Main Menu

Cheapest Bass Tuners?

Started by Hemisaurus, March 02, 2011, 01:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

$20.97 + $8.00 shipping, can anyone do me better?

justinhedrick

hemi,
do you need all four of those tuners? the reason i ask is because i need 2 black tuners for a bass repair i have going . . .

Hemisaurus

Yep, I need 4 unfortunately. You have a choice of a set of 4 for $28 or 2 for $26+$7 shipping. Now if I had needed 5 I might have sold you the other 3 ;)

zachoff thats $13 for one vs. $21 for a set of four.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

See trade thread.  ;)

If anyone has any, let me know, we can work something out.

mortlock

is it worth it to buy cheap tuners....im thinking theyre kind of important..

you did kind of jump my shit a little, hemi..in that other tech thread. but this is what im saying..you guys get all tech one minute and then want to use the crappiest tuners you can find the next..wheres the sense in that.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mortlock on March 02, 2011, 09:36:37 PM

you did kind of jump my shit a little, hemi..in that other tech thread. but this is what im saying..you guys get all tech one minute and then want to use the crappiest tuners you can find the next..wheres the sense in that.
is this another of your drunken observations?

mortlock

you started the threads..not me. tell me where im wrong with the observation..

VOLVO)))

Quote from: mortlock on March 02, 2011, 10:11:00 PM

There's a difference between technical information, and having the money to put it to work.

Who's to say all low-dollar shit is awful? We can all attest to having good, cheap shit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ranbat

Quote from: mortlock on March 02, 2011, 09:36:37 PM

To me it depends. If it's my gigging axe, I'll lay out some extra cash for good tuners. Something I'm fixing to flip? I'm putting the cheapest thing on I can. Hopefully some used ones I took off  from an upgrade I did for somebody.
Meh :/

VOLVO)))

I always put decent parts on my shit, probably because a lot of people end up playing my instruments, and I want them to pay me to set their shit up to play like mine. If it's just a project bass you're going to dick around on, Hemi, buy the cheapest ones possible. You don't have to put Grover Titans on a bullshit bass, to make it stay in tune.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mortlock on March 02, 2011, 10:11:00 PM
I think it's conception more than observation that is troubling you, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that there is a correlation between being a tech, and being a tweaky tone geek. Just because I know there is a right way and a wrong way to plug a speaker cab into an amplifier, doesn't mean I go out and spend $300 on a set of matched NOS KT88's, nor do I go out and examine peoples setups in minute detail, just so I can clone their sound.

Being tech is a great way to stretch your dollar, I don't play music for money, I play it for fun, how much did you spend on your main axe? Your backup axe? How often does your gear let you down? C'mon let us all know why your way is better ;D

mortlock

listen..im going to extend the olive branch here..im not looking for trouble. i dont have a better 'way'. i dont even have a way at all.
some of the things said seemed inconsistant to me but i get where you and some of the other guys are coming from. no big deal.
i only have one bass..dont have a back up. my gear is limited. i have a heavily modded fender jazz bass [seen here in other threads] a 100 watt ampeg combo and an ampeg 410 and an old peavey mark vi head..and a bunch of pedals. thats it..i like gear and equipment as much as the next guy but im clueless when it comes to fixing things and tech talk.
amperage/voltage/watts etc confuse the hell out of me for some reason.

justinhedrick

i've had numerous techs tell me that everyone blames crappy tuners on tuning problems, but most of the time it is the nut and or the bridge causing issues.

not sure if this is true, as i'm not a tech, but play crappy gear!

Hemisaurus

It's very true on guitars, especially but not exclusively, those with tremolo systems. All that movement sometimes strings get stuck in the nut or saddle and don't return to the same place. Even on non trem though, sometimes a string snags a little in the saddle, you tune up, it slides through the saddle, or the saddle settles, there goes your tuning.

I always feel a bass is more stable, I have some really junky basses, with terrible tuners, but once you get them set, they stay set, and these are old junky basses, from what I've seen of modern junky basses, of which I've played a few at other peoples places, and set up some, like Rogues, Drives etc. the tuners are OK.

mortlock, I accept, fyi I gig with 5 stringers, my main was only $175, and my backup was $75, even if the tuners were for those basses rather than one of my pet projects, I couldn't justify spending too much on them y'know.

zachoff

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 02, 2011, 06:27:10 PM
Yep, I need 4 unfortunately. You have a choice of a set of 4 for $28 or 2 for $26+$7 shipping. Now if I had needed 5 I might have sold you the other 3 ;)

zachoff thats $13 for one vs. $21 for a set of four.

Oh, ha.  Wow, yeah.  The ones you found are wicked cheap then.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, that tied in with my Canadian beef, Choppers Music seem to just have their eBay store now, they used to maintain a separate website. They have a nice collection of generic bass replacement parts, pickups and bridges. Click on the pic to go to the store. :)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 03, 2011, 12:18:28 PM
Yeah, that tied in with my Canadian beef, Choppers Music seem to just have their eBay store now, they used to maintain a separate website. They have a nice collection of generic bass replacement parts, pickups and bridges. Click on the pic to go to the store. :)

does this mean tha they are no longer the cheapest?

check out guitarfetish. those are pretty cheap.

Lumpy

There are used tuners all over the classifieds at Talkbass.com -- whether they are the tuners that will fit your bass is another question, that may require some patience and repeated views. My experience with buying gear has been that you need to get lucky to find a deal, otherwise it's often an investment in time to find the cheap/good shit, or just spend the money if you don't have the spare time for bargain hunting.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.