Main Menu

Dubstep...

Started by VOLVO))), February 05, 2011, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I've always been on the quest for heavy music. Doom and sludge do it for me, and always will... BUT, some of the dubstep shit out there is so fucking heavy and trance inducing, it's not even funny. I'm thinkin' about doing an idea I had a year or two ago, triggering the fuck out of my drums so they have club-like sounds and finding a bass player to play low-end-heavy fuzzed out basslines, and do a live-like dubstep band. I think it would be incredible. Nothing like some serious groove and lots of ball rattling lows. Any of you guys into this, at all?

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

ROWDYBEER

I don't know if it's my thing. Makes me feel like I'm on drugs again.
It was however very cool to watch how a song like that is produced/made. I would have guessed drums and guitar and so on would be well synthed or something. Not live in the studio. Pretty cool. But then again I'm not into a lot of the ambient doom stuff. My mind is too fragile.

clockwork green

Different strokes I guess. I've yet to hear a dubstep song that I'm willing to finish let alone enjoy. I like traditional Indian music and even some stuff non-traditional modern things like Tabla Beat Science. I especially don't like the reggae themed dubstep but I'm also the only white, non-republican that hates reggae. Musically it bores and emotionally it does absolutely nothing for me.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

spookstrickland

I have always thought a Dub approach to stoner rock would be cool.  I'd sure like to hear some one give it a go.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

liquidsmoke

Wow that woman is beautiful!

I saw some videos of a live drum n bass drummer a few years back, amazing stuff. He had synths and samples sequenced up to go with his drums. I'm sure some full bands have done drum n bass live so I don't see why dub step wouldn't be possible as well. I work with a lot of early 20s people and I often overhear them talking about dubstep djs and what not, I had to search on youtube to figure out what it was, some of it sounded pretty good.

peyotepeddler

to many labels, what the hell is dubstep?

is it like metalcore? crabcore?

i stick with the old school

johnny problem

That would be an awesome project.  Godflesh did some interesting stuff with dub.

VOLVO)))

That was what got me half-ass interested in something other than metal, was Love and Hate (In Dub.) It's such a heavy album. I was just happy to hear something refreshing to my ears. So, I poked around and realized that dubstep is a fairly new type-movement. I love the low end of it. It's kickass background music. I catch myself nodding my head to it, often.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Puts hand up.

Huge dub / dubstep fan. I played in a dub band too, I'm the guy who only puts his subs on half the time he is listening to music, if you weren't in FL dude.

Mind you I have a nephew in FL who plays bass!

VOLVO)))

hahahahaha. I argued with a kid about it "all being the same." He listens to generic radio rock. Fail.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

That chick is smokin hot, but damn dude that tune sucked ass. Cliche as fuck with the indian singing and tabla stuff. Boring drums, and the drummer looked bored playing 'em. Couldn't stand the guy getting all head bobby while playing a little machine with knobs. It's just kinda funny to me.

Trust me, I like electronic sounds when they're cool and interesting, love analog synths and have been doing stuff with ethnic sounds for many years. Can't get enough bone jarring bass either. I've actually been messing with super bassy fuzz stuff mixed with some ethnic instruments on a few tracks of my rpm project. I don't have a sub, but I'm getting a nice rattle out of my monitors.
CV - Slender Fungus

VOLVO)))

That album changed my life.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

EaterofBirds

Be sure to check out Sun Araw. His material is dub/psych. Very good stuff and his last full length is amazing

I dont care for the Godflesh dub era so much

Hemisaurus

Hey Sunn, if you want a laugh check out Bong-Ra's GrindKrusher EP which uses all Bolt Thrower samples. I love that.

eyeprod

I saw that Sun Araw guy play once. Pretty good with a loop pedal, but not very dubby or psych at the time. Kinda hand clappy, ethni-hippy with some guitar was what I saw
CV - Slender Fungus

El Zombre

This dude is local to me. Saw him when he opened for That One Guy :

http://soundcloud.com/seek-selekta

was pretty cool. Live drummer mixing it up goes a long way towards making samples based music palatable to me.

Mike_Sims

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 05, 2011, 07:19:01 PM
I've always been on the quest for heavy music. Doom and sludge do it for me, and always will... BUT, some of the dubstep shit out there is so fucking heavy and trance inducing, it's not even funny. I'm thinkin' about doing an idea I had a year or two ago, triggering the fuck out of my drums so they have club-like sounds and finding a bass player to play low-end-heavy fuzzed out basslines, and do a live-like dubstep band. I think it would be incredible. Nothing like some serious groove and lots of ball rattling lows. Any of you guys into this, at all?

Definitely digging the dark atmosphere of this. I dig it.

EaterofBirds

blaffman

fuck yes.

like, i've been into the doom/heavy music shit for a long ass time.. cause of the heavy.  and let me tell you, this electro dubstep shit does it.  rattle your fucking soulless heart and shit.

theres a lot of potential in this i think, but i don't know anything about music or whatever mixing or dj'ing or any of that shit to do anything about it.  bring the doomclaw to it ! clawstep and shit.

like, druids spinning grimey tribal, with the fog of the dagobah system rollin with the bass.  but im a homo.

uh, max ulis is really good.  soundcloud.com is a great website for this kinda shit.  upload/download/follow/favourite.

heres some taal mala .. not really doomy persay.  but who knows.  i like whats happening.

http://soundcloud.com/taal-mala/taal-mala-eyes-on-you-feat-ras-irie

uh. thanks for the links for that other stuff in here.

VOLVO)))

alright, this is fucking rad. Don't care what eyeprod thinks, hahahhaa

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

yeezuz

Quote from: Mike_Sims on February 14, 2011, 11:44:00 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on February 05, 2011, 07:19:01 PM

Definitely digging the dark atmosphere of this. I dig it.
their latest creation it seems
http://soundcloud.com/engineearz/they-live-engine-earz

Bassnectar is my dub step buddy
http://soundcloud.com/earcande/bassnectar-bbc-mixtape-2010

more live band recommendations would taste delicious i am sure. feed me ;p

VOLVO)))

Welcome!

I'm just trying to broaden my horizons, haha. I've been scouring, there's actually quite a few of these guys who do this shit live. Not quite like I want to hear, but it's still pretty rad...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

DustinAR

I definitely respect this stuff because producing electronic music is a lot harder than you might think. I've tried my hand in it out of sheer boredom during a period of having no other musicians to jam with. I don't sit around and listen to dubstep really, but there a few artists that are in that realm I do dig on. Vex'd, Flying Lotus, and Skream! to name a few.

It does seem like everyone is aping this stuff right now though, kinda weird.

LogicalFrank

We are toying w/ some dubstep like textures in Sun Splitter... Or will be as I haven't really broken out the new groovebox w/ the band yet.  We have always added basslines and synths through the drum machine but the Boss DR-5 was fairly limited as far as synth sounds. I got myself a Korg Electribe which has an analog synth emulator on it and can do those wobbly bass lines. It will be good times.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."