What say you.....my stonerrock brethren? (Tone Junkie Edition)

Started by core9, January 02, 2013, 11:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

core9

After much delay we are finally releasing our 2nd album.  Give me some feedback, let me know what you guys think.
I also posted this in Gen Disc, but this is a different crew.......

Thanks for your valuable time, buds.

spookstrickland

I really dug the first one.  Sounded good, right balance of everything.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

giantchris

Mix sounds good on both speakers and headphones here.  Everything is clearly audible and definitely solid tones. 

tossom

"Beige rock"

everdrone

its really awesome! I like the slow doomy musicianship.  It would be a fun song to riff out on, very hypnotic and Sleep induced.  I like the harmonies in singing, alice in chains like.

as constructive criticism, it is a great demo, I feel the guitars are too compressed with not enough dynamics, and the bass is drowned out, and the low end kick is not there so much. 

Cursed71

Finally got to play this on some big speakers.  Sounds really good to my ears, nothing weird or out of place.  Can't imagine it sounding much heavier.Did you guys do a master for vinyl?

RacerX

Solid effort, good tunes. The breakdown in "Spider" & the pick scratch intro to "Goodbye" were high points for me. Guitars, drums & vox all sound good to me. I agree & disagree about the bass guitar level—yes, it's a bit obscured, but it's also hard to have the guitars tuned that low and still leave enough room for it stand out.

Livin' The Life.

everdrone

Quote from: RacerX on January 04, 2013, 07:40:56 PM
Solid effort, good tunes. The breakdown in "Spider" & the pick scratch intro to "Goodbye" were high points for me. Guitars, drums & vox all sound good to me. I agree & disagree about the bass guitar level—yes, it's a bit obscured, but it's also hard to have the guitars tuned that low and still leave enough room for it stand out.

I listen to the band DOWN a ton, the bass sounds huge on that downtuning

RacerX

Quote from: everdrone on January 07, 2013, 11:39:40 AM
Quote from: RacerX on January 04, 2013, 07:40:56 PM

I listen to the band DOWN a ton, the bass sounds huge on that downtuning

I didn't say it couldn't be done; I said it's hard to do. Big difference.
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

cool brutha, I think the important thing is that we agree the OP has some awesome heavy fuzzed out riffage! :)

dunwichamps

everdrone

my name is Ron as well, and I downtune to c# on all 50+ of my recordings.  :o :o :o >:( ;D

I recommend subtractive EQing and hard highpassing all the guitars, then subtractive EQing the bassguitar to combine with the guitars more.  I use voxango glissEQ,

here is my fav video on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNYBbPAvKE&feature=player_embedded

dunwichamps

Quote from: everdrone on January 07, 2013, 02:21:28 PM
my name is Ron as well, and I downtune to c# on all 50+ of my recordings.  :o :o :o >:( ;D

ahh sorry. I should have said core9. I tune to C Stan on my LP.

core9

That Youtube clip's sound was from a rushed promo run we did for SHoD.  I have since added a decent amount of low frequency to the mix, bringing out more thickness in the bass drum and bass guitar. 

I kinda like to mix the guitar and bass to create one HUGE sound, but still provide the bass just enough room to have its own spot. I appreciate all you guys feedback.

When it's up on Bandcamp, I will provide the link and you can grab it for yourself.

Andrew Blakk

Hey sounds good indeed! Spiders stole the weed - fantastic title!!!  ;D