Mainstream Big Muff Clones?

Started by spookstrickland, February 22, 2011, 03:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

I know there are lots of boutique Big Muff clones out there but have the mainstream manufacturers like:  Boss, DoD, Mxr, Ibanez or Dunlop ever made a Muff like pedal in the last 25 years?

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Baltar

Only one I can think of is the newer Way Huge Swollen Pickle.  Dunlop/MXR owns Way Huge now.  Buy a Ronsound Hairpie, they're cheap and make 3 different Muffs.  $134 shipped from Indiana.  The Pickle is a Swiss Army Knife Muff that's cheaper than a Blackout Twosome.  It also get close to Silicon Fuzz Face tones.  Pretty cool from one of the bigger companies.

Here's my Hairpie Classic after a re-house from Pedal Parts Plus.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Instant Dan

I ordered recently a Ronsound Hairpie Ramhead clone. The guy used to work for EHX and their gandmade for less than a good chunk of most boutique pedals. I almost got pedal 666 ;D

Hemisaurus

There's a Spanish site with all the Muff variations gathered together, err
http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm

spookstrickland

I was hoping there was some under-priced neglected "Muff" like pedal out there that could be scooped up on the cheap on ebay or craigs list but...the search continues.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

justinhedrick

Quote from: spookstrickland on February 22, 2011, 04:57:31 PM
I was hoping there was some under-priced neglected "Muff" like pedal out there that could be scooped up on the cheap on ebay or craigs list but...the search continues.

the danelectro fabtone could get pretty muffy. the big reddish/brown pedal. that is pretty much the first mogwai albums sound from what i'm told.

Baltar

You are correct!  I played one of the first ones back in '96 at Elderly Instruments.  One of the salesmen was pushing it hard on me.  But I walked out the door with a brand new Green Russian Muff for $60.

Edit:  The Muff was cheaper at the time and well it was a Muff, not a copy.

fuzzfarmer

Quote from: spookstrickland on February 22, 2011, 03:28:42 PM
I know there are lots of boutique Big Muff clones out there but have the mainstream manufacturers like:  Boss, DoD, Mxr, Ibanez or Dunlop ever made a Muff like pedal in the last 25 years?

Electro Harmonix/ Sovtek  ;D

I recommend the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz.
http://blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com/

spookstrickland

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

keep them coming.

thanks

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 22, 2011, 05:02:21 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on February 22, 2011, 04:57:31 PM

the danelectro fabtone could get pretty muffy. the big reddish/brown pedal. that is pretty much the first mogwai albums sound from what i'm told.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

NoSleepTilSleep

First metal casing Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz. Circuit copy of a Frantone Peachfuzz, which is actualy a very tuned Bigmuff (lotta bass, lotta mids)

Baltar

There's 10 of 'em on ebay right now.  Check the PDX Craig's too.  Bet you could find one for under $30.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/2229235926.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/2228682478.html

spookstrickland

I just took a listen to one of those on youtube.  Awesome!  I'll be looking to poach one of these for cheap on craigslist.

Thanks

Quote from: NoSleepTilSleep on February 22, 2011, 08:49:41 PM
First metal casing Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz. Circuit copy of a Frantone Peachfuzz, which is actualy a very tuned Bigmuff (lotta bass, lotta mids)
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

VOLVO)))

69   VD1   Vintage Distortion    electro-harmonix      Big Muff

These are really easy to make usable, too.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.