An open letter to venues who exploit their musicians...

Started by Dr.Zayus, August 28, 2013, 08:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogfood

There are two bars here in Dallas that come to mind that have a gig room and a separate and normal bar.  Both do well with bands and without bands.  I've never gigged at either but I'd guess that both have accurate band payout.  ie basement noise = basement pay and smooth contemporary jazz = zero money.  I bet both are good places to grow a following for any band willing to pay their dues.  Also, there is a jazz bar that has a band every night and that place is packed thur-sat.  I wish i could get on with the house band there (but I am a hack) those cats make money.  I think the jazz dude writer of the column just hasn't found his niche in town.  Perhaps he needs to be in a bigger city, or not be in a town like Nashville.  Both the jazz dude and the bar owner need to smarter buisness men.  If the bar owner needs bands to get people to come on a Saturday night he is fucked, it's a bar for god's sake.  And, Jazz boy needs to market his ass.  In Dallas if you want to make money playing guitar everyone knows you'd better be in a country band.  Otherwise, gtfo baby.  Chicken pick'n.
Problem solving whiskey!

Ombrenuit

A guy I went to school with posted this letter on his wall. He does chiptunes.

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!