Main Menu

Orange AD30HTC

Started by hayseed, January 19, 2013, 07:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

Today I found a decent deal on  an Orange AD30HTC. I obviously plan on playing it before i buy it but I am kind of a noobie on Orange gear. I have only owned a Tiny Terror(years ago). The price is right on this guy for sure. I am also kinda digging their TH30 head (by video demos only as I have never seen one). They can be had fairly cheap and yes I know they are made in China, but so is nearly every component in every amp!

I am really searching for some opinions on the AD30 from you guys that may have used them/own them. What do you like, what do you hate about them? Do they sound good through a 2x12 or a 4x12? Are they loud enough at 30 watts for gigs? Do they offend your relatives? Are they used by terrorists? You know, that kinda stuff. At this time I will be using it through a Marshall 1960TV cab btw.

I'm usually a Marshall guy. Just sold my JCM800 2204 to a friend because, as much as wanted it to, it just didn't do it for me! Cool amp, but it never really grabbed me by the balls. After playing many other Marshalls for years, I think that it is time for a change. So give me some feedback. (BTW- I plan to pick up another LAney AOR100 Series 1, 8 knob ,this week. I have been missing my first one since I traded it for an SG. Time to get another)

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback on the Orange.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Mr. Foxen

An AOR 100 with a decent service will stamp all over the Orange in every way.

hayseed

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 19, 2013, 09:18:55 PM
An AOR 100 with a decent service will stamp all over the Orange in every way.
That's a given !
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Baltar

^^^Totally.  Don't buy a Chinese amp.  Think outside the box.  I paid $200 for my Bogen Challenger CHB-50.  50 Watts A/B 7868 tubes and point to point.  I just saw a CHB-100 near Niagara Falls for $200.  These amps are really close to Bassman's or can be converted to Plexi's very easily.

Ha! Still for sale!  100 Watts p2p for $200!!!!

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/3463300360.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bogen-Challenger-CHB-100-Tube-Amp-12AX7-6EU7-6C4-4-7868-Output-TubesTested-/251216154688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7da65040

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Jake

Just checking in to see how fast this thread would go from zero to flame without any useful information tendered to the original post.

So far, so good. Carry on.
poop.

Instant Dan

Can't really help you with the AD30 but I heard the Rocker 30 in person, I liked it.

everdrone

I dig my orange thunderverb 50, but it is prolly a lot louder than OPs amp in question.  I pair it with my 212PPC which works just fine, but since I cant fit a 412 in my corolla once I save up, I am considering getting another 212PPC for looks and maybe to pressurize the stage.  a 412 cab looks pretty cool. 

with the ad30, I have been told it depends whether your drummer hits hard, and if you downtune; then that amp is not gonna cut it volume wise and will not have enough low end or power for that.  you may want to try asking the orange forum:  http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=beff38f3c5e7a5fed10e45eb6b7bdfde

everdrone

hayseed

[/quote]
Quote from: everdrone on January 20, 2013, 03:28:49 PM
nevermind, I see you made a thread at that forum: http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49225
Yeah I figured that I would try both avenues for advice.

Quote from: Jake on January 20, 2013, 01:42:12 PM
Just checking in to see how fast this thread would go from zero to flame without any useful information tendered to the original post.

So far, so good. Carry on.
Clearly this may have been the wrong house to ask info on Orange amps! LOL!

Submarine

I don't know about the AD30 but the TH30 was bit lacking in the top end and the eq is a bit limited.  You would have to get some external equalization going on for certain situations.  Even with that little issue, I generally like the amp quite a bit and the overdrive was fantastic.

Ombrenuit

I use an 18w and it's loud enough with a 4x12 for gigs. 30w is about 12% louder, so that's no problem. That said you won't be pushing huge wall of fuzz tones.

Pissy

I have never played one, but I've heard plenty. Some sound good, some remind me of my dog. No balls.
Vinyls.   deal.