Mahogany guitar with or without maple top?

Started by franksnbeans, December 14, 2012, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franksnbeans

I would appreciate your expert opinions.  Which is better and why?

The Shocker

I'm sure somebody will disagree with me, but does it make that much of a difference?  Sounds like corksniffer shit to me.

franksnbeans

Haha!  Yeah, I guess it's a little guitar snobby.  Plus it costs more.

The Shocker

I think the amp and pickups (and pedals) make a lot more difference.

jibberish

Baltar

Maple does give a brighter tone.  My buddy, who has played for 30 years, won't pick up a Paul w/o a 3/4 maple top on it.  I've been really enjoying my Tele Special it's my 2nd maple neck and I have a tendency to grab it before my Eastwood SG.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Drama

Maple Top for sure brightens it up some. I could record you a direct comparison Sunday if you like, I have Maple topped Les Paul's and all Mahogany. I've got a couple that have the same Suhr Aldrich pickups.

neighbor664

MikeyT

I haven't had a "real" Les Paul for several years,and don't know if I'll ever be able to afford one again, but my experiences have taught me that different woods definitely sound different.
A maple top really adds to the tone of a Les Paul, imo. Makes it brighter in a very good way.

This is my idea of a great Les Paul sound:

Les Paul Custom... Mahogany body, Maple top, Ebony fretboard.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

clockwork green

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Instant Dan

Those Black Beauty's (all mahogany me-thinks) give a cool/unique sound I always thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7ddGl0fKgU

To me, the sound of a LP standard with a maple top has really been the sound for me with LP's. Always sounded warmer.

clockwork green

It's already happened and it plays and sounds great. 

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

franksnbeans

You mean those Electric Guitar Company guitars?  I know someone who's got one of those.  When I played it, I didn't like the way it felt.   The neck was like a toothpick.  I wasn't too impressed by the sound either.

clockwork green

You're right...I'll melt mine down to hide the shame.