Do cassettes sell in Europe?

Started by sludgelord3000, March 12, 2014, 01:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sludgelord3000

See title of thread. I know there's a big demand for vinyl, but is the OTHER old-timey format du jour -- cassette tape -- as popular over there as it is amongst USA hipster types?

Metal and Beer

I think there's a pretty strong hipster element over yon, too, so....yes ?  ;)

Signed, Guy Who's Never Even Been There
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RAGER

Man if there is maybe I can make a buck off the Limey contingent by selling them my 80's thrash tapes.
No Focus Pocus

sludgelord3000

I know there are hipsters over there, but I wasn't sure if the cassette revival is a thing there. They might have moved on to wax cylinders already.

I ask because my band with the incomprehensible name is doing a few weeks of shows over there. We wanted to do a 7" or something but it doesn't look like we have enough lead time to get it pressed (for various reasons). Cassettes, however, are cheap and quick.

We just want to give those Euro folks something to remember us by, besides the American style super-sized chili-on-top chlamydia.

JemDooM

Cant speak for Europe but the UK LOVES em...
DooM!

sludgelord3000

Cool, thanks for the intel. Are you going to Dessertfest, by the by?

MichaelZodiac

Yes, they sell like candy. Also, I'll be at the Belgium date!
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

sludgelord3000

Sweet. Make sure you come up and say hi. Oh, and where are the good Belgian beers at? Where do I go for the good, locals only type stuff?

jibberish

you know, just holding a cassette is cool, like a wad of bills. 

holding a CD is like holding a credit card. meh..

mortlock

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

I hope my vintage late '80s Walkman sells for $20 on ebay. Still works great.

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: sludgelord3000 on March 12, 2014, 05:09:46 PM
Sweet. Make sure you come up and say hi. Oh, and where are the good Belgian beers at? Where do I go for the good, locals only type stuff?
I will! For Belgian beers, just try the local supermarket and be amazed ;D There are also some specialty Belgian beer bars in the student town you're playing.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Metal and Beer

MMMM Belgian supermarkets full of local ale <3  (Yer-A Peein' Tour joke goes here)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mortlock

hades mining co.//unequaltoyou split tape. human beard records.

anyone in the EU who wants this..hit me up. ill still ship to crimea since that shit just happened. ill grandfather you in..

moose23

Quote from: JemDooM on March 12, 2014, 02:15:17 PM
Cant speak for Europe but the UK LOVES em...

Can Ireland to that too.

eoin_not_ian

Bunch of bands around Glasgow doing the 'sell cassettes' gimmick. As soon as they get money its on with the vinyl only release. Prefer CDs myself as I currently don't have a record player.

Chest Rockwell

remind me, what band is sludgelord in!? ?!
I play bass in THORUN

Facebook  www.facebook.com/Thorunband
Music       www.thorun.bandcamp.com
Youtube   www.youtube.com/user/Thorunband

sludgelord3000

I play in The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic. We did the DesertFests then 2 more weeks around Europe. I brought 100 cassettes, sold out of them. So in answer to my own question, yes, cassettes do sell in Europe. Wish we had time to press vinyl before we left, but the cassettes were a nice addition to the merch table.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Pissy

Quote from: sludgelord3000 on June 12, 2014, 06:43:00 PM
I play in The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic. We did the DesertFests then 2 more weeks around Europe. I brought 100 cassettes, sold out of them. So in answer to my own question, yes, cassettes do sell in Europe. Wish we had time to press vinyl before we left, but the cassettes were a nice addition to the merch table.

I didn't know that. You're like the antithesis of a spammer Sludgy.
Vinyls.   deal.

sludgelord3000

And yet the few times I have stopped by to hype stuff I got shit for it.

black

I *heart* sl3k (and rick f. as well!)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

sludgelord3000

Thanks, man! We Heart Black, too.

GeeZa

I *like* cassettes. I mean actually like them. As a format.