Doomhawk's Speaker Cabinet Thread

Started by doomhawk, August 30, 2011, 05:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallen

Old cabs with a thinner baffle board tend to sound a little less "dead". Meaning that the thinnner wood flexes more and creates a sort of natural reverb at high volumes as you hear the sounds from the speaker cones and also a second softer sound from the baffle board itself vibrating sympathetically.

Thicker wood makes a deader sounding cab but the low end will be better. I don't think the era or type of plywood, although it will make some difference, makes as much difference as the thickness of the baffle board. The old cabinets tended to be thinner though as far as I know.

Lumpy

If I'm not mistaken, people find particle board acceptable material for bass cabinets precisely because it's not resonant (well probably mostly because it's dirt cheap, but lack of resonance isn't a negative). Resonant would mean it's absorbing energy. Less resonant means good projection and more efficient. That's why good bass cabs are securely braced inside with extra wood. The biggest beef with particle board seems to be that if you drop your particle board cab, it's going to bust up easier than a birch ply cab. Also, particle board is heavy (which again is good for projection, but bad for carrying around). So particle board cabs are not considered good 'road worthy' cabs. Anyway, I think it's mainly guitar players who would want their cabs to be resonant. And probably more for guys who care about 'good tone' in the conventional sense.

Was that a thread hijack?  :-[
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

Alright, shitbags, this gets it's own thread.

I also just realized the inner bracing is seriously a legit 2x4.

Rad work, Marshall.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.