De armond 7 string SG style. i never heard anything like it

Started by jibberish, December 31, 2013, 01:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

my nephew comes up with this just swapping guitars, and he brought it over thanksgiving so we jammed a little.

he took the 7th string off. who knows why, although he found he could bend the e string like no other person could bend the string AWAY from the other strings haha

but that's not why I mention this. btw, he craiglisted like a few days ago. I was going offer him a swap..like "pick one" except my LP and my hagstrom because I actually use the hag and the LP is worth more. I bummed. why?

ok I was showing him how nice feeding the tube pre into my shit kustom combo sounded. I was using the LP I think. LP sounds pretty nasty full ok.
so then later he gives it a go with that SG.

I shit you not, that tone was bigger, deeper ,raggedier and whole bunch more adjectives of awesome wicked like I truly have never heard out of guitar. made my LP sound like a strat on the neck single coil pup same power chord but it was like the 7th string power was still in there. I was stunned hearing that coming out of that shit rig. the combo has a 12" 30 watts so no big deal. greta=12ax7 so nothing special at all. no pedalsjust the greta gain(greta=2watt fender tabletop combo amp)

I have no explanation. my nephew and I were kicking ideas around but we couldn't get anywhere. that sg is just a slab/neck/tuners/pups nothing crazy except the 7 pole pickups used with only 6 strings. if someone put a gun to my head and said "guess or die" I would have to say the pickup, but that would be just to avoid getting ventilated.

how can we figure out what made that dearmond sg sound like that? does anyone have or know anyone who owns one. that isn't exactly common either.
does someone know the real scoop on a 7 pole pickup. does the odd number of poles affect the winding pattern and maybe the shape of the overall magnetic fields around the pup.
does the e string somehow feed the low b pup for extra bottom?

I have decent resolution in what I am listening to. I have been getting more used to tube amp and guitar combo sounds, plus hearing the recorded songs that have tube amps which is pretty much all of them except some metal.  so I think I really heard something crazy different with that guitar, but I sure would like to get double checked on it.

can someone pull the B off their 7 string and see if it plays power chords more wicked than a regular 6 string?

you would all dig this sound. it was so sick and no pedal

liquidsmoke

Sounds awesome. I'm sure the longer scale contributes somewhat to the tone but that's all I got.

Ancient

I've got two of them, but tuned to a version of Drop F (FCFA#DGC). A blue one and a black one, both with ibanez pickups (the dimarzio built ones that are around 17-18k in the bridge).

IMO what gives these guitars their huge gnarly tone is a combo of the scale and weight, plus the huge tailpiece that is flat and connects completely to the body, not just the posts like a gibson. Their 25.5" scale and weight about 12.5 lbs, the bodies are like the old gibson sonex's, mahogany core surrounded with basically MDF which makes the really bassy with crazy sustain, which you wouldnt think with the word MDF in there. These are secret weapons not many people know about, and even though I've all ready got 2 I'm working on picking up a third hahaha

themusketking

I have the Dearmond S65(that I got for DIRT CHEAP and LOVE) but, I've always wanted one of those.  I love the construction and the tone. They're cheap, too. You can get one for under $400.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

jibberish

nice

you have no idea how much more sense this entire thread makes, because I heard the deal before the discussion. like a blind taste.

nice bonus to know that one is not fucking insane either. for a minute, I didn't want my LP anymore

liquidsmoke

Damn, I wish my back and shoulder could handle 12 lbs. Sounds like it's basically the heaviest toned guitar ever made.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

poop.

Beta Cloud

i would have never given one of these a second look... but honestly it sounds like a killer guit and a very unique sound given the weight/nature of the bridge config/pups.
also you are a most excellent uncle, jibberish my man!
why does it hurt when i pee?

Beta Cloud

Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 02, 2014, 12:46:11 AM
Damn, I wish my back and shoulder could handle 12 lbs. Sounds like it's basically the heaviest toned guitar ever made.

build up the beer belly as a means of support. you'll thank me later.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Beta Cloud on January 03, 2014, 10:39:06 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on January 02, 2014, 12:46:11 AM

build up the beer belly as a means of support. you'll thank me later.

It's been growing slowly over the last few years although I'd have to wear a guitar pretty high for it to help.

Beta Cloud

Ranbat

I had two of them at one point. I bought the first one as a way to get into a 7 string cheap. I found it thick enough that it was going to be the guitar for a two piece project so I bought a second. I got both off of eBay for less than $200 shipped. Haven't looked at one recently though.
Meh :/