Check these necks out!

Started by RacerX, September 05, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Dean's new "Z-Glide" necks:

http://deanzelinsky.com/pages/z-glide
Livin' The Life.

Jake

Whoa. I usually pretty traditionalist about stuff, but that looks very, very intriguing. I wonder if it's legit?
poop.

RacerX

Dunno. In my experience, the "fastest" necks I've played have had less than glossy finishes, so there may be something to it.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

So they claim. Your hand only comes into contact with 30% of the surface area.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

I DO like unfinished necks...I will have to find one of these and give it a try...but I guess that would mean going to guitar center?

RacerX

Do you have a Music-Go-Round in the area? They deal Deans.
Livin' The Life.

black aspirin

"I wasn't lookin' at his neck, man."
This Juan goes to 11.

VOLVO)))

Sounds like its going to abrade the fuck out of your hand.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 05, 2013, 05:37:13 PM

Less friction = abrasion? That's an interesting thought.
Livin' The Life.

black aspirin

Having a textured surface, although it is less surface area...doesn't mean it will result in less friction.  My flatland pegs are knurled for a reason...they grip your shoes.  Street riders, who grind rails and such, have smooth pegs with no knurling.  Even though more surface area is touching the surface they are grinding on, they still grind WAY better than knurled pegs would.

I'm not saying this neck won't be faster, but a common-sense BMX-to-guitar analogy seemed appropriate (and fun!) just to put a question mark on the idea.
This Juan goes to 11.

bbottom

I wish I could find a maple Fender jazz bass with black block inlays. Finding one for a reasonable price is damn near impossible

Chovie D

IM already such a super shredder...I dont know if it would be fair for me to get a faster neck...Steve Vai wont be able to cut heads with me anymore. :'(

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on September 05, 2013, 05:40:57 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on September 05, 2013, 05:37:13 PM

Less friction = abrasion? That's an interesting thought.

No, it looks like it will abrade your hand. It's no longer a smooth surface. Think sharp fret ends.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Unless your hand skin is reeeeeally loose, I'm betting it doesn't hit any hard edges gripping/sliding on that surface. Prolly feels kinda like a golf ball.

Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

Looks interesting for sure, but that's a lot of area for gunk to build up in.  How soon until Gibson comes out with their version?

Mr. Foxen

Since there is no strength in the gnarly bit, could just have a thinner neck and better playing technique. Just don't grip the neck so hard.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on September 05, 2013, 09:09:31 PM
Unless your hand skin is reeeeeally loose, I'm betting it doesn't hit any hard edges gripping/sliding on that surface. Prolly feels kinda like a golf ball.

That's a better picture. It's all relieved, neat...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Sounds like it would work but I agree that the gunk would build up. I like the unfinished idea better.