO)))

They made a shitload of tube amps, too. I've played one. Most of those designs ended up getting carried to Marshall.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

If memory serves originally Park was a brand Jim Marshall created so he could sell some amps outside a bad contract he lumbered himself with (Royce Music maybe). They are Marshalls, made by Marshall, for Marshall. The later ones were more of a marketing gimmick.

Mike_Sims

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 11, 2011, 12:10:19 AM
If memory serves originally Park was a brand Jim Marshall created so he could sell some amps outside a bad contract he lumbered himself with (Royce Music maybe). They are Marshalls, made by Marshall, for Marshall. The later ones were more of a marketing gimmick.
This is correct. Weren't the first Marshall's basically modded Fenders or something?

Hemisaurus

Based on the Bassman, but not Fenders ;D

Which was based on a design in the RCA tube manual.

The first Mesa Boogies were mod'd Fenders.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 11, 2011, 12:33:25 AM
Based on the Bassman, but not Fenders ;D

Which was based on a design in the RCA tube manual.

The first Mesa Boogies were mod'd Fenders.

Those Bassman's have real simple circuits. I remember looking at a schematic way back when and thought really that's it?

Hemisaurus

You can follow the link in my signature, the RCA manuals are available in the library.

Ranbat

The one I picked up is basically the same as the MG line. I think they were probably trying to keep the solid state stuff separate from the tube stuff at the time. It sounds okay, good for a kick around amp. I did find out that it was originally a way for Marshall to get around a bad contract deal. I'd really like to stumble across one of the old tube models. 
Meh :/

mawso

Quote from: Mike_Sims on March 11, 2011, 12:18:08 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 11, 2011, 12:10:19 AM
This is correct. Weren't the first Marshall's basically modded Fenders or something?

The first Marshalls were based on a Fender Bassman, built with the locally available components.  The JTM45 was tweaked from that slightly.  Park amplifiers were a few years later in the piece though, they were built to get around the Rose Morris distribution contract - Jim Marshall found that he suddenly couldn't supply a lot of the music stores he had previously, some of which were owned by his friends.  I've played one of the older Park valve amps and it was an amazing beast.  Cost a bit more than twenty bucks.  Don't know anything about OP's amp tho.