Started by RacerX, December 19, 2012, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

Weird, is it only ported on one side? Gotta love kooky old cabs. Reminds me a bit of the Traynor 8x10 one of my bandmates in Cold Mourning has. It looks like a sealed 6x10, with two drivers offset in the middle. I always imagine someone upstairs said design a new cab to go with a new amp and the shop just grabbed whatever box and odd number of speakers were laying around, shrugged and said "let's see what this sounds like".

The Shocker

That looks kinda homebrew to me. Wonder how it sounds.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

FullCustom

RacerX

There's so little lumber left on the speaker mounting surface that I can envision this cab imploding from the vibrations.
Livin' The Life.

The Bandit

Mr. Foxen

I heard they sound better if you plug up the ports.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

Didn't Traynor make an 8x11 or something crazy like that.

There must have been one guitar trade show in the 70s where everyone decided that more speakers are always better.

Metal and Beer

Ol' girl from Jucifer has two (or four?) of those V9 caybes, she explained the ohms breakdown to me but I fergitted
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

jibberish

3X3 parallel-series keeps the ohms about the same as the speakers if all 9 are the same.   parallel a 12ohm and 24ohm for the exact number on an 8ohm setup for example and you get:  (12 x 24)/(12+24) = 288/36=8

(for you slower people, the 12 ohms comes from 2 series strings of 3x8 ohms =24ohms, in parallel=12ohms. Then I parallel the third 24ohm series string to that, and then I have to do math vs just knowing lol).  

edit: looking forward to foxxen explaining why this is wrong lol

jibberish

actually , the 3x3 is a nice non-confusing setup.

"wuts da ohms hommes?"
"ahhh dunno bro, wut's it loaded with?"
"sixteens"
" well there ya go.."

edit: mini epiphany here. I am really PO'd at myself that in all these fucking years I only considered speakers in a binary sense, ie 1,2,4,8, etc to go along with the ohms or stereo/quad.  everything multiples of 2.   

kudos to those who have thought further outside the box than I.

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on December 19, 2012, 03:24:56 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on December 19, 2012, 03:27:06 PM
Almost certainly. Baby ass wattage.
How do you mean? Less watts = less ports recommended?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

I,Galactus

Quote from: Metal and Beer on December 19, 2012, 06:56:10 PM
Ol' girl from Jucifer has two (or four?) of those V9 caybes, she explained the ohms breakdown to me but I fergitted

† WHITE WALL OF DOOM †

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on December 20, 2012, 06:35:43 AM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on December 19, 2012, 03:24:56 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on December 19, 2012, 03:27:06 PM
Almost certainly. Baby ass wattage.
How do you mean? Less watts = less ports recommended?

Ports increase power handling at the tuning frequency, but it drops off more rapidly afterward as you get lower. OK if you have some headroom in the speakers, but the greater control of a sealed cab is preferable for speakers that can't handle much power, trade of is less low end, but the speakers can't do low end anyway.

Pissy

Quote from: I,Galactus on December 20, 2012, 09:43:40 AM
Quote from: Metal and Beer on December 19, 2012, 06:56:10 PM

† WHITE WALL OF DOOM †

Whenever I saw them, many of those speakers were blown.
Vinyls.   deal.

Ayek

Quote from: jibberish on December 20, 2012, 12:53:42 AM
3X3 parallel-series keeps the ohms about the same as the speakers if all 9 are the same.   parallel a 12ohm and 24ohm for the exact number on an 8ohm setup for example and you get:  (12 x 24)/(12+24) = 288/36=8

(for you slower people, the 12 ohms comes from 2 series strings of 3x8 ohms =24ohms, in parallel=12ohms. Then I parallel the third 24ohm series string to that, and then I have to do math vs just knowing lol).  

edit: looking forward to foxxen explaining why this is wrong lol

It works, but it looks uncomfortable.
I find the standard formula for adding parallel resistances, or impedances, easier
1/z1 + 1/z2 + 1/z3 = 1/zTotal, z being impedance
1/24 + 1/24 + 1/24 = 1/8

Of course these always more than one way to shag a cat, though it's often easier to lift the tail.

jibberish

I combines the 1st 2 z's into 12ohms and used the 2 parallel resistor equation
here is quote from wiki. I used the 2 resistor equation r1r2/r1+r2 vs the multiple one
also, you get away REALLY easy when all 3 are the same. run that calc with 3 oddball values and you will see that the math sucks commoning your denominators.  but yes, I will do the big equation from now on too when all parallel values are equal. I always like adding more than crazy division. so I try to get them all to the 2 resistor model because that math is easier than adding 3 oddball fractions.

Electrical conductance presents a reciprocal quantity to resistance. Total conductance of a series circuits of pure resistors, therefore, can be calculated from the following expression:
\frac{1}{G_\mathrm{total}} = \frac{1}{G_1} + \frac{1}{G_2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{G_n}.
For a special case of two resistors in series, the total conductance is equal to:
G_{total} = \frac{G_1 G_2}{G_1+G_2}.