Replacing P90s with Humbuckers

Started by hayseed, October 21, 2012, 08:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

I have an SG Classic that i got on a killer trade a few months back. The guitar is in perfect shape and it feels great playing it. My only bitch is the P90s. I thought that they would grow on me but i have found that I have been playing my Epi SG 400 with humbuckers because it just sounds so much better! The p90s sound too "honky" to me(too much mid?).I really hate to get rid of the SG Classic, I am a fan of SGs and would like to keep this one in my collection and use it regularly.

As mentioned to me in the "For Sale" thread, apparently there are P90 sized humbuckers that i can use. I've been researching a bit but I am an impatient and poor bastard who wants to buy the right one first! Can anybody suggest a good brand/model? I would like to avoid as much "surgery" to my guitar as possible and get that big full humbucker sound. I may be willing to just change out the bridge pup and leave the neck pup. Or would it be better too just sell the Classic and try to pick up a Standard (that thought has crossed my mind)?

Thanks in advance
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

aowron

GFS carries some humbucker sized p90s: http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Soapbar-180-Humbuckers--Fits-P90-Soapbar-Guitars_c_276.html

However, I haven't tried them, so I cannot tell whether they sound good or not.

Jake

Quote from: Jake on October 15, 2012, 04:58:14 PM
Just popped in a Dimarzio DP209BK, which is their P90-sized Super Distortion. I love me some P90s, but this Firebird's bridge pup sounded muddy and anemic compared to my Juniors' 90s. Couldn't be happier with the new one. It's really like getting a whole new guitar for $62.96.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DIM-DP209BK-LIST

poop.

hayseed

Did u have to do much in the way of routing or fabricating to get it in?

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Fuhgawz

I also have a Gibson SG Classic. I changed out the bridge pickup for a DiMarzio P90-sized humbucker, but I chose their Virtual P90. I really like the sound of the P90's, but couldn't deal with the hum when playing high gain. You need to take off the bracket that's on the bottom of the P90 you take out and put it on the replacement pickup, so you can use the pickup height adjustment screws on the SG pickguard. On an SG Classic the P90's are not screwed directly into the wood like on most P90-guitars.

I really like the Virtual P90. It does not sound exactly like a P90, but more like a humbucker that is voiced to have a P90-like frequency response and output. It has a bit more bass than the P90 that was in there though, but it makes the guitar sound well balanced.

hayseed

I'm probably going to order a bridge mini from Guitar Fetish. Thinking about getting the "Crunchy" mini. Any recommendations?

Sam Hain

Quote from: Jake on October 21, 2012, 11:53:49 AM
Quote from: Jake on October 15, 2012, 04:58:14 PM
Just popped in a Dimarzio DP209BK, which is their P90-sized Super Distortion. I love me some P90s, but this Firebird's bridge pup sounded muddy and anemic compared to my Juniors' 90s. Couldn't be happier with the new one. It's really like getting a whole new guitar for $62.96.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DIM-DP209BK-LIST

Jake are those P90 sized super d's a 4 conductor pup? I'd like to coil tap them.

Jake

They are...and mine is tapped.

Just like "dat azz."
poop.

Sam Hain

Quote from: Jake on October 23, 2012, 10:17:31 PM
They are...and mine is tapped.

Just like "dat azz."
Fuck yeah!!!

Thanks!

hayseed

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Fat Mini's(bridge AND neck) from guitarfetish.com. I took the them to my friend who is a guitar guru  tonite for installation. At first observation, it looked like they may not fit in the existing pup holes without a little persuasion (or at least cutting the guard). But they are a perfect fit! I sat and fiddled with his classic Gibson Firebird, which of course is loaded with mini's, while he checked things out with my SG. My friend agreed that my p90s sounded terrible! He has a guitar with the Seymour Duncan 90's in it and the difference was night and day. Very excited to hear this baby with the new pups!

Fuhgawz

Nice to hear. Now we need a picture. ;)