Main Menu

Down sizing!!!

Started by eddiefive10, March 07, 2011, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiefive10

So far Ive cut my rig in half and only using 1 head and a 8x10 cab, but Im considering getting rid of the 8x10 and getting a Ampeg 6x10 or a 4x10 and a 1x15, I simply dont have the room for all of my gear and need to thin the heard, any thoughts on this??? Never heard or seen a 6x10 in person, this is what Im most interested in.

VOLVO)))

The 6x10 has a little less oomph than the 8x10, that's all I've noticed between the two...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

Don't the six bys have a high frequency horn and a crossover built in?
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

I'm pretty sure some of them do, I know the 6x10 my buddy has is plane jane. It's the 8x10 with some shit cut off.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

6x10 isn't all that much smaller or lighter than the 8x10 (if we're talking aboot Ampegs). Different sound - 6x10 is ported, 8x10 is sealed. If you have some money to spend, try a Bergantino NV 6x10 ('new vintage') they weigh around 100 pounds and are supposedly louder (more efficient) and go lower than the Ampeg 8x10, and are sealed cabs.

I'm not a fan of tweeters in a bass cab - I would turn it off, or turn it almost all the way down. If no attenuator, possibly disconnect it. 'Zing' on bass = ugh.

edited for redundancy
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

???

bass sic

Ill take that 8x10 off yer hands.

Pissy

I love my 6x10, and I have the attenuator turned all the way down.  Size wise it really helps because it can fit in a minivan standing up.  Also, it has just enough oomph to get you there, whereas a 410 in my experience not so much with our kind of music.

FWIW, I played a show with an ampeg 810 and I couldn't tell all that much of a difference in terms of output.  If anything I had less headroom with that than I did my normal setup, and my bandmates noticed.
Vinyls.   deal.

Jake

I've owned both an 8x10 and a 6x10 (both Ampeg). I prefer the 6x10 on pretty much all accounts – portability, tone, looks, etc.
poop.

Hemisaurus

What makes a 6x10 better than 3 2x10's?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 12, 2011, 10:16:52 AM
What makes a 6x10 better than 3 2x10's?

Not looking like a total douchebag.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

and the totally cool surgical truss ???

Jake

Ha! I you're gonna stack three 2x10s, you may as well go the distance and stack four.
poop.

justJon

Get a couple 2x15's and tell your drummer to hit the gym more often. ;)
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Hemisaurus

I was going to say get the Monlith 415, or if you must have 10"s, get the BlkArm, it's about the same size and price as a 6x10.

But yeah, I have gone off 10"s seems to be very little need for them. They don't sound good' and they blow to easily.