using mega watt tube amps for guitar (SVT, Bassman 300, Classic 400, etc)

Started by liquidsmoke, November 21, 2012, 12:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose23

You should have a read up on Greg Ginns gear in Black Flag. Your best option could be to get high powered PA power amp rather than paying out the nose for high powered guitar gear. That's if you are determined to go that route....

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on December 06, 2012, 06:02:34 AM
You should have a read up on Greg Ginns gear in Black Flag. Your best option could be to get high powered PA power amp rather than paying out the nose for high powered guitar gear. That's if you are determined to go that route....

Leaning towards a Carvin power amp at the moment. USA made super light class D power for a good price. It's the preamp I'm unsure about. I don't want an expensive super complicated one with menus and what not but I do need one with a good clean channel for pedals.

Someone on another forum suggested that I try a bass amp although I tend to read that their preamps are voiced for bass and don't sound right for guitar but I've never played one with a guitar into guitar speakers before. Could be worth a try.

liquidsmoke

With the 10 band EQ on a head like this you'd think a reasonable guitar tone might be possible to set up at least to accept pedals.

Or there is the SVT-350 for 350 watts into 4 ohms instead of 450. I've seen these on Craigslist for fairly cheap.

liquidsmoke

fallen

Plug that pedal into the effects loop return and the pre doesn't matter.

Separate pre amp and power amp for guitar was super popular for a while but went out of style in the 90s so lots of used cool guitar power amps to be found. Tube and MOSFET.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: fallen on December 06, 2012, 09:09:34 PM
Plug that pedal into the effects loop return and the pre doesn't matter.

Not loud enough. You should have a line level signal for power amps and effects loop returns(same thing). Turning up your dirt pedal and an EQ helps but the tone suffers.

I think I've got the perfect solution- Dirt pedal(and my other pedals of course) > Ampeg SS 150(as a preamp) > rear input of a small and light Ampeg PF head.

If one amp fails at a gig I just plug into the other one to finish the set. The little PF sits atop the SS150.

The only question is 350 or 500 watts. My cabs are rated at 600 watts RMS. Will replace the no name slant 4x12 with a Stagecraft diagonal 2x12 with 150 watt Swamp Thangs so the two cabs will still total 600 watt RMS.

It's all coming together now. Thank you all for tolerating my out loud thinking and giving me suggestions.

liquidsmoke

Fender Rumble 350 watt class D head just bought on the bay for cheap new to use as a power amp. Not as common as the Ampegs but seemingly more reliable and less likely to mysteriously stop working. Will report back on it's slaying capabilities in conjunction with my SS150 and TightMetal. Should crack the beams Manowar/High On Fire style. Second Stagecraft 2x12 with Swamps coming as soon as I can sell enough shit to pay for it. Getting used to adding more mids in the meantime.

liquidsmoke

Yes but with moar poooowwweer I can keep the mid adding to a calculated bare minimum.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

liquidsmoke

Distortion pedal > SS bass head > guitar speakers. A lot more volume and headroom than I've ever had. The tone is similar to my guitar heads but more beefy if you want it to be. I sound like I work for Fender but the Rumble 350 is a ton of power for the money for guitar.

Lumpy

I love a Happy Ending.

Also, it's good to see that your question was resolved, too. ;)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

I'm a happy lad. Saving up for another 2x12 with Swamps to match the one I already have. Then I won't have to worry as much about blowing the mystery speakers in my 4x12  :D
Although Swamps are not EVs so I still need to watch that bass knob.