Main Menu

if i was malekko

Started by jibberish, December 29, 2012, 02:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

I would put 4, 1/8" jacks for expression pedals into that thing. I would then sell 2-axis expression pedals.

these pedals would function like if you stuck a wah onto another wah at 90 degrees, then put a spring in the lower wah andmount it so when you sort of step on the whole upper wah, it depresses the lower and the spring raises it as you let off the overall pressure. the upper would work as normal.
sitting down, you could run all 4 channels of expression.

that delay has some killer control when those micro knobs get used with the main ones. it would be nice to be able to select combos of knobs to tweak while playing.

and why hasn't someone come up with a 2 axis wah, you could have wah and flange depth or echo rate or who knows if you use it to control some other effect parameter, like tilt the pedal sideways a hair for the 2nd setting. multiple single pedals are also cool though if you want to set and forget certain parameters during certain song parts.

moose23

There's a few two axis expression pedals around. Fender tone/volume being one such example. Using them is probably as confusing as reading your post though..  ;)

mutantcolors

My buddy has been employing a Zoom multiaxis expression pedal for years now, with some totally insane results. It's all panned in stereo which rapes your brain when he does it live.

All the inexplicable transition guitar noises (except the synth intro) in this song are from him/that set up.

jibberish

Quote from: mutantcolors on December 29, 2012, 02:01:24 PM
My buddy has been employing a Zoom multiaxis expression pedal for years now, with some totally insane results. It's all panned in stereo which rapes your brain when he does it live.

All the inexplicable transition guitar noises (except the synth intro) in this song are from him/that set up.

that's pretty cool.   

I knew if I thought of something 10 other people already have too heh.

justinhedrick

Quote from: mutantcolors on December 29, 2012, 02:01:24 PM

sorry to highjack, but do you know the model of this? I am very intrigued.

mutantcolors

jibberish

ok, so has anyone made a 3-axis pedal? 6 expressions would be sick. put that dual pedal on the spring loaded thing I was talking about

dual output guitar->send each pickup to different dedicated effects chain.

now there are 6 potential channels of sound.  each dry pickup/mic'd amp or w/e before main effects chain sound, and each stereo pair from the effects chain.
3rd axis could even just be effects overall volume. then you could still alter 1 effect and stereo pan with each foot and mix the 2 in and out

if I mic'd each pickup channel's amp AND ran the signal to the recorder dry also, that would be 4 inputs, plus the 2 stereo effects pairs=8 inputs from one guitar.  those pedals could be the slay factor with that setup

just blending in a little sub harmonic synth on one channel would rule. control the overall volume from the pickup volume on the guitar

edit: I am sort of brewing up exactly this: 2 mixers, 2 sets of effects, 2 amps, 2 mics, rewired the guitar dual output, plenty of "PA" channels for the stereo effects, 8 channels of record.   I want that malekko, but I want realtime control of it.

I have been meditating how to use joysticks for mixer sliders for surround mixing live to a discrete 4 channel or more system.  long ago, when I saw a 4 buss mixer and understood what that meant, I thought about mixing like a quad 8 track mix, but live.   this dual stereo thing could be a way to fake it with volumes and panning and 4 speakers in a large square around the listening area, or even 2 widths of main facing stereo speakers for the cool pans

mutantcolors

Right pedal swivels left/right as well as up/down with each direction being a programmable effect.

fallen

This thread is probably going to end up costing me $400.

Right now a bunch of my board is taken up with cry baby size pedals I use for wah and to control my echo when really I should be using one multi-pedal to control it all.

Off the shelf I could get a Mission or Pigtronix dual expression pedal or better yet build something DIY with a dual pot. There's probably still room in there for all the wah guts.

I only use one foot so it's kind of useless having two separate treadle style pedals when one could control everything.

I,Galactus

Quote from: fallen on January 02, 2013, 06:11:46 PMThis thread is probably going to end up costing me $400.

Here's this thing:

http://dbinstrumentamp.com/drupal/content/m440se-stereo-expression-pedal-old-dog

Preorder for $270.  I'll accept the extra $130 as a finder's fee via paypal.   8)
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

I,Galactus

also @ jibbs

Quote from: jibberish on December 29, 2012, 02:41:20 AM
I would put 4, 1/8" jacks for expression pedals into that thing. I would then sell 2-axis expression pedals.

What thing we talkin 'bout?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

I think he was talking about the malekko 616 i just got.  it has these micro pots on top that would be nice to be able to adjust in real time.  it would alleviate needing 2 or 3 delay pedals on your board for desired effects.
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on January 03, 2013, 11:11:11 AM
I think he was talking about the malekko 616 i just got.  it has these micro pots on top that would be nice to be able to adjust in real time.  it would alleviate needing 2 or 3 delay pedals on your board for desired effects.

Applauded for de-jibberificaition.

RAGER

he should run all his posts through a mod first to get cleaned up.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Baltar

You can pull most pots off the pcb and run wires to an old wah.  I did to my DMM back in '00.  You could also put in a different pot as long as the resistance is the same.

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

jibberish

heh, I did forget to put the topic clearly. that little delay pedal makes some killer sounds.

I have been cooking this vision of a performance stage that is set up like a surround system.
there would be a sweet spot which I call the "circle of death" which the listeners would have to be within to really get the full effect of the sound being all around them.
there would be a 4-buss quad mixer that can be used in realtime to send any channel anywhere around the room. that's why I keep envisioning like joysticks for 360 degree concrete surround control. and it absolutely has to be min 4-buss.
Also,could put some automated tricks in like pan "L or R/full circle/x seconds" so you could send your sound around at the tap of a momentary contact switch independently of the live mix person. 

Then I would debut my trance band: The Psych Odelic Trance Band.  (you know "The POT Band" for short)
I would then rip peoples brains out of their heads with my twin malekkos/6 axes of live control and no fear of digital effects live.  slay them, then resurrect them to slay them again.

and so forth and so on..pip pip

BING BING BING PAGING SUNNO! BING BING BING

jibberish

could you imagine what you could do with cleverly surround mixed drums? the person live mixing would be as skilled as the drummer and together they could really beat up the crowd. shit coming at you from everywhere.   

pink Floyd on the quad 8-track really did fuck me up for life back in w/e '78

I was able to send reaper tracks out of 4 channels at once from my soundcard. I did a crude mockup by duping a track4x, then assigning one track to each of the 4 speakers. if you sort of sin-wave the sliders up and down you can send that sound around the 4 speakers using the 4 mono volumes of the same track