Main Menu

an easy trick

Started by Chovie D, August 13, 2013, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

a little showmanship can be good sometimes right? I usually want people to be entertained and have a good time. I think thats part of my job when Im playing a bar or party. heres a really easy trick for guitarists and basssist to add a little pizzazz and visual candy to their performance. Its super easy but people react to it like your some kind of super shredder or something. it adds some fun sometimes thats all. I would recommend NOT doing this at every show tho...just once in a while.

okay, we can all pretty much play a standard blues scale solo with our eyes closed or even one handed yes?
grab a big long stretchy note, then while your stretchin it, hoist your guitar up on top of your shoulder, turn around and resume the solo.
Unless you are really brave, stay in one position on the neck solo for a while, grab a bendy note to bring the guitar back down to normal position again...then bask in the glory. :D

so easy , try it.

VOLVO)))

Easy trick thread? pedal steel on guitar tricks! I lied about the video. My phone camera blows compared to the old one : \
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Easy trick: Instead of learning to play guitar, buy loads of amps and cabs, and use them all at once at gigs.

Jake

poop.

bbottom

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on August 13, 2013, 11:34:40 AM
Easy trick: Instead of learning to play guitar, buy loads of amps and cabs, and use them all at once at gigs.

Hey don't tell everyone my secret!!

Chovie D

Quote from: Jake on August 13, 2013, 11:46:09 AM
Quote from: Chovie D on August 13, 2013, 09:46:42 AM

But that's how I play my guitar all the time.

then for you I have a different trick....once in a while while your soloing up on your sholder behind your head, grab a stretchy note and flip the guitar down and hold it over your gunt area and solo for a while there.....this will freak people the fuck oot!

RacerX

I'm a huge fan of the Steve Harris "rocking out with foot on wedge monitor" move.
Livin' The Life.

neighbor664

Here's a sneaky one.

1)Form a "band" with friends.
2)write some "songs"
3)"practice" twice a week
4)book a "gig" with a "promoter"
5) spend a few minutes every week "promoting"
6)load up all your band gear and move it to an entirely different building

Practice with free beer!

Jake

I was thinking about passing out joints before our shows since it's 1. Legal here now, and 2. Makes our music more tolerable.

Thoughts?
poop.

RacerX

Could be cool, but could also be quite expensive, depending upon how much/what quality of weed you wanna give away.
Livin' The Life.

neighbor664

Quote from: RacerX on August 13, 2013, 01:13:48 PM
Could be cool, but could also be quite expensive, depending upon how much/what quality of weed you wanna give away.

Yeah but probably not much more wasteful than spending thousands of dollars on music equipment and a lifetime of personal and financial sacrifice just to perform to a handful of friends.

RacerX

Quote from: neighbor664 on August 13, 2013, 01:21:38 PM
Quote from: RacerX on August 13, 2013, 01:13:48 PM

Yeah but probably not much more wasteful than spending thousands of dollars on music equipment and a lifetime of personal and financial sacrifice just to perform to a handful of friends.

Except that it would come ON TOP OF spending thousands of dollars on music equipment and a lifetime of personal and financial sacrifice just to perform to a handful of friends. It's also quite likely that the crowd size might increase once the word got out...
Livin' The Life.

neighbor664

Because you want all of your efforts to culminate into supporting a crowd full of weed mooches?

RacerX

Quote from: neighbor664 on August 13, 2013, 01:46:29 PM
Because you want all of your efforts to culminate into supporting a crowd full of weed mooches?

Hey, this weed giveaway wasn't my idea—I was just pointing out the expense angle. Then again, I'm not particularly bitter about having spent thousands of dollars on music equipment and a lifetime of personal and financial sacrifice just to perform to a handful of friends. I still enjoy playing just for playing's sake. I enjoy it more ON WEED, but still...
Livin' The Life.

Jake

I like to share. Both marijuana and my own brand of ear-raping cacophony.

But you wiseasses raise excellent points. Maybe there should just be a joint in each 7" or something. That might make it illegal though.
poop.

neighbor664

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on August 13, 2013, 01:57:18 PM
I like to share. Both marijuana and my own brand of ear-raping cacophony.

But you wiseasses raise excellent points. Maybe there should just be a joint in each 7" or something. That might make it illegal though.

Mebbe a joint with each T-Shirt?
Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

Between this and the band name thread, I'm starting to feel like this place just isn't for me anymore. What's next? Adding cover songs for the ladies to dance during gigs? Do's and don'ts of stage outfits? Strategic fan placement on stage for proper hair in the wind look? Tips on distressing jeans? Hair styling tips and techniques?

If you want to impress most people in a truly profound way, try coming up with a compelling artistic statement. That can certainly have components of other senses besides sound but all of this crap isn't interesting and it isn't even funny.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Chovie D

Quote from: clockwork green on August 13, 2013, 02:22:38 PM
Between this and the band name thread, I'm starting to feel like this place just isn't for me anymore. What's next? Adding cover songs for the ladies to dance during gigs? Do's and don'ts of stage outfits? Strategic fan placement on stage for proper hair in the wind look? Tips on distressing jeans? Hair styling tips and techniques?

If you want to impress most people in a truly profound way, try coming up with a compelling artistic statement. That can certainly have components of other senses besides sound but all of this crap isn't interesting and it isn't even funny.

::)

wheres your compelling artistic statement then?

what a stick in the mud . take yourself kind of seriously dont ya? :D\
jesus fucking christ man, I try and post something light and fun and I get this?

Music is supposed to be FUN, not uptight pretensious horseshit and comparing dick sizes. (unless thats your thing).

I guess a "can I use a bass amp for guiatr thread would a been  better for this place?"

fucking hell, man this place has changed, maybe IM the one who shouldnt post anymore. laterz.

RacerX

Don't be a dick. Stage presence can make a "profound artistic statement" even more exciting. I've seen the OP perform live, and it worked just like that. At least, I consider "Truckstop" to be a compelling artistic statement; you may not.

Laugh a little, ya cranky douchenozzle.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

its an old and easy trick, commonly used.

this guy never made a compelling artistic statement AND he played covers so the ladies could dance.
fuck him!

RacerX

Panderers. One should always play guitar seated, like Robert Fripp.

Simple, elegant...

AND RATHER UNEXCITING TO WATCH LIVE.
Livin' The Life.

Dr.Zayus

Quote from: Chovie D on August 13, 2013, 02:30:19 PM

wheres your compelling artistic statement then?

what a stick in the mud . take yourself kind of seriously dont ya? :D\
jesus fucking christ man, I try and post something light and fun and I get this?

Music is supposed to be FUN, not uptight pretensious horseshit and comparing dick sizes. (unless thats your thing).

I guess a "can I use a bass amp for guiatr thread would a been  better for this place?"

fucking hell, man this place has changed, maybe IM the one who shouldnt post anymore. laterz.

Hell yeah! A band could be playing the greatest music in the world, but if their just gonna stand there like a statue, I'd rather just sit in the cheaper beer comfort of my own home and listen. Chuck Berry, Angus Young, Greg Ginn, EVH, Jimi...those dudes ripped AND entertained. It ain't the fuckin symphony.

Chovie D

Thanks Zayus and Racer, im glad someone understands

VOLVO)))

THERE IS NO FUN ALLOWED.

I don't even know what to say to your statement, Josh. Perhaps you're just jaded? I'm pretty sure we beat the fuck out of every topic involving heavy music.

What do YOU want to talk about?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.