riffer mark, i have a couple pedal questions thx

Started by jibberish, October 31, 2014, 11:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

I was wondering what the current draw at 9v was with the pharaoh supreme, or even better, just a loose range like '100-200mA or something for all your pedals.

then I was wondering if you saw anything wrong with daisy-chaining 2 of those USB 5v 1A supplies to build a 10v (that may sag a hair under load anyway) 1 A pedal supply in a pinch? 

The Riffer

Low consumption, All under 12mA.
When a one spot can be had for under 20 bux, and deliver plenty of power in a relatively clean manner, I cant condone fucking around with any lesser option.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

VOLVO)))

Concur with Mark
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

ok, this one spot is the info I am looking for. right. I would rather not rig shit either but i'm not paying $100 for a 9v octopus either.
thx for the info. ya 12mA is nice low consumption

and this is why we ask lots of questions before we try things. make all mistakes on paper. way cheaper.

jibberish

ok, this has helped.
I looked up the 1 spot system. nice. and decent pricing. 1700mA is some beef.

so rather than jerk with usb supplies, I can just splice more taps into my trusty old 9v enercell  I have been using for 1 pedal at a time.
it is an 800mA supply.
I looked up the malekko delay and it uses 50mA.  so that and the pharaoh are no sweat.
I already added an extension to it, so I can just tap the parallel wad of wires into there.

then if I need a second one, I just get a one-spot and a power plug array for maybe $30 total.

thank you gentlemen.
one more concept checked off the list of thousands.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOLVO)))

Quote from: jibberish on October 31, 2014, 04:19:12 PM

and this is why we ask lots of questions before we try things. make all mistakes on paper. way cheaper.

Or instead of overcomplicating everything in your head, you could start simple before you decide to make a Rube Goldberg machine to wind power your pedals.

Be practical, be fine. Mantra.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

I have several of these usb power supplies, so it would be a simple matter to hack 2 usb cables into a 10v 1000mA supply for free for a second pedal supply in 5 minutes.
so not rube at all. more instantly doable. but maybe 10v isn't so good. usually 10% overvoltage is no sweat, but I cant assume that.

the key info was the current draw.  any tard can splice more taps into a 9v wall wart now that I see the draws are so low. so this tard is gonna commence to splicing.

but you see, I did all my exploring on paper. at the end of the day, I find that old dead universal radio shack supply, steal the correct sized end and solder it to the other splice for a second power tap, which is all I need for now. I ended up with the cleanest cheapest solution at the end.

moose23

Not sure if they're selling them officially yet but I got a couple of samples of usb cables that had a built in transfomer and regulator that you plugged into those usb power supplies and gave you a regulated 9V 700mA output. Also runnable off the usb port on the laptop.

Looks like this one but it's 9V not 12V:

http://myvolts.com/product.php/16220/0/12V_Acoustic_Solutions_MK-928_Keyboard_USB_power_supply

jibberish

^nice to see others think along the lines I do at times.

ps. someone needs to market pharaohs to keyboard/organ players.

after playing with my greta "tube driver" and the pharaoh "transistor driver" and comparing them, the feel of the distortion is different. tube is floppy sloppy goodness whereas the transistor is a tighter buzz. liquid's song is a great example of transistor buzz. exquisite tone.  and when an organ patch is compared through both, the difference is big between tube slop and ss slop. both are great.

then the pharaoh supreme has the tone booster which leaves subtle higher freq stuff alone. my MT-2 just hammers everything into oblivion. MT-2 is a guitar only effect IMO.
i'm thinking about a second one for stereo stuff.

also synth bass is the shit with the pharaoh. it was built with bass use in mind and it does not disappoint when used for synth bass. if I play bass in a project, that's how I will go: keyboard-pharaoh->   
mostly because I can play keys 10x better than bass guitar heh.

VOLVO)))

The metal zone will forever be the worst sounding distortion I have ever heard, next to the DOD death metal pedal.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

Wow. That's a hell of an endorsement.

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis, and I must commend you for your discerning ear of impeccable taste.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

VOLVO)))

Yeah, my Pharaoh is pretty alright.

:-*:-*

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Yeah I've been using my to great............effect :P
No Focus Pocus

The Riffer

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

VOLVO)))

Where specifically? Asking for a friend.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Hey Jake, do you like any of those 80's DOD pedals?

The Riffer

Quote from: VOLVO))) on December 05, 2014, 12:31:40 AM
Where specifically? Asking for a friend.
Down to my solar plexus , meow meow meow.
Thx for asking.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

Jor el

As I read this page, I was wondering why I ain't got no pharaoh yet.
The "meow meow meow" sealed the deal.
It is time.
Can I get a special Don Gato Edition?
What Would Scooby Do ?

RacerX

Artwork should be the funeral procession:

"It wasn't very merry meow meow meow

Going to the cemetery meow meow meow

For the ending of Don Gato..."
Livin' The Life.

The Riffer

Hah. I love it.
Lemme talk to my printer, see what he can do. Id love to do a limited edition Don Gato Pharaoh. ;D
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB

The Shocker

Shit, it would only be my third Pharaoh, but I'd like to be in on that.   DO IT!

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

Back when the Dimebag sound was all the rage (CFH - Vulgar Display era), that MetalZone was pretty popular.  For some time the HM2s were second hand bargain bin items, and everyone had at least one that they weren't using - at least in my circles.  Once they were discontinued and Ebay popped up, they were collectible vintage effects.  I recall at the time that the metal zone was even moreso.

not that that makes either of them sound good or bad.
Vinyls.   deal.