Reverend Ron Asheton signature anyone?

Started by Dr.Zayus, December 21, 2013, 02:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Zayus

I've had a hard on for these for a long time and got a nice Christmas bonus. Thinking about getting one. Anybody play/have one? Curious to hear your thoughts about Reverend guitars in general. I haven't been able to buy any gear since before the recession hit...Stoked...but, I don't want to buy a cool looking guitar that collects dust because it plays or sounds shitty.

Curious to hear your thoughts...
Thanks

RacerX

As I've posted before, I really wanted to like the Reverends, but they didn't cut it—every one I've played sounded tonally flat & felt dead in the hands. Tried the Sensei, Volcano (although not the Asheton model), Buckshot, & Flatroc.

My 2 cents: don't buy one without playing it first.
Livin' The Life.

lordfinesse

I've come fairly close to buying one (or trading for it at least).  I revisit the idea sometimes.
Billy Squier 24/7

Dr.Zayus

Damn, Racer...I'm bummed to hear that. That 3 P-90 set up has me written all over it and it looks shit-hot!

James1214

I think the thing is sexy as fuck, and I've never known someone who loves the p-90 as much as you. Id see if you can find one and actually get your hands on it that would obviously be the best. I have read that Reverend are a damn good deal for the money. Also, i dig that the portion that would have gone to him is, since his passing, going to an educational foundation his family put together.
words

mortlock

you really cant go wrong with a 'v'. they look cool no matter what..

dogfood

It has a graphite nut, I've never had a guitar with one, how do they affect sound.  In my experience:  plastic=super bright and bone=good balanced.
Problem solving whiskey!

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: dogfood on December 22, 2013, 10:17:40 PM
It has a graphite nut, I've never had a guitar with one, how do they affect sound.  In my experience:  plastic=super bright and bone=good balanced.

Key thing is how they are cut, and once they are cut right, the hardness and lubrication determines how long they stay cut right. Differnet materials have an effect after that, but if they are cut wrong, material can suddenly make more difference, or less since the being miscut dominates.

http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/rout_serv/nut_geom.htm

Instant Dan

I have a tusq nut on SG and I love it, solved my tuning issues I had with brass that was even cut correctly.

Volume

I have the Ron Asheton Sig. It sounds good, plays well, looks awesome, stays in tune, no neck-dive, etc. There's something about it I don't like though, but I can't put my finger on it, like it's somehow lacking in mojo.

hayseed

I really dig Reverend guitars. I tried out a Volcano about a month ago and though it played well, I'm just not a V guy! I just bought a Daredevil 290 and I must say its a beast! Plays great, sounds great, LOVE the tuners, and looks sweet. My only bitch it that I wish I would have got one with humbuckers instead of p90s. I'm not a huge p90 fan.

Those Ashton Vs are so nice!

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Volume

Dr.Zayus

Well, I bought the thing and plugged it in for the first time last night. I gotta say it exceeded my wildest expectations. Plays great, looks beautiful, and the p90 s in it sound as good, or maybe even better than my Gibson!(and I AM a p90 guy). I was a little worries because any guitar but an SG usually feels uncomfortable to me, but this thing ways about as much as a feather and feels really nice....and yeah, locking tuners are really nice too. it's an amazing value with what they're selling them for.

hayseed

I will admit the P90s in my Rev sound 100% better than the Gibson P90s that were in my SG Classic. Congrats on the purchase.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC