The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

I did upgrade my mandolin with one of these.

As far as a food processor I still use my old Cuisinart.

I do some stuff by hand I just can't justify a Robot Coupe.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

It's not that hard to thinly slice cabbage by hand. If you use a grater (or shredder?) you'll wind up releasing a lot of water... if that's a bad thing for your recipe.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

Not bad at, I could do it all by hand, maybe will try that first and shred-ahead for the week. I'm using a chefs knife to make sauerkraut but I'm ramping up volume. I also need to shred carrots but doing those with a grater is scary. I can use a processor anyway but keep reading discouraging reviews although Test Kitchen says cuisinart, which I'll probably get. Also a mandoline - I'm getting (attempting) into a long-term diet using sliced vegetables, one of them colon cleansing routines with a base of cabbage/carrot/celery.......to make room for more hodogs!

RAGER, thanks for the repost on that mando

RAGER

I'm just so used to doing everything by hand. Next tool I'm buying is a large capacity mortar and pestle. Can't find just the right one. I really need one for pulverizing Thai chili's and grinding shrimp and stuff. That shit always stays with my cutting boards. Besides, handling them chili's makes it difficult to handle mine or my wife's genitals. Gotta think ahead.

For lunch today I made kinda of a cross between yum khanom jeen and yum woon sen. it's probably a bit busier than it should be but I have to use up stuff I have like kaffir lime leaves a green papaya.  It's also got that fermented pork in it (naem).  Anyways.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quick fix snack, sardine over cottage cheese w/ pepper and pesto

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Something you might find at the retirement wing of the bingo parlor. But it tasted good!

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

renfield

I was about to say "says the guy who ladles nam prik pao over everything" but then I figured it out.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

You should put that on soundcloud so we all can relax to it.

Lumpy

RAGER

I rained some o that shit down on my jok.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I should do one o them YouTube vids. 10 hours of shallots frying ????
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Madras lentil over basmati baked w/neighbor-grown sweet onion, mild pepper, old german tomato, tossed on the sun dried. Needlessly doubling down on carbs - wish I had some grilled Saba to put on there! Been on my mind lately so will pick some up.

mortlock

I could sleep to that. Better than the fan i use.

RAGER

Yum curry lentils.

Killer slurpy soup last night. Totally vegan except for the ham, shrimp, and scallops in the XO sauce and the chicken stock that the wild mushrooms were simmered in.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Plate of garden fresh heirloom slicers for lunch with feta and Urfa biber.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Lumpy

Do we get to pick? I'll pick the yum woon sen, or something from the last page.

Muffin Man

Salads are good for you...but I don't think I've ever had an heirloom tomato I really actually enjoyed. I had a few from a local garden recently and it was same as ever, disappointing. Seems like a novelty, so far.

renfield

Heirloom is like, the opposite of novelty

Muffin Man

Aha! Been reading the thesaurus...fun with words.

Inspired by RAGER,

Garden Tomato Gorgonzola Crumble w/Aged Balsamic & Pickled Herring.
:D

renfield

I always think your dishes are in nonstick pans at first