jesus fuckin' christ, its a power chord!!!!!

Started by peyotepeddler, March 09, 2011, 12:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peyotepeddler

this video made me crack up in a fluid out the nose kinda way

chille01

Not that I'm much of a fan of either of those guys, it is kinda an interesting technique.  It's actually two power cords, played from the same position (it looks like anyway - haven't actually grabbed a guitar and tried it).  I don't know that Mustaine can claim to have "invented it".  I'm sure there's been at least one other nerdy, pasty, basement dwelling dude in a Testament t-shirt that has stumbled on to it of his own imagination.

Jake

Those are some pretty amazing spider tones their amps are belching out, too.
poop.

Mike_Sims

LOL, why is Navarro so blown away by this? I do this shit all the time- not to look cool, but just for convenience of not having to jump my hands around.

Baltar

Navarro's tone sounded like wet cardboard in that video.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

LogicalFrank

I read an article in some guitar magazine by Marty Friedman like fifteen years ago and have been using the technique ever since. Granted, I use it in a more lazy way since I don't find myself doing fast power chord runs up and down the neck like that.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

clockwork green

Quote from: Baltar on March 09, 2011, 08:09:50 AM
Navarro's tone sounded like wet cardboard in that video.
Wet cardboard has more midrange and deeper lows.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

LogicalFrank

Navarro has never had good tone. Too nineties if you know what I mean. He also plays the most noodly and pointless leads but that is another subject entirely. Mustaine sounds OK. It sounds like they are just recording the ambient sound of the amps so you have to take that into account.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Ranbat

Quote from: chille01 on March 09, 2011, 01:06:47 AM
Not that I'm much of a fan of either of those guys, it is kinda an interesting technique.  It's actually two power cords, played from the same position (it looks like anyway - haven't actually grabbed a guitar and tried it).  I don't know that Mustaine can claim to have "invented it".  I'm sure there's been at least one other nerdy, pasty, basement dwelling dude in a Testament t-shirt that has stumbled on to it of his own imagination.

I'd say he made it known. He may have even stumbled upon it himself. Like Eddie and 2 handed tapping, and Zakk and his fucking pinch harmonics, it became part of his style and he's known for it.
Meh :/

xander face

eyeprod

every riff he plays in that video sounds nearly identical. dave navarro is a dork
CV - Slender Fungus

mortlock

Quote from: LogicalFrank on March 09, 2011, 11:36:44 AM
Navarro has never had good tone. Too nineties if you know what I mean. He also plays the most noodly and pointless leads but that is another subject entirely. Mustaine sounds OK. It sounds like they are just recording the ambient sound of the amps so you have to take that into account.
unsane was the only band who had good tone in the 90s.

Baltar

and the Screaming Trees, Kyuss, Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr., etc.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Quote from: mortlock on March 10, 2011, 12:30:26 AM
unsane was the only band who had good tone in the 90s.

+
Failure
Barkmarket
Melvins
Clutch
Godflesh
Big Sugar
Kyuss
Entombed
Fudge Tunnel
Hum
Mule
Quicksand
Sleep
Truly
Bardo Pond
Neurosis
The Jesus Lizard
Fu Manchu
Electric Wizard
Floor
Jawbox
Karma To Burn
Monster Magnet
poop.

justinhedrick

jake, you know what makes me happy about your list?

all of those bands used standard, off the shelf gear (albiet in some cases, it is VERY EXPENSIVE gear alongside super cheap stuff ie Hum's orange/hiwatt amps boosted by $30 boss/ibanez pedals).

makes me happy that they didn't use any boutique stuff . . .

dogfood

+1 Fudge Tunnel, before the Fudge I had an idea of a modern heavy but not hevy metal sound then they nailed it and I was all sad pants and teary.  To this day I need a tissue.
Problem solving whiskey!

zachoff

Quote from: justinhedrick on March 11, 2011, 12:21:42 PM
jake, you know what makes me happy about your list?

all of those bands used standard, off the shelf gear (albiet in some cases, it is VERY EXPENSIVE gear alongside super cheap stuff ie Hum's orange/hiwatt amps boosted by $30 boss/ibanez pedals).

makes me happy that they didn't use any boutique stuff . . .

Except dumb J Mascis (who's not on that list but should be... he rules).  Dude uses the weirdest shit ever.