you guys who run single channel amps dirty

Started by justinhedrick, February 23, 2011, 04:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

how do you guys deal with running time based effects in front of your dirty amp?

i've been rethinking my tone lately and have thought about running my peavey VTM 60 dirty, and using an EQ pedal out front to knock down the gain as my "clean" channel. but i don't know what to do about my pedal board (flanger, trem, 2 delays). i could run it in the effects loop, but that is even more cable that my signal has to go through, and i've heard that the effects loop on the vtms kind of sucks.

thoughts?

Discö Rice

Try it out, see if you can tell the difference, pick the better sound.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

Also, try a micro amp if you're worried about signal loss. I doubt you're losing more than 10db, so I'm sure that'll fix it. If you are, build that pedal +/-20db volume pedal that Hemi said he wouldn't .

justinhedrick

Quote from: Discö Rice on February 23, 2011, 04:28:37 PM

that's true. but now that i'm thinking about it, i have a fuzz pedal that i want to work into my gear, i don't think a fuzz would play well with a distorted amp, would it??

spookstrickland

My fuzz face always likes a slightly dirty amp.

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 23, 2011, 04:43:31 PM

that's true. but now that i'm thinking about it, i have a fuzz pedal that i want to work into my gear, i don't think a fuzz would play well with a distorted amp, would it??
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

justinhedrick

thanks for your help everyone. i'm going to try the VTM on full bore, with the EQ to knock it down and go from there.

Discö Rice

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 23, 2011, 04:43:31 PM

I actually love the sound of a shit ton of overdrive with a healthy dose of fuzz, bit it ain't for everyone.

peyotepeddler

i have always ran my delay's last, that being said, try it all around your chain and see how dirt effects it before and after

justinhedrick

Quote from: peyotepeddler on February 23, 2011, 05:48:36 PM
i have always ran my delay's last, that being said, try it all around your chain and see how dirt effects it before and after

do you run it in front of a dirty amp though?

peyotepeddler

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 23, 2011, 05:54:09 PM

yes, medium grind going on, i don't play through a high gain head by no means

i was alluding to moving a dirt box of some sort around in the chain, overlooked the lack of a dirt pedal in your chain

mawso

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 23, 2011, 04:06:11 PM
how do you guys deal with running time based effects in front of your dirty amp?

easy - i don't have any

justinhedrick

Quote from: mawso on February 24, 2011, 09:11:10 AM

easy - i don't have any

ha! that's one way around it, i guess.

justinhedrick

Quote from: peyotepeddler on February 23, 2011, 11:38:42 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on February 23, 2011, 05:54:09 PM

yes, medium grind going on, i don't play through a high gain head by no means

i was alluding to moving a dirt box of some sort around in the chain, overlooked the lack of a dirt pedal in your chain

oh, i have several dirt pedals: a rat, dano french toast, and dano fab fuzz (i don't use all 3 at once, mostly just the rat).

LogicalFrank

You know, back in the day when I ran some high-gain solid state Marshall nonsense, all my flanger and delays and everything sounded just great but that has never been the case running these same effects before my Rat which is what I currently use for dirt. That has always struck me as kind of strange.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

black_out

I run od -> boost -> delay -> reverb -> Amp. Works fine.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

mawso

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 24, 2011, 09:26:41 AM
Quote from: mawso on February 24, 2011, 09:11:10 AM

easy - i don't have any

ha! that's one way around it, i guess.

yeah, i'm serious too.. if i had a use for a delay, and I wanted it to come through without sounding like a total mess, I'd use different amps.  Either something with an FX loop, or a clean channel, or I'd get my dirt from a pedal.  Or I'd run 2 amps and use a stereo delay. 

Chorus and reverb can work in front of a dirty amp, but it has a different sound.  chorus pedal into a dirty amp tends to sound pretty cheesy to me - it's that "Doug Aldrich in Whitesnake" tone - it cuts through like a mofo but it's very one dimensional, might work well as an occasional thing though.

Volume

I run my amp fairly clean, a bunch of dirt pedals -> chorus/flanger -> phaser -> delay -> amp. I'll probably add an reverb to the end of the chain when I get around to rearranging my board. There's an fx loop on my amp, but I can't be bothered with all the extra cords I'd have to use. Not using/having a fx loop has never been a problem for me.

core9

I've been having a similar problem using my delay in my chain.  If its before my fuzz, it kills the tone a bit(which is unacceptable), and if I put it after the fuzz, it is a total fuckin mess.  You can't even really hear delays....it might as well be a verb.