Light string users? .009-.042

Started by Baltar, December 11, 2012, 03:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

I switched to D'Addario .009-.042 and I like 'em better for solos. Who else here uses 9's?  I have .010-.052 Ernie's on my Eastwood SG.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

chille01

The other guitarist in my band tried this a few weeks ago, again because he does the majority of the soloing.  There was an instant change in his tone too though, especially when playing rhythm.  It was like someone castrated his rig.  I was amazed that lighter strings made that much of a difference, but he didn't really change anything else.  He's back on light top, heavy bottom sets now.

clockwork green

I think that often has more to do with the interactions between you pickups and different materials and construction techniques in different strings. I be gone to some heavier gauged strings and ended up with an overall brighter tone and I've had some small strings sound deep and rich. Then I've used the same trusted strings on one guitar for another with different pickups and had my sound fall apart again.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

everdrone

I play .08 packs for everything and downtune to c# like Iommi.  I have been doing this for years and it is that way on all my recordings. I use lightest strings for bass too.

Jor el

D'Addario 9's on my Chaparral and N2.
D'Addario 10's on my Legacy and BluesBoy.
What Would Scooby Do ?

liquidsmoke

I use very light strings for standard E because they are easier to play leads with. For B I use the thickest strings my fretting hand can handle because I hate fret buzz. Part of the problem is my guitars aren't set up as well as they could be and I have to have the action higher than I would like. Overall I think thick strings sound heavier but a bit of flop has it's own neat tone.

jibberish

ya I use super slinkies. mostly because I am used to them and also I don't know any better.
best buy had buy2 get 1 free, so I just grabbed 3 more sets. probly hit them again before xmas sales are over

AgentofOblivion

Ever since I broke my finger I've used nothing but 9's.  I use standard tuning with the occasional drop D however.  I would switch to .10's if I tuned down 1/2 or whole step.  Even bigger for more.  But I've found that after you get to 12's or 13's (with GHS anyway) they start giving you a wound G string.  Nothing chaps my ass like a wound G string.  (giggity).

Baltar

I used to use the Zakk Wylde GHS 11-60's when I tuned down to C.  I don't think they make 'em anymore.  They wore a valley in my ring finger.

moose23

Quote from: Baltar on December 12, 2012, 03:32:27 PM
I used to use the Zakk Wylde GHS 11-60's when I tuned down to C.  I don't think they make 'em anymore.  They wore a valley in my ring finger.

Zakk Wylde is with Dunlop now so it's heavy core strings from them. I use the 11-50  from that range for C#. Favourite strings by far now.

Drama

Elixir 11-49's on my E Standard and D Standard guitars, D'addario 12-60 for the C Standard guitars.

Baltar

Instant Dan

Ernieball's TNT on anything from E standard to E flat. 11-54's on D standard and C#. 12-56's for C standard.

I bought some of the Dunlop Heavycores 11-50 but still haven't put them on my SG yet.

mawso

I like .009-.042s on my 25.5" scale guitars, standard tuning.  on a Gibson scale I like .010s

a long time ago now, I tried .008s and they sounded good but just didn't feel right.  tried heavier too, but i don't really like the tighter sound.  I guess I'm just not SRV, or that boring guy from the chilli peppers.

Andrew Blakk

Hey me too. At least at home for practice. Made wonders for my sloppy solos acctually. I've been playing on thickies for quite some time now and I guess you devolope a bit of a different technique then. So I changed to 009s and started to play regular again.

I think I'm heading for lighter things on the down-tuned guitars as well.
These are better days.....lalalalalalal..... :)

mutantcolors

The longer I play the bigger my gear gets, strings and picks most notably. I just grab Beefy Slinkies off the shelf now. That plain 0.22 is magic for open string work.

I'm torn between big stubby 3's and little stubby 2's right now, and jazz 3's and some other tortex thingy that's like 1.5mm.

MikeyT

I've got some tendon/hand injury issues... I like D'Addarios for tone (not saying they're the only good ones). I prefer .009 -.040, but usually settle for .009 -.042.
I'm switching some guitars over to DR Pure Blues (same gauges), they're really easy on the hand & wrist, especially when it comes to bending, which I do a lot of.

.010's or .011's for Electric Slide.

.008's are good when you want that wild 'trashy' sound for certain types of Rock and Metal.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

clockwork green

This last week I've had my Steinberger tuned with 9-42's to A (octave down)-ADGE (everything else in standard). I think this is roughly the Melvins Boris tuning but I'm not sure. Either way it sounds great and is a hell of a lot of fun.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"