riffer mark, i have a couple pedal questions thx

Started by jibberish, October 31, 2014, 11:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

the original MT-2 is strange. look at the schematic. strange.

I don't like any of the boss full on distortions. the 3 knob one is really bad.
The thing that makes the MT-2 special is a certain tone it has.  Keep the distortion knob off or 9 o'clock max or so just to put a slight haze of distortion in. the circuit is working a little even with the knob all the way down. Then play with the 2 tones in the middle to get just the right sound.  Nothing else like this that I have heard and it is really nice. i'll have to make a track with some mt-2 settings. So I won't get rid of it. It just isn't part of the daily toolbox any longer.

my beef is that the distortion is just full on crap out mode and the pedal is noisy. a synth has too much going on and it just all gets blurred together.
it is fun for the guitar for screwing around, but I have a roadkill, which is arguably the crappiest dist ever made, for if I want pure crap driver. it is so rough and ugly heh.

Yeah, for some reason, the original MT-2's go for a lot. 
didn't helmet do an album with an mt-2? was it betty? I should listen to that to really listen to what they are doing.

jibberish

I believe I found a great MT-2 example. This was sequenced bass+drums onto roland HD recorder. it has add-on onboard effects processors and I hear reverb on the tracks.

There is a rhythm and a lead guitar.
the rhythm has the MT-2 with the dist turned up being used as a distortion box proper. notice it works in the mix and all, but it is not all that nice. both tracks were with the cortez 197x LP. the recording is clean, maybe too clean heh, but that helps get a good listen to the guitars.
what is nice is the lead of the outro. this is with the dist on, but the dist knob all the way off and you can hear weird harmonics at times and some dist on hard hits, but mostly it's just weird tone and it leaves the highs alone pretty much, well you can goose the highs with the knobs too...sounds like a familiar theme: goose highs to hear wtf is going on.

the song proper ends at like 2:50 and it then goes into the long outro jam. so 3:00 is just the rhythm. it sounds nicer, the lighter the strums, then gets pretty lost when really hitting it. I think the lead is some of the prettiest sounding guitar noise I have ever made and just that touch of the MT-2 is key.

ps: bonus points for noticing where I pay homage to Twiggy in buck rogers 21st century haha. Also, I linked this in a thread before so it isn't anything new, just a new look at it.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/doktordeath/whiterabbit-cover-doktor-death[/soundcloud]

so the little beast stays.

The Shocker

RacerX

The Metal Zone is an absolutely hideous sounding pedal.

Why would you shit up a thread about Dark Arts Toneworks products with mention of it, nevermind providing a fecal sound sample—even if you did start the thread?
Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

The Riffer

IMO, all of these devices are tools for sound shaping. No tool is bad in itself. 8)

That said, if I ever wanted to sound like a bakers dozen of tapeworms chaotically trying to escape a baking can of scat, then I would find the MZ a fucking awesome tool.
Its all in a properly executed application.
BTW, I didn't listen to the sound sample.  ;D , nor do i have an unfavorable reaction to cavorting with shit worms.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

jibberish

ok, nevermind.   trying to show something and the monkeys cant handle it.

RacerX

If the Riffer is a monkey, I'll be a monkey's uncle.
Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

Settle down Jib. I'm no stranger to crap:

Picked it up for the price of lunch.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

Did you record that metal zone directly into a boombox, inside of a metal trashcan?

If not, you emulated thay effect really well.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

jibberish

so, in conclusion, this is why the PS has replaced the MT-2 for all general uses.
and that is why I am still keeping the MT-2 on the shelf next to the road kill, for when I want that one special sound.

and definitely, no more questions. heh

The Shocker

jibberish

fwiw, I don't have a metal zone. I have an original run HM-2 heavy metal.  the ones that people pay $100 for because they sound better than the metal zone version.

I also have read that a bunch of other people use it like I do: dist on zero, lots of gain and tones to suit.
y'all probably have never even heard an original one. your loss.

VOLVO)))

Yeah... I keep a Japanese HM-2 on my guitar board... You know, Entombed worship...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

Quote from: jibberish on December 13, 2014, 06:20:23 PM
fwiw, I don't have a metal zone. I have an original run HM-2 heavy metal.  the ones that people pay $100 for because they sound better than the metal zone version.

I also have read that a bunch of other people use it like I do: dist on zero, lots of gain and tones to suit.
y'all probably have never even heard an original one. your loss.

How many times in this thread did you say you have an MT-2? Ten times and then you say "oh actually I don't have a MetalZone I have a HM-2". Don't ever change.

The Shocker

I think this is a troll thread.  And that song is trolling too. 

jibberish

oh shit. yeah, I was fucking up. I got mt-2 in my head. it's an hm-2.

and the end of this thread was really about how even the hm-2 is getting retired except for one tone
sorry about the confusion. my bad.

should I edit all those into hm-2?

RacerX

I hate my Boss DS-1.

Or is it an SD-1?

Ah, fuck it; I can't remember...
Livin' The Life.

eyeprod

I've got a metal zone. I modded it. Still sounds crap, but I used it for distorted vocals and it was pretty cool. The eq is helpful, but I think my mods screwed with it because now it (the eq) acts funny.
CV - Slender Fungus

CID Vicious

Quote from: VOLVO))) on December 04, 2014, 01:01:44 PM
The metal zone will forever be the worst sounding distortion I have ever heard, next to the DOD death metal pedal.

Both are raging tone machines next to a DOD Supra Distortion.

But yeah, it kills the fun of a Six Feet Under cover..."turn that fucking MT2 OFF! For fucks sake man, that pedal? That's your tone?"

I wonder if the Keeley modded ones are worth a shit...but really, aren't there a million better "metal" dirtboxes on the market by now? Get a Joyo or Biyang copy of a real pedal :D

I keeed...not really though...
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"