The most awesome piece of gear you ever found at a Good Will type store???

Started by spookstrickland, September 06, 2013, 04:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

I'm sure some of us on here have found some really cool shit.  I found a brand new Fender tuner pedal still in the box for 5 bucks once at the Salvation Army.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

The Riffer

Musical gear..I've bought a few old organs. Not guts, but old Hammond tonewheels and I bought two Baldwin Tube organs. They didn't sound very good, but each yielded over 100 tubes, mostly 12ax7s. Heavy as fuck, but worht it for the tubes and HUGE iron in them...
But the most important thing I ever bought in a goodwill was a pair of old school Hutch BMX bikes. @ 35 for a pair it was probably the best deal I ever got in life..on anything.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

The Bandit

Never seen any music gear in my hunts.  Scored some great 70's vinyl and silver stereo equipment.  Biggest score was a pair of Yamaha NS670 speakers for 10 bucks.  Suckers weigh 45lbs each.

neighbor664

A 1940's Electromuse lapsteel at the Ohlone fleamarket for $10. Not a thrift store, but close enough.

taylo)))r

I found a rat pedal at a thrift store once for a dollar. That was pretty cool.
(insert interesting quote)

Jake

Got a Sound City 120 for around $100 at a flea market about 10-12 years ago.

I said "How's that thing sound?" He said "Nothing like a Marshall." in a sort of dismissive way.

I knew he was right and that it sounded closer to a Hiwatt. Flipped it a year or so later for $600 or so.
poop.

spookstrickland

Quote from: The Riffer on September 06, 2013, 08:18:05 AM
Musical gear..I've bought a few old organs. Not guts, but old Hammond tonewheels and I bought two Baldwin Tube organs. They didn't sound very good, but each yielded over 100 tubes, mostly 12ax7s. Heavy as fuck, but worht it for the tubes and HUGE iron in them...
But the most important thing I ever bought in a goodwill was a pair of old school Hutch BMX bikes. @ 35 for a pair it was probably the best deal I ever got in life..on anything.

I always see lots of old organs.  I'm going to have to look closer and see if any of them have a leslie wheel in them to scavenge.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

taylo)))r

I also bought a suitcase full of old tubes for $5. I still have it. Still have a bunch of tubes. I'll take a pic and post it. There were a lot of 12ax7s, but I used a lot of them already.
(insert interesting quote)

Chovie D

organs chopping is a pain in the fucking ass. that said my buddy made a nice 18 watt clone out of old organ parts. some of them have like over 100 of those "black beauty" caps that people pay money on ebay for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-twelve-SPRAGUE-BLACK-BEAUTY-047-400V-160P-Capacitors-/171117418484?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27d76497f4

the leslies are usually a pain in the fucking ass too. connectors for them shits is bizarre.

xayk

I got an early 70's jukebox with a tube amp at an auction for $50. I'd have bought more, but they're 400lbs unloaded. I'd also have converted it to a guitar amp by now, but it's currently functioning as a jukebox. Maybe one day.

My gf picked up a master volume, non-ultralinear Twin at a flea market for $30. She offered to let me keep it, but three Twins is probably overkill.

xayk

To be fair: she's an antique dealer. She hits markets a lot, and her dad was a guitar dealer, and I'm not an illiterate asshole, so we're in a constant state of flipping and so forth.

Having said that: $30 is UNFUCKWITHABLE, and my jaw hit the floor when she brought it home and told the story. To paraphrase Robert Frippp, 'sometimes god smiles.'  :D

Mr. Foxen

My Dad picked up a 60s Fender Bandmaster cab for £10 at an auction once. My Sansui hifi amp for 20p is probably best car boot find, not so much from the charity shop round instrument wise, hell of a lot of vinyl though.

The Riffer

Quote from: apekillman on September 06, 2013, 09:12:35 PM
hey differ, what model hutch bikes did you get?

One was a Pro Star, the other was a lower line beginner bike, I think it was called an XR1 or something. I rode the fuck out of the prostar, and then traded it for an Elf Double Cross.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Pissy

Quote from: The Riffer on September 06, 2013, 08:18:05 AM

Man, I want to get a Hutch Pro Raider just like the one I had when I was a kid.  $400 on Ebay.  I don't want one that bad.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MikeyT

Quote from: Jake on September 06, 2013, 01:36:49 PM
Got a Sound City 120 for around $100 at a flea market about 10-12 years ago.

I said "How's that thing sound?" He said "Nothing like a Marshall." in a sort of dismissive way.

I knew he was right and that it sounded closer to a Hiwatt. Flipped it a year or so later for $600 or so.

Ha, ha. I like that story.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

RacerX

Last post by MikeyT
in Re: The most awesome pie...
on Today at 12:28:56 PM

Cherry rhubarb.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.