Main Menu

question for the drummer

Started by natehusky, October 20, 2012, 11:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natehusky

my lugs keep loosening on my vistas , mostly on my floor toms. anybody else have this problem? is the solution lock tight medium? i seem to to remember some one telling me vasaline would help. thoughts?

RAGER

Use a couple jam nuts i guess.  lI had a drummer that did that.  But to me it's not hard to just tighten once in a while.  I'mm sure you do too but I keep a tuning key right handy and retension often in the middle of playing.  I don;t know, just seems normal for something you;re hitting with sticks ???
No Focus Pocus

natehusky

It does seem natural but for some reason it's the bottom lugs so its not like I can tighten them between songs

RAGER

Oh we'll then I would try jam nuts
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justJon

To be clear: Are you talking about the tension rods? The ones that tune the heads? Or are your lugs actually loosening from the shell? Vistalites had a tendency to do that if the little rubber washers are missing or worn, because you can't tighten the lug screws on Vistas as much as you would wooden shells without cracking the acrylic. If it's just the T-rods, yeah, A drop of the removable loctite works great. I used to have to re-tune my snare between songs, because of lots of heavy rimshots. A drop of loctite, and now the only reason I touch the rods are to change heads.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

natehusky

Yeah tension rods . I tightened them up last night but next time I'll use the loctite

db3jed

RAGER

He's talking about the bottom heads.  That doesn't happen from rimshots.  Now if your talking about putting threadlock or jam nuts on the the t rods for the top heads then you still have stretching and temp changes.  How do you figure for that?  I've never used anything of the sort for either.  I can see doing that for the bottom heads but never for the tops.  I'm confused.  it seems every time i sit down I eventually have to tighten the top rods a bit.  But hey I'm mainly a guitar player so enlighten me plz.
No Focus Pocus

justJon

Heads will stretch, so I try to seat/ stretch/crank them as much as possible when I put a new one on. I'm hard enough on heads that by the time they stretch out after all that, it's time for new ones. If the bottom heads are loosening, it's probably from sympathetic vibrations, and I'm just guessing, but i'd say you tune the reso side pretty loose, almost slack? I tune everything pretty tight, and let the size of the drum get me the depth of tone I need. Either way, the loctite will still allow you to turn the t-rods a little bit, if you need to tweak the tuning. 
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Discö Rice

I've never had that issue. Might be because I don't really tune my toms above medium-low. I'd feel pretty weird putting loctite on my lugs, but whatever works, I guess. You said these are Vistalites, right? Could it be that the seam is failing, and that's what's causing the issue?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.