need help identifying my Orange amp

Started by q264, December 28, 2012, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

q264

I managed to pay off this badboy the other day and noticed that the store had labelled it as an OR120, but I think it's an ORS100 or a GRO100 judging by the Orange Amp Field Guide. The model number and serial number don't look like they've been scratched off or painted over, almost like none was ever put on. Any thoughts? I'm also kind of skeptical of the tech from the store who worked on it when a fuse blew/power light wouldn't turn on after 45 minutes of playing. Is this like any other regular vintage amp or should I look around town for an old British guy who knows his electronics?

Thanks!

moose23

Looks like a pics only OR120 to me. The one here has the same transformers on their side:

http://www.orangefieldguide.com/OFG_OR120HV.htm

Neither of the ORS100 or a GRO100 have the transformers on their side so not sure where you're getting the idea it's either of those.

q264

Quote from: moose23 on December 28, 2012, 03:00:54 PMnot sure where you're getting the idea it's either of those.

The OR120s seem to have a white Orange logo on the top right of the faceplate, whereas the ORS100 and GRO100 have a blackened one like mine.  Good point about the transformers though, I had not noticed that difference.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

Quote from: q264 on December 28, 2012, 04:47:01 PM
Quote from: moose23 on December 28, 2012, 03:00:54 PMnot sure where you're getting the idea it's either of those.

The OR120s seem to have a white Orange logo on the top right of the faceplate, whereas the ORS100 and GRO100 have a blackened one like mine.  Good point about the transformers though, I had not noticed that difference.

Good few of the OR120s have black logos. They do seem to be rarer than the white though so your amp is a bit special but still still a pics OR120.

Mr. Foxen

Think that logo puts it 72-74, is it on a plexi panel?

q264

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on December 28, 2012, 06:21:37 PMThink that logo puts it 72-74, is it on a plexi panel?

Yeah they dated it as 1972 but told me straight up they weren't entirely sure which year or which model. There's a translucent layer of plexiglass overtop of the faceplate itself, which I'm pretty sure is made of plexi too. Some dude on the Orange forum thinks its a GRO100, but I'm inclined to believe you castoffs of stonerrock.com

moose23

All the pics only OR120s are 72-74 it's in that link I posted to the field guide. Ask the guy on Orange forum has he seen any GRO100s with the transformers on their side? If he has get an example so we can compare them.

tossom

Tangent - McCormacks music went bust in 2011, a damn shame as it had been around since the 40s and was a cool shop.  Nice amp find.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/end-of-an-era-as-music-store-is-silenced.14096280
"Beige rock"

apekillman

What powers that fan?  What is it hooked up to for power?